Nationwide commercial car insurance review
Customizable policies that cater to small businesses.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
If your small businesses needs extra coverage or insurance bundling discounts, Nationwide commercial auto insurance could be a strong option. But it’s not available in all states or to all industries.
|Description||Ranked #1 in small business satisfaction, Nationwide commercial car insurance offers plenty of options for any business.|
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- High customer satisfaction
- Financial stability
- Customizable add-ons
- Variety of discounts
- Bundle other business products
- Lack of industry-specific coverage
- Not available in all 50 states
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Paid in full discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||Hybrid car discount|
|Lifetime repairs guarantee||
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Though it’s not available in all states, Nationwide offers a healthy balance of customer satisfaction, coverage options and financial backing.
And while there’s customizable add-ons, if you need special coverage that’s specific to your company, like towing — you might have to look elsewhere.
What commercial car insurance coverage does Nationwide offer?
Nationwide gives their businesses a variety of policies, including several add-ons.
- Liability. Covers bodily injury, medical costs and property damage to others if you’re at fault in an accident.
- Collision. Pays for damages to your business vehicle if you hit someone else or your vehicle rolls over.
- Comprehensive. Get insured for damages not caused by a collision, like natural disasters.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorists. Make sure you’re covered if hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver. In some states, this policy may even cover hit-and-run situations.
- Medical payments or personal injury. Protect yourself or other passengers from medical bills not covered by health insurance.
Where can I get commercial car insurance from Nationwide?
Nationwide provides insurance in many states, but you won’t find coverage in Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Montana, Vermont and Wyoming.
What features does Nationwide offer for businesses?
The company sticks with customizable coverage as its main draw for businesses. However, a representative could point out special offerings in your area.
Features your business may find useful are:
- New vehicle replacement. Get your business vehicle replaced and protect your wallet if you owe an amount above the car’s actual value.
- Hired auto physical damage. Pay for physical damages to a leased or rented vehicle.
- Hired auto loss of use coverage. Covers loss of use and any contractual obligations to the leasing or rental company.
- Auto loan or lease gap coverage. Bridge the gap for a total vehicle loss by covering unpaid amounts on your loan or lease.
- Roadside assistance with expanded towing. Get extra towing coverage beyond your standard policy. Plus, cover quick roadside repairs.
- Rental reimbursement. Use a rental car at no cost to you when your business vehicle is out of order after an accident.
- Online claims. Submit business auto claims from the company’s website.
- On Your Side auto repair network. Get a guarantee on all your repairs when using Nationwide’s auto shop network.
- Bundle business products. Prefer doing business all in one place? Nationwide offers additional products like workers’ compensation and business banking.
How reliable is Nationwide?
Nationwide maintains an A+ BBB rating as well as a Superior financial rating with A.M. Best. The company has strong finances due to its $2 million in assets — meaning the company can afford to pay out claims.
Since Nationwide is a mutual company owned by its policyholders, the focus stays on customers. The 2018 J.D. Power study found that Nationwide had the highest customer satisfaction for US small commercial insurance based on its customer service, policy options, price and claims support.
Pros and cons of Nationwide commercial car insurance
- High customer satisfaction. It’s the top company for customer experience for small-business insurance.
- Financial stability. The company backs itself up financially with millions in surplus.
- Customizable add-ons. Get optional coverage that protects you above your general policy.
- Variety of discounts. While not all business specific, there are still many simple ways businesses can save.
- Bundle other business products. You might like bundling your business insurances in one convenient location.
- Lack of industry-specific coverage. Special industries like towing companies and fleet operations might want package policies specific to them.
- Not available in all 50 states. Nationwide covers 46 states and Washington, DC.
How to contact Nationwide
Nationwide prides itself on its customer support, including 24/7 claims reporting:
- Phone. Call customer service at 877-669-687 from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET on weekdays and 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Local agent. Find a Nationwide representative near you.
- Online. Manage your account online, submit claims, pay bills or visit the company’s frequently asked questions.
- Email. Use the contact form on the website’s contact page. Choose to receive a response by phone or email.
- Mail. Send a letter to company headquarters at Nationwide Headquarters, One Nationwide Plaza, Columbus, Ohio 43215.
Alternatives to Nationwide commercial car insurance
Frequently asked questions
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.