Finally, a subscription box for fishermen.
Mystery Tackle Box lets you gift the angler in your life with exciting new fishing products every month, custom-tailored to their fishing style and interests.
Popular Mystery Tackle Box coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|22 May 2018||$15 off mutli-month subscriptions||MUL****|
|22 May 2018||Save $5 on your first subscription||MON****|
|22 May 2018||5% off Mystery Tackle Box gift plans||GIV****|
|22 May 2018||Earn account credits & discounts as you buy||********|
What can I buy at Mystery Tackle Box?
MTB subscription boxes. Choose from three subscriptions:
- Regular — $14.99 monthly. Contains about $25 worth of fishing gear, allowing you to update your species preferences at any time. Choose from bass, inshore saltwater, walleye, panfish, catfish, trout and ice fishing.
- Pro — $24.99 monthly. Offering some $40 in value, choose from bass, inshore saltwater, walleye or ice fishing.
- Elite — $39.99 monthly. The ultimate bass-fishing monthly surprise, with about $60 in premium bass gear inside.
- Bait and accessories. You don’t have to sign up for a subscription to get in on the MTB action. Shop its online store for one-time tackle, line and accessory purchases.
- Rods and reels.c Earn a 10% credit toward your subscription account when you buy fishing gear from Mystery Tackle Box.
- Clothing. Browse through fun tees, branded apparel and headgear for him, her and baby.
How do I use my coupon code?
What is Mystery Tackle Box?
Founded in 2012 by Minnesotan Ross Gordon, Mystery Tackle Box is among the original subscription boxes on the market. It’s designed to reel in most any angler with plans built on increasing value and fishing specialties.
After you sign up, all that’s left is waiting for your monthly box containing top-of-the-line fishing lures and other tackle from trusted brands before you hit the water. Not sure if Mystery Tackle Box is for you? No sweat: You can cancel your subscription at any time, like water off your back.
Shipping, delivery and payments
Can I get free delivery?
Yes. Delivery is included in your Mystery Tackle Box subscription price. If you add other gear or items to your monthly shipment, those ship for free too.
The only time you pay for shipping is when you order an item outside of a subscription plan. Shipping costs depend on the items in your cart, but are generally $4.99 for smaller items like bait and line and $8 for rods.
How can I track my order?
US customers receive a tracking number by email as soon as your order ships. Or log in to your Mystery Tackle Box account to find your tracking information.
Unfortunately, Canadian customers cannot track their orders.
When you sign up with Mystery Tackle Box, you sign up for 12-, 6-, 3- or 1-month subscriptions that you pay upfront.
Note that plans automatically renew for the same period you signed up. That means if you pay $43.50 for three months when you first signed up, you’re automatically charged $43.50 for another three if you don’t opt out of auto-renewals.
MTB accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover. Or pay for your subscription through PayPal.
What’s Mystery Tackle Box’s return policy?
Mystery Tackle Box does not accept returns and exchanges on its subscription boxes. You also won’t receive a refund for subscriptions you’ve paid for if you decide you no longer want them.
But you can return rods, reels, clothing and other items sold separately on the site within 30 days of purchase. All products returned for a refund or exchange must be in new, unused condition in their original, undamaged packaging.
If you receive an item that’s damaged or defective, contact customer support to arrange for a free return. Otherwise, a return fee is deducted from your refund total.
When’s the next sale?
Mystery Tackle Box runs sales periodically throughout the year, but many of these offers require you to sign in to your subscription account to redeem them.
If you already have an MTB account, you could save 20% on most shop items during a special offer.
Plus, sign up for finder’s deals newsletter to be the first to hear about the best sales and promotions being held online every week.
What sets this brand apart?
You’ve likely heard about many other subscription services, but very few solely focus on fishing gear.
Mystery Tackle Box commits to filling your box with only high-quality angling and fishing gear, so you don’t have to worry about receiving cheap products or knock-offs. In fact, Mystery Tackle Box boasts that it’s the original fishing subscription box others have tried to imitate.
What do people really say about Mystery Tackle Box?
Online reviewers agree that Mystery Tackle Box blows other fishing boxes out of the water.
Most customers are thrilled with the quality and variety of their new lures, and customer service sounds friendly and easy to get in touch with. Lots of reviewers even mention having learned something from their MTB, thanks to a seasonal bait selection they probably wouldn’t have otherwise tried.
But any online service is bound to get negative reviews, however few. At least one reviewer felt that product quality has decreased over the years since the company’s founding. Others warn that monthly boxes were lost during shipping or arrived much later than expected.
My review of Mystery Tackle Box: Pro box
As someone from a fishing-obsessed family, I’ve seen more than my fair share of junk fishing lures that cost a fortune. So I was eager to see what products Mystery Tackle Box had to offer.
It’s hard to miss the fold-out measuring tape at the top of the Mystery Tackle Box, which instantly presents a challenge: Catch a big enough fish for a chance to enter a contest and win free stuff.
I thought this was a nice touch. Plus, there’s all kinds of useful information in the welcome booklet, both about bait-fishing techniques and sharing pictures on social media to enter contests.
Breaking down the box
- Lucky John 62mm/13g Vikara. “Designed in Japan” is on the front of the box, which some online reviews didn’t like. But if you can get past the stigma of non-US-made lures, this is actually a quality product.
- Venom Mad Tom 4-pack. If you’re a sucker for that made-in-the-USA seal, these Mad Toms’ll do just fine. They’re about the same quality you’d find in an average bait aisle, but they only come with one 1/16-ounce head.
- Biospawn ExoStick 8-pack. Compared to other stick bait products out there, these definitely seem to have more movement. Plus, they’re made in the USA.
- Karl’s Stash power spinners. These are MTB’s own line of gear. They don’t look like anything special but are worth tossing in your tackle box.
- Stickies wacky/drop shot hook. You can never have too many hooks.
- Berkley skinny cutter. A quality lure with sharp hooks. No complaints here.
- Stan Sloan’s Zorro mouse head swim jig. It has a wire keeper, which can come in handy. Overall, a solid lure that easily costs $5 by itself.
- Heavy Metal finesse football jig. This is a nice-size jig for shallow water or even pond fishing. According to the packaging, its skirt is tied by hand.
- “Bling.” OK, it’s a sticker. But it’s a nice little extra. My significant other has a collection of similar stickers that end up on tackle boxes and tool boxes, so I’m sure he’d be happy to get a new one every month.
All in all, this $24.99 box is valued at $45.24. And yes, I double-checked the retail prices that came inside the box, and they were pretty spot-on.
If you’re someone who goes through a lot of bait in one season, this box is a good deal. On the other hand, if you tend to stick to select tried-and-true lures, you might end up with a surplus of bait that you don’t fish.
How can I contact customer support?
Mystery Tackle Box recommends that you contact its customer support team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also try live chat, but it depends on team availability.
You can also leave a voicemail with your contact information and question at 844-682-5833. According to the website, someone will be in touch within 48 hours.
What about social media?
Search for Mystery Tackle Box, and you’re sure to come across its “spokesperson” — lifelong fisherman and Bassmaster Classic’s All-Time Loudest Fan, Karl VonDibble. You can check out his YouTube channel at “The Other KVD.” He’ll even interact with Facebook users every now and again. Whether you’re in a mood for a laugh or like to learn more about what’s inside a Mystery Tackle Box, the brand’s social media is a must-follow.
Pros and cons
- Reasonable prices. With subscriptions ranging from $14.99 to $39.99 a month, you don’t have to spend a fortune to give the perfect gift to the fisherman in your life.
- Save 10% on rods and reels. If you’re a subscriber, you get a 10% credit toward your subscription with every rod or reel you buy from MTB.
- Update your details anytime. Want to try a new fishing type? Just change your species selections from your online account.
- Returns aren’t free. Unless an items arrives damaged or defective, you’ll have to pay for returns.
Shopping for a fishing fanatic can be tricky, especially if you’re not into the sport yourself. Mystery Tackle Box takes the guesswork out of choosing the perfect gift for the angler in your life. It’s known for high-quality lures and tackle with the longevity to prove it.
Frequently asked questions about Mystery Tackle Box