Mystery Tackle Box guide
Finally, a subscription box for fishermen.
Mystery Tackle Box lets you gift the angler in your life with exciting new fishing products every month, custom-tailored to their fishing style and interests. Or, browse and make a one-time purchase on tackle, apparel, rods, reels and more from Karl’s Bait and Tackle.
Orders over $0
At customers expense
- Considerable savings with monthly subscriptions
- Save 10% on rods and reels from Karl’s Bait and Tackle.
- Update your species selections or account information any time.
- No free returns
Mystery Tackle Box reviews and complaints
Online reviewers agree that Mystery Tackle Box blows other fishing boxes out of the water. Most customers are thrilled with the quality and variety of their new lures, and customer service sounds friendly and easy to get in touch with. Lots of reviewers even mention having learned something from their MTB, thanks to a seasonal bait selection they probably wouldn’t have otherwise tried.
But any online service is bound to get negative reviews, however few. At least one reviewer felt that product quality has decreased over the years since the company’s founding. Others warn that monthly boxes were lost during shipping or arrived much later than expected.
Read about our first-hand experience with Mystery Tackle Box in our review.
What can you buy
Mystery Tackle Box is the subscription service owned by the same company that runs Karl’s Bait and Tackle. Through MTB’s website, you can sign up for its subscription boxes. Follow the link listed on the MTB website to head to Karl’s Bait and Tackle, where you can make one-time purchases of your favorite items, plus browse a large selection of rods, reels, apparel and other fishing equipment.
- MTB subscription boxes. Choose from three subscriptions:
- Regular — $16.99 monthly. Contains about $25 worth of fishing gear, allowing you to update your species preferences at any time. Choose from bass, inshore saltwater, walleye, panfish, catfish, trout and ice fishing.
- Pro — $26.99 monthly. Offering some $40 in value, choose from bass, inshore saltwater, walleye or ice fishing.
- Elite — $39.99 monthly. The ultimate bass-fishing monthly surprise, with about $60 in premium bass gear inside.
- Bait and accessories. You don’t have to sign up for a subscription to get in on the MTB action. Shop its online store for one-time tackle, line and accessory purchases.
- Rods and reels. Earn a 10% credit toward your subscription account when you buy fishing gear from Mystery Tackle Box.
- Clothing. Browse through fun tees, branded apparel and headgear for him, her and baby.
Shipping, payments and returns
Can I get free delivery?
Yes! All MTB subscription boxes ship free.
If you spend $49 or more on one-time purchases through Karl’s Bait and Tackle, you’ll also get free shipping.
All subscription boxes ship standard for free, arriving in five to seven business days to the continental US —and up to two business weeks to Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, Puerto Rico or a United States Military Base.
All other items purchased through the Karl’s Bait and Tackle website incur shipping fees, unless you spend $49 or more.
|Shipping option||Cost||Delivery speed|
|Standard US||$4.99||5–7 business days|
|Standard Canada||$6.99||2–3 business weeks|
|Two-day||$9.99||2 business days|
All fishing rods incur an extra $12 shipping fee and can only be shipped to the US.
MTB accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover and PayPal.
You sign up for 12-, 6-, 3- or 1-month subscriptions that you pay for up front. You’ll get a discount by signing up for subscriptions lasting longer than one month.
All plans automatically renew for the same period you signed up. That means if you pay $25.99 for three months when you first signed up, you’re automatically charged $25.99 for another three if you don’t opt out of auto-renewals.
Returning your order
Mystery Tackle Box does not accept returns or exchanges on its subscription boxes. You also won’t receive a refund for subscriptions you’ve paid for if you decide you no longer want them.
But you can return rods, reels, clothing and other items sold separately on Karl’s Bait and Tackle within 30 days of purchase. All products returned for a refund or exchange must be in new, unused condition in their original, undamaged packaging.
If you receive an item that’s damaged or defective, contact customer support to arrange for a free return. Otherwise, a return fee is deducted from your refund total, unless you choose to accept store credit.
Can I exchange for a different color or size?
Yes, most one-time purchases can be exchanged for something different within 30 days. Email email@example.com to request an exchange.
How do I return an item to Mystery Tackle Box?
Contact the company at firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 days of purchase to begin the returns process.
What sets this brand apart?
You’ve likely heard about many other subscription services, but very few solely focus on fishing gear.
Mystery Tackle Box commits to filling your box with only high-quality angling and fishing gear, so you don’t have to worry about receiving cheap products or knock-offs. In fact, Mystery Tackle Box boasts that it’s the original fishing subscription box others have tried to imitate.
How can I contact customer support?
To get in touch with MTB customer service:
- Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Live chat online.
- Call 844-682-5833 to leave a voicemail with your contact information and question.
Shopping for a fishing fanatic can be tricky, especially if you’re not into the sport yourself. Mystery Tackle Box takes the guesswork out of choosing the perfect gift for the angler in your life. It’s known for high-quality lures and tackle with the longevity to prove it.