Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Western Union money transfer review
An easy way to send cash overseas — even if the recipient doesn't have a bank account.
Western Union's coronavirus responseIf you’re used to sending money in person and can no longer access brick-and-mortar stores due to lockdown, WU has launched the Digital Location program. We understand this can be a complicated shift in your money sending routine, so please refer to the Digital Location section of this guide for more information on where to find a Digital Location and how to use it.
Western Union provides a variety of options
Western Union helps individuals and businesses transfer money around the globe and right here in our own country. You’ll find many options for transferring and collecting funds, like cash pickup, bank account deposits and more. In Malaysia, you can make your transfer online, through WU’s mobile app or in person. The variety of options Western Union offers is unusual in today’s mostly online-based money transfer providers.
How much does it cost to transfer money with Western Union?
International money transfer fees vary depending on how much money you send, the country you send it to, how you pay for your transaction and how your beneficiary will receive the money. The best way to learn how much you’ll pay is to input your transfer details into the price estimator on Western Union’s website or mobile app, which you can use to check the exchange rate and fee for your specific transaction before you proceed.
How are Western Union’s exchange rates?
You’ll need to take the exchange rate into account when sending money overseas. Western Union’s rates are updated regularly based on the market. The rate you get for your transaction will include a margin added on by Western Union, so there could be a difference of up to 5% (or even higher in some cases) depending on the currency you send. You can find out the rate that applies to your specific transaction by clicking ‘Send money’ at the top of Western Union’s website.
What types of transfers can I carry out with Western Union?
There are multiple ways you can send money overseas with Western Union, starting with the ease and convenience of direct bank account debit (FPX) online transfers. The next option is to initiate a transfer online to lock in the fee and exchange rate, and pay at a participating Western Union agent location within 24 hours. Lastly, you can also visit one of Western Union’s 2,500 Malaysian locations for a conventional face-to-face transaction using cash or a debit card.
With Western Union, your recipient can collect the cash you send by:
- Cash pickup. Cash transfers sent online or in person are available for pickup within minutes at any number of agent locations worldwide.
- Bank account deposit. Expect to wait two to five days for funds to arrive at your recipient’s overseas bank account. However, this service is only available when sending money to select countries.
Pros and cons of using Western Union
- Trusted provider. Western Union has managed domestic and international money transfers since 1871.
- Huge network. More than 500,000 agent locations around the world.
- Flexible transfer options. Whether you pay with cash at an agent location or a bank account for cash pickup or a bank deposit, Western Union can take care of your transaction.
- No need for your recipient to have a bank account. The availability of cash pickup transfers means you can send money to someone who doesn’t have a bank account.
- Weak exchange rates. With weak exchange rates that can be nearly 5% more than the mid-market rate, you have cheaper online options.
- High fees. Where some companies offer free transfers or low-fee transfers, expect to pay more in fees to transfer with Western Union.
- Not suitable for large transfers. The maximum daily online transfer limit is RM50,000, so Western Union isn’t a good choice if you need to send a larger amount.
How does Western Union compare to other services?
Steps to transfer your money online
Western Union offers plenty of useful transfer options when you need to send money overseas. Before you commit to sending your hard-earned dough, of course, you should always make sure to compare all the available options and find the best deal.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Best way to transfer large amounts of money internationally
Should you use a bank, money transfer provider, peer-to-peer network or Bitcoin? Compare the options based on fees, exchange rates, security and simplicity.
How long does an international wire transfer take?
Ever wondered how long it takes for an international wire transfer to arrive in your recipient’s bank account? Find out here.
International bank drafts guide
If you’re looking for a secure way to send money overseas, an international bank draft could be for you — but if speed is important, consider using a money transfer service instead.
How to transfer money internationally from a bank account
From bank transfers to specialist money transfer companies, there are several options available when you need to transfer money overseas from your bank account.
Wise (TransferWise) review
Read our Wise review to see the exchange rates, fees and what to expect when you send a transfer.
PayPal international money transfers
PayPal allows you to send money to friends and family all around the world, read our review to learn more about this diverse service.
Western Union deals and coupons
Save money by finding Western Union promo codes and by comparing other money transfer services for your transfer.
We go into detail on MoneyGram’s fast transfers to 200+ countries and territories worldwide.
Malaysian Ringgit to Japanese Yen Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Malaysian Ringgit to Japanese Yen. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to JPY.
Malaysia Ringgit to Vietnamese Dong Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Malaysian Ringgit to Vietnamese Dong. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to VND.
Ask an Expert