By default we are always referring to Ria online transfers, unless otherwise noted. When specifically discussing Ria agent locations, we mean the physical, in-person locations found around the world. Keep in mind that Ria agent locations are able to set their own limits, transfer destinations and fee schedule, all of which may not align with what you see online.
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Ria international money transfers
Send cash pick-up or bank account transfers to more than 160 countries around the world.
At the time of writing, Ria provides its online money transfer service in Malaysia using the IME-REMIT system. It is a proprietary online money transfer system introduced by a leading Malaysian money transfer company which Ria has acquired previously.
Why should I consider Ria?
- Fast transfers. It can take as little as 15 minutes for the money to be ready for cash pickup. This option can get money quickly to a loved one in an emergency, but check that hours of operation for the location you’re sending to work for your recipient.
- Multiple payment options. Pay with a bank account through the online banking gateway of FPX member banks for online transfers or pay with cash at a Ria agent location. Because different payment methods attract different fees, weigh the benefits of each for the best deal.
- Diverse delivery options. Send money to a bank account, for pick up at an agent location or, in some markets, for home or work delivery.
- Worldwide transfer network. With a network of more than 389,000 agent locations in over 160 countries, Ria is the third-largest provider of international money transfers worldwide.
- Bank-beating rates. Using Ria to transfer money internationally is not only often faster than your bank, but lower fees means more money for your recipient.
What to be aware of with Ria
- Maximum daily limits. Online transfers through the IME-REMIT system are limited to RM30,000 daily — the limit provided by online banking portal of the local Malaysian banks. Ria agent location limits may impose further limitations.
- Transaction fees vary. Fees vary depending on your transaction. Agent locations fees may differ from what you see online.
- No hedging options. Unlike some of its competitors, Ria does not offer forward contracts, limit orders or any of the other tools you’ll find to lock in strong rates on future transfers. Hedging tools can help you save money when used appropriately to lock in an exchange rate for future transfers.
- Inconsistent markups. Exchange rates with Ria vary depending on the country you’re sending to — anywhere from 0.25% to 3.5% on top of the mid-market rate.
Ria’s exchange rates and fees explained
Ria’s fees vary between online and agent locations. But for online transfers, fees depend on:
- Location. Fees depend on where you’re sending from and where you’re sending to.
- Amount. Different fees are charged based on how much you’re sending.
- Delivery. To send cash, fees are generally higher, while receiving money to a bank account can be less expensive.
Unlike many competitors, Ria offers the same exchange rate no matter how much you send.
Calculate how much your transfer with Ria could cost
Choose your currency and desired transfer amount. Exchange rates change frequently, so visit Ria’s site for a final quote.
Where can I use Ria?
Ria is available in more than 160 countries through over 389,000 agent locations. See our complete list of available currencies below.
Ria offices are available in:
- New Zealand
- Puerto Rico
- United Kingdom
- United States
Online transfers are available to residents sending from:
- Malaysia (using IME-REMIT system)
- United Kingdom
- United States
How does Ria keep my money safe?
Ria Money Transfer has been in operation since 1987 and is a global company that serves millions of customers. It partners with large brands like Walmart, and it uses many security features to keep your data and money safe:
- Identity verification. Suspicious activity such as logging in from various IP addresses and sending money to many diverse locations may trigger flags to help protect your account.
- 24/7 Security Experts. A security team works around the clock to monitor transactions for suspicious activity.
- Only storing the necessary data. Ria doesn’t store credit or debit card information on its servers, which means your card information can’t be stolen if Ria is hacked.
What Ria’s reviews look like
Reviews accurate as of 01 April, 2020.
|Trustpilot||4 out of 5 — based on 3,220 customer reviews|
|CompareRemit||2.6 out of 5 — based on 621 customer reviews|
|Monito||5.8 out of 10 — based on staff reviews|
Most online complaints target the fees charged at Ria agent locations that differ from prices quoted online. Ria lists this possibility on its website, but you can easily miss this note while getting a price quote. You can find answers to other questions in Ria’s extensive FAQ section, or contact the company by email, phone or social media.
A subsidiary of Euronet Worldwide, Ria is the third-largest money transfer service in the world. Ria is headquartered in Buena Park, California, and sends money throughout North and Latin America, Australia, Asia, Africa and Europe. In 2014, the company paired with Walmart to launch Walmart-2-Walmart to send money to any Walmart store in the US or Puerto Rico.
How do I send money through Ria?
Five steps to sending money online:
- Specify how much you’d like to send and where you’d like to transfer your funds to.
- Confirm the transaction summary that details the exchange rate and fees that apply to your transfer.
- Enter your recipient’s full name, email address and phone number.
- Select how you’d like your money delivered: bank deposit, cash pickup or courier delivery, if available in your recipient’s country.
- Transfer your funds around the world.
What’s needed to transfer cash online through Ria
To transfer cash online through Ria, you’ll need:
- Access to the IME-REMIT system. Create an account as you’re setting up your transaction for an online transfer.
- Valid payment. Ria accepts payment by bank account through the online banking gateway of FPX member banks.
- Valid ID. A government-issued ID may be required while creating your account or sending a transfer at a Ria agent location.
- Recipient’s name and contact information. The name on the transfer must match their government-issued ID.
- Recipient’s bank account information. If you’re transferring money to their bank account, you’ll need both their account and routing numbers.
- Your contact and banking information. That includes the account or card number and security information for the account you’re transferring from.
How to access the IME-REMIT system
You need to complete two simple steps before you can access the IME-REMIT system and send an online transfer. Here’s what you’ll need to do.
Once you’ve completed the process, you can start sending money to any available countries just by logging in to the system with your registered email ID.
How to check the status of my transaction?
Log in to the IME-REMIT system and choose the Transaction Status option menu. You can enter the IME Control Number (ICN) and check the status of the transaction.
Does Ria have a mobile app?
Ria Money Transfers has an app on both Google Play and the App Store though some features may not work in Malaysia. The app makes it possible to:
- Send again. Repeat a previous transfer by selecting it from your activity list in the app.
- Log in using biometrics. Both face and fingerprint recognition can be used to log in.
- Share order details. Sending key order information like the tracking PIN number to your recipient can be done with just a few taps.
- Find an agent location. Use the in-app map to find agent locations based on your GPS or around the world.
|Reviews accurate as of 01 April, 2020|
|Google Play Store||2.7 out of 5 — based on 12 customer reviews|
|Apple App Store||2.9 out of 5 — based on 125 customer reviews|
Ria is a straightforward option to send money all over the world. It has relatively low markups on the mid-market rate and offers secure transfers to its customers. Digital competitors like Xe and OFX often offer lower fees and stronger rates, but those specialists may not offer cash pickup at as many locations.
Frequently asked questions
What are Ria’s customer service hours?
Ria’s customer service team is available at 1800 882 077 or +603 2050 3456 every day, from 9am to 9pm.
Other ways to contact Ria include:
- Social media
- Through an online form
- At an agent location
Why is my Ria account locked?
You may have entered the incorrect password for your account too many times.
Ria also locks accounts that have suspicious activity, requiring you to call the customer service team to unlock your account.
Why is Ria reviewing my transfer?
Ria reviews all money transfers for compliance with know-your-customer (KYC) and anti–money laundering (AML) industry protocols, which involve knowing the identity of its customers, their financial activities and any risks they pose to Ria’s business. Ria typically reviews transfers within a day, contacting you if it detects any problems.
How do I cancel a transfer?
Log in to your account and view your recent orders. Click Cancel next to the order you want to cancel. Fill out the details and submit. Ria will not guarantee the cancellation until they are able to confirm a local payout partner has not yet been paid out your recipient.
How long will a refund take if I cancel my transaction?
Typically 2 to 10 business days. Refunds depend on how you paid and any problems with your transfer.
How does Ria compare to other services?
More guides on Finder
Send money to Israel
Want to send MYR to Israel? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Send money to Uzbekistan
Need to transfer MYR to UZS? Learn how to pick the right service to send your money to Uzbekistan.
Send money to Nigeria
MYR-NGN is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Malaysia to Nigeria.
Can I send money to someone in Cuba?
Learn what you should know if you want to send money to a loved one in Cuba.
Best way to transfer large amounts of money internationally
Should you use a bank, money transfer provider, peer-to-peer network or Bitcoin? Compare the options based on fees, exchange rates, security and simplicity.
Send money to Hong Kong
Looking for the best way to send money from Malaysia to Hong Kong? Services, rates and fees compared.
Send money to Lebanon
Want to send MYR to Lebanon? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Send money to Morocco
Looking for the best way to send money from Malaysia to Morocco? Services, rates and fees compared.
Send money to Italy
Want to send MYR to Italy? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Send money to Spain
Sending money to Spain from Malaysia? Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.