Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy Bitcoin with cash: 3 different ways
Simple ways to buy Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies with cash.
Cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin are often purchased online, but that doesn’t mean you can’t purchase them with cold-hard-cash. It may involve a few more steps than usual, but thankfully there are several ways to purchase Bitcoin with cash in Malaysia.
Cryptocurrency exchanges that accept cash
How to buy cryptocurrency with cash
- How it works: Meet a seller near you in person, and buy Bitcoin with cash in hand, or any other payment option you agree on.
- Available exchanges:
- What to consider: Both the buyer and seller can be nervous about this kind of transaction. Make sure you only meet in a public place, and try to only deal with sellers that have a good reputation on the site.
- How it works: Deposit cash into a machine which will then deposit Bitcoin into your wallet.
- Available exchanges:
- What to consider: If there’s a Bitcoin ATM near you, then this might be a quick and convenient way of getting Bitcoin deposited to your wallet. However, it might involve significant fees.
Pay cash at a money transfer service
- How it works: Go into a Western Union or MoneyGram branch (or equivalent), and pay the cash for transfer to the specified recipient.
- Available exchanges
- What to consider: As long as there’s a branch near you, this is a very easy way to pay cash for the service of your choice. The downsides are that you lose some anonymity and you might get caught by fees.
What are the pros and cons of buying cryptocurrency with cash?
Like most things, paying with cash has both benefits and downsides. Depending on your preferred method above, you might experience the following.
- Typically not the most cost-effective option
- You will generally be limited in the amount you can buy
- Your platform options will be more limited
What are the fees relative to other payment methods?
Your fees will vary depending on your exact cash payment method. You’ll also find different standard commissions and fees depending on your method. For example, you can generally expect premium prices and relatively high commission fees for the convenience of paying with a prepaid card.
- Peer-to-peer cash in hand. Zero fees other than what’s included in the transaction cost.
- Bitcoin ATM. The fees and costs will vary between ATMs, but you can probably expect them to be relatively high compared to the most affordable options.
- Money transfer service. The fees will depend on which service you use, and whether there are also currency exchange fees involved.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Bitcoin ETFs from Malaysia
Bitcoin ETFs are coming to market. Here’s how you can invest in them.
Where to buy Dogecoin (DOGE)
A beginner’s guide to buying and selling this decentralised, peer-to-peer cryptocurrency.
Common Bitcoin scams (and how to avoid them)
A comprehensive guide to what you need to know to detect and avoid some of the most common cryptocurrency scams.
Bitcoin mining: How does Bitcoin mining work and is it profitable?
Learn more about Bitcoin’s inner workings with the complete guide to Bitcoin mining.
Cryptocurrency staking guide: How to stake coins for rewards
Staking is one of the most popular ways to earn an income with cryptocurrency – learn how to get started with this guide.
How to buy shares in Malaysia (2021 update)
Learn everything you need to know in this easy to follow, step-by-step guide to buying shares in Malaysia.
How to sell XRP (XRP)
Your step-by-step guide on how to sell XRP (XRP) for both fiat currency and cryptocurrency, including detailed instructions for novice crypto traders.
How to buy and trade Ripple (XRP)
Step-by-step instructions on how to buy XRP, the cryptocurrency used in the Ripple payment network, with fiat currency or digital currency.
How to sell Ethereum (ETH)
If you want to sell Ethereum (ETH) for fiat currency or cryptocurrency but don’t know how, you’ll find the help you need in this handy guide.
How to invest in gold in Malaysia
If you’re thinking of investing in gold, our guide will explain how and where to buy gold in Malaysia as well as the pros and cons of buying gold.
Ask an Expert