This no-frills DNA kit offers one of the cheapest, most user-friendly tests on the market.
Bottom line: MyHeritage offers quick and inexpensive autosomal DNA testing to help you learn more about yourself. While it draws on a relatively limited gene pool for analysis, it offers handy tools and helpful analysis at a cheap price point.
How does MyHeritage work?
The MyHeritage DNA test uses microarray-based autosomal DNA testing. Autosomal DNA refers to the material found in a chromosome inherited from both your parents. This raw data helps calculate your DNA matches and ethnicity analysis from all ancestral lines.
To begin your DNA testing journey, order a MyHeritage DNA kit online. Once you receive your kit, follow the instructions to swab your cheek and submit your sample for analysis. You can view your results online in as soon as three to four weeks.
Features of a MyHeritage DNA kit
Besides understanding and connecting with potential relatives, you can use MyHeritage’s interactive map to learn more about the ethnicity regions your DNA traces back to, including ancestral places and locations of key births and deaths.
- Analysis from 42 global regions. MyHeritage accesses gene pools across 42 regions to help you gain a better understanding of your ethnicity composition. Users who trace their roots to Europe may get a more comprehensive analysis. MyHeritage has a large pool of European members, which allows for a more accurate analysis of people in that continent.
- Learn about distant relatives with DNA matches. MyHeritage’s DNA matches help you identify potential relatives who you might want to contact. You can even access a database of common ancestral surnames to pinpoint the origin of your last name.
- Helpful tools to interpret your results. Once you receive your testing results, you can use the range of tools available to create a MyHeritage family tree. If you’ve had DNA testing in the past, you can even connect your raw data to MyHeritage’s tools to improve the accuracy of your latest results. Otherwise, you may use MyHeritage’s chromosome browser to create graphs that display shared DNA components you have with your newfound relatives.
- Comprehensive details that come with a subscription. If you upgrade your MyHeritage account to a yearly subscription, you gain access to even more detailed analyses. For example, you could access an expanded family tree or gene records including immigrant papers, marriage records and birth records.
- An add-on health kit. For a small additional price, you can get access to a MyHeritage DNA Health Kit. This kit examines your DNA to generate 36 health reports, including 18 papers with personalized findings on your potential medical risks. The other 18 reports, on the other hand, may include carrier risk assessments, which are reports that examine your ability to pass genetic conditions on to future generations.
MyHeritage offers one testing kit for $79, not including shipping, and is one of the cheapest testing kits on the market.
Where you end up paying the most is in its annual subscriptions. Aside from its free Basic package, MyHeritage offers four different subscriptions.
This is how they all break down:
|Basic is a free package offering you a family tree of up to 250 people.||Free with your DNA test results|
|Premium gets you 2,500 people in your family tree and lets you explore DNA match details, view other related family trees and shared relatives.||$89 for the first year, $129 every additional year|
|Data gives you 250 people in your family tree, plus access to over 12 billion historical records that it automatically matches up to your family tree database.||$129 for the first year, $189 every additional year|
|PremiumPlus covers the same as the Premium package plus advanced family tree options with unlimited people in your family tree.||$149 for the first year, $209 every additional year.|
|Complete gives you all the features of the PremiumPlus and the Data packages combined into one.||$199 for the first year, $299 every additional year|
Pros and cons
Here’s what you can expect from a MyHeritage testing kit:
- Fast turnaround. Expect quick results, typically within a month.
- Price. It’s one of the cheapest DNA tests on the market.
- Free features. MyHeritage allows access to a large number of features without requiring a paid subscription.
- Expensive subscriptions. The yearly subscription plans can get pricey.
- Limited database. It has a smaller DNA database than more expensive competitors.
Compare MyHeritage to other DNA test kits
Is MyHeritage right for me?
Compare and consider various factors before choosing a DNA testing kit.
- Price. Do MyHeritage’s tests fit into your budget?
- Features. Does MyHeritage offer the features that you’re interested in? Ultimately, you should only purchase a DNA testing kit if it directly meets the reason you’re having a DNA test — whether it’s to discover distant relatives or trace your family history.
- Level of analysis. How comprehensive are the test results offered? Do they answer the questions you had in mind?
- Tools for interpretation. While MyHeritage offers tools like the MyHeritage family tree, other testing companies provide pie charts, written reports and other visuals to help you understand your results. Ultimately, you should choose a provider that could present your results in the most intuitive way possible.
- Speed. How quickly can you get your test results?
With all the DNA testing kits available, be sure to do your research to find the kit that best meets your family history inquiry.
MyHeritage (MyHeritage.com) is a DNA testing company based in Israel that offers at-home DNA kits. They’ve counted over 61 million users worldwide, and provide testing services in 42 supported languages and ethnicities.