SiriusXM Radio music streaming review: How it works, pricing and features
Get a satellite radio plan that can go way more places than just your car.
SiriusXM Radio is the only big name in satellite radio in the US, and it’s looking to hold onto its subscribers with exclusive content, ad-free listening options, sports coverage and more. But like traditional radio you don’t get to select your songs, and customizing is limited.
Free trial length
Individual plan price
|Free trial length||
|Family plan offered||
|Family plan device limit|
|Family plan price||$|
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at finder.com who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
SiriusXM radio delivers a service unlike most online music streaming providers. Before you commit to a plan, offline or otherwise, check out your options and give a few stations a listen to see if you can find something that suits your taste.
Pros and cons
- Full suite of plans. SiriusXM covers all bases when it comes to plan options, with everything from a basic music subscription to a package with over 175 channels — and even options for your boat or plane.
- Not just music. Listen to sports games, sports talk, political talk, get traffic and weather updates for certain areas and exclusive SiriusXM video content.
- Built in to some cars. SiriusXM lists that it’s compatible with 43 vehicle makes on its website and vehicle years going back to 2004 — plus, if you can’t get it built in you can still buy an external radio.
- Potentially expensive. Top-tier package includes tons of sports programming on top of music, but it’s $20.99 a month — over double the price of several popular music streaming services.
- Songs aren’t available on demand. SiriusXM is a radio service, which means you can’t search and play songs on demand or make custom playlists.
What features does SiriusXM offer?
Certain music channels are ad and even DJ free, so you can listen to your favorite genre without the interruption of chatter. To get the highest number of ad-free music channels, you’ll end up paying more than if you can live with just a few.
Listening outside of your car
You don’t have to have a built-in or standalone radio to listen to SiriusXM channels. Certain subscription plans allow you to listen online via mobile app, desktop and more.
Get access to live NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL games with the All Access plan from SiriusXM. Other plans can include some live games, plus the sports talk shows you also get with the higher-tier package.
Exclusive video content
SiriusXM isn’t just for talk and music. According to its site as of October 2019, SiriusXM offers over 5,000 hours of interviews, on-demand shows and performances — plus exclusive videos with Howard Stern. Video services aren’t available with every service tier.
What music is available on SiriusXM?
Since SiriusXM is a radio service, it works a bit differently from your standard online music streaming provider. Instead of searching and playing songs and artists on your own, it offers over 220 radio stations to choose from with its top-tier plan. Genres include Christian, country, dance and electronic, hip-hop and rhythm and blues, jazz, pop and rock.
What devices is SiriusXM compatible with?
Take your talk and tunes anywhere or listen at home with any of these devices.
Mac and PC
- Desktops and laptops via web browser
Android and iOS
- SiriusXM mobile app for Apple iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch with iOS 9 or later
- SiriusXM mobile app for Android
- Amazon Alexa devices
- Apple TV
- Built-in car, boat or plane device
- Google Chromecast
- PlayStation 3 and 4
- Smart TVs including Android, LG, Roku, Samsung and Sony
- Standalone portable radios
Smart home device compatibility
- Alexa-enabled devices including Echo Dot, Amazon Tap and Amazon Fire TV.
- Chromecast devices. And to any device with Chromecast built in.
- Roku streams Sirius XM inclusively with your paid subscription.
- Sonos when integrated with Amazon Alexa.
- Sony on your PS3 and PS4 consoles with the SiriusXM app.
How much does SiriusXM cost?
SiriusXM offers over a dozen subscription options, starting at $4 a month for students.
|Sirius All Access||$20.99 monthly; $251.88 annually|
|Sirius Mostly Music||$10.99 monthly; $131.88 annually|
|Sirius Select||$15.99 monthly; $191.88 annually|
Outside the car plans
|Sirius News, Sports and Talk||$10.99 monthly; $131.88 annually|
|SiriusXM Essential||$8 monthly|
|SiriusXM for Business||$24.95 monthly|
|SiriusXM Premier||$13 monthly|
|SiriusXM Student Premier||$4 monthly|
- Sirius A La Carte
- SiriusXM All-In-One Packages
- SiriusXM for Boats
- SiriusXM Planes