M&T Bank business loans review
This East Coast bank offers low-interest financing but poor customer service.
finder.com’s rating: 3.4 / 5.0
Bottom line: This regional bank offers a range of low-cost financing to small businesses on the East Coast. But customers overwhelmingly complain of poor customer service that sometimes results in late fees and penalties. Read our full review or get our 30-second take.
|Loan Term||12 to 60 months|
|APR||6.49% to 9.99%|
- Offers SBA Express and 7(a) loans
- Secured and unsecured term loans available
- More transparent about rates than most banks
- Services available in Spanish
- Doesn’t disclose requirements
- Customer reviews highlight poor service
- Not transparent about fees
Our take on M&T Bank business loans
M&T Bank is a regional bank that offers business financing to eight states along the East Coast and Washington, DC. It goes beyond the standard offerings to include options that aren’t available at every bank, like unsecured term loans and Small Business Administration (SBA) Express loans. And, unlike most banks I’ve reviewed, it’s upfront about the rates, loan amounts and terms for most types of financing available.
With rates from 6.49% APR, M&T Bank is a good option for low-cost business financing. However, this isn’t a starter loan. Banks typically require at least two years in business and a personal credit score of 670 or higher to qualify for financing. They can also take weeks or months to fund. For more flexible requirements or a faster turnaround, consider an online lender instead.
Unsecured financing with low rates and short terms
M&T bank’s unsecured business installment loan is a good deal — especially for financing without collateral.
- Interest rates are fixed and range from 6.49% to 9.99%
- Loan amounts range from $10,000 to $100,000
- Loan terms run from 12 to 60 months
- There’s no prepayment penalty
Some of M&T Bank’s other financing options may come with even lower rates — like SBA loans and lines of credit. But this lender doesn’t disclose how much it charges in fees such as origination fees, returned payment penalties or late fees.
M&T Bank reviews are mostly complaints about customer service
|BBB customer reviews||1.09 out of 5 stars, based on 105 customer reviews|
|BBB customer complaints||568 customer complaints|
|Trustpilot Score||2.6 out of 5 stars, based on 5 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||28 September 2021|
M&T Bank gets overwhelmingly negative reviews on sites like the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot. And while most are not from M&T Bank business customers, almost all are complaints about long wait times and frustrating interactions with customer service.
Many banks have struggled to handle the abnormally high volume of customer calls during COVID-19. But several complaints can’t be explained away by the coronavirus. Many customers report difficulty paying off a loan balance or being hit with late fees when the bank was slow to process a payment.
More types of financing available through M&T
In addition to unsecured business loan, M&T Bank also offers the following types of business financing:
- Secured term loans backed by non-real estate assets. These loans start at $10,000 with fixed or variable rates and terms as long as 10 years.
- Business lines of credit for short-term and intermediate-term cashflow needs. Rates are variable and range from the Wall Street Journal Prime rate + 0.75% to Prime + 8% on lines under $950,000.
- Commercial real estate financing for business and investment properties. These start at $50,000 with fixed or variable rates and terms from five to 10 years.
- Equipment financing, including term loans and leases, with loan amounts and terms based on the equipment you’re purchasing.
- SBA 7(a) loans and SBA Express loans, offering government-backed financing for small businesses that struggle to qualify for M&T Bank’s regular commercial lending program.
- Business credit cards for everyday cashflow needs, with the option to customize a card to your business's specific needs.
M&T Bank doesn’t advertise minimum requirements
Like most regional banks, M&T Bank doesn’t disclose its minimum credit score, time in business or annual revenue requirements. But bank loans are notoriously difficult to qualify for, especially if you have a small business with fewer than 10 employees.
Typically, your company needs to be profitable with at least two years in business and you must have a good personal credit score of at least 670. It also helps if you already have an account with M&T.
This also applies to loans backed by the SBA. While SBA loans are designed to help small businesses that can’t qualify for a bank loan, these have historically had a lower approval rate than your standard business loan, according to the Federal Reserve.
Set up an appointment to start the application
The first step to apply for an M&T Bank business loan is setting up an appointment with a commercial loan officer over the phone, video chat or in person. You can schedule an appointment by calling your local branch or filling out a form on the M&T Bank website.
While not necessarily required, it helps to bring financial statements to the appointment. Your banker can use these to assess your eligibility and give you an estimate of what type of financing you might qualify for.
Bank loans can take weeks or months to even months to process if you’re a new customer. SBA 7(a) loans can take even longer. Consider an online loan if you’re looking for a faster turnaround.
Low rates and poor reviews set M&T Bank apart
M&T Bank offers low interest rates compared to other regional banks — even on unsecured business loans. It’s also one of the few banks that discloses the range of interest rates it charges. Most lenders only advertise starting rates, if at all.
But the high volume of customer complaints set it apart from other providers. Most banks get low ratings for customer service, but M&T’s reviews are particularly negative.
Read our guide to small business loans for more information on your financing options.
M&T Bank loan alternatives
These providers offer online applications and can likely approve your loan faster than M&T Bank. Fill out the form to view options your business might be eligible for.
Business loan ratings
We rate business loan providers on a scale of 1 to 5 stars based on factors like transparency, costs and customer experience. We don’t take into account elements like eligibility criteria, state availability or payment frequency — we save that for our reviews.
Read the full methodology of how we rate business loan providers to get a better picture of what goes into each star rating.