Finder may earn compensation from partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

Choose a US visa that’s right for your situation

Which visa you'll need depends on why you're visiting or moving.

Planning ahead can help your visa application process run smoothly. But process, procedures and requirements can change — often without much warning — so you’ll want to confirm the exact documentation required for your circumstances before scheduling your mandatory interview with the US consulate.

Other guides in this series

US visa application process | Prepare for your visa interview

What is a visa?

Visas are legal documents that allow those from another country to enter the US for a stated period of time and specific purpose.

There are over 150 different visas offered under US immigration law. But these visas fall under two main categories: nonimmigrant visas for temporary visits and immigrant visas for people ultimately intending to immigrate indefinitely.

Do I need a visa to visit the US?

It depends. If you’re a tourist or business traveler from one of the countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program, you don’t need a visa. If you’re coming to the US for any other purpose or from any country not on the list, you’ll need a visa.

Choosing a visa that’s right for your situation

To make an informed decision about which visa you should apply for, consider these key elements:

  • The purpose of your visit. You can apply for a visa to work, travel, study or conduct business in the US.
  • Length of stay. Determine if you want a temporary or permanent visa.
  • Sponsorship. Depending on the visa, you may need someone to vouch for your visit, whether a university, job or family member.

Temporary visitor visas — Category B-1 or B-2

Visitor visas are the most common type of visa you’ll come across when visiting the US. These are nonimmigrant visas to enter the country temporarily for business or tourism.

To temporarily work in the US, you’re required to complete either Form I-129 — Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker or Form I-797 — Petition for a Notice of Action. You submit these forms to the US Citizen and Immigrant Services.

Some employers, especially multinational companies, are able to petition for employees to be brought over from countries outside of the US. These petitions are referred to as L-1 blanket petitions. If you’re included in an L-1 blanket petition, you’ll need to also complete Form I-129S.

Be aware that you may be asked to produce evidence of compelling ties to your home country to prove that you have strong motivation to return.

Student visas — F-1 and M-1 Visas

New student visas can be issued up to 120 days before your course study date begins. But you won’t be able to enter the US until 30 days before you’re due to begin your studies. Once you’re in the US, you can renew your visa for continuing studies at any time as long you’ve maintained your student status and have a current SEVIS record.

For a student visa, you’ll need to complete a few forms beyond those required for a standard visitor visa, including a specific Form I-20 — Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status based on your situation. Your school should send you a SEVIS-generated Form I-20 that requires your signature and that of your school official.

Like all visas, extra documentation may be required for approval. This documentation can include school transcripts, diplomas and degrees from schools you attended and standardized test scores required by the school you plan to attend. You may also need to prove your intent to leave the United States once you’ve completed your education and how you will pay for living, travel and education costs.

What is SEVIS?

SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information Service, an online record of F-1 and M-1 students registered to study in the United States. It also includes the names of each Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)–certified schools in the country.

Your school will typically help you enroll your information in SEVIS, which is required before you can be approved for a student visa.

Other types of visas

Media visas — Media (I) Visa

If you’re a member of the media or otherwise eligible to apply for a media visa, you’ll complete all forms typical for a general visitor visa. However, the US consulate officer might ask for documentation to establish qualification for this visa, such as a contract in the United States or some other type of credential given by a professional media organization in your home country

Exchange visitor visas — J-1 Visa

If you’re an au pair, summer worker, intern or exchange student, you may be eligible for an exchange visitor visa.

In addition to the visitor visa forms, you’ll need to complete Form DS-2019 — Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status provided by a sponsor that’s already registered you in the US Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. If you’re married or have children, your spouse or children must be registered separately and receive their own DS-2019.

Those involved in internships or training programs also require a completed Form DS-7002 — Training/Internship Placement Plan.

Transit, medical and other travel visas

Other reasons for traveling to the states that may require a visa include travel for medical treatment, official government travel, religious work, humanitarian situations, ship or aircraft crew status and extended stopovers while traveling. Consider using the US State Department’s Visa Wizard to narrow down the exact visa you require.

Bottom line

Find out what type of visa you’ll need as early as possible to give yourself enough time to gather the forms and paperwork required to apply for your visa. Once you know what visa you need, learn more about how to apply and what the application process will entail.

Frequently asked questions

Who can I contact if I have a problem with my visa or I need help applying?

Your best point of contact will depend on what you need help with. The US Department of State maintains a list of contact numbers for visa applicants sorted by issue type.

How can I work in the US if I have a visa?

You will need to have a visa that specifically grants you permission to work. If your visa doesn’t specify your eligibility to work in the US, you could face deportation if you get a job.

If you need to be able to work while in the country, make sure you apply for a visa that will allow it.

How can my social media accounts affect my ability to get a visa?

As of May 2019, you’ll need to submit information about any social media accounts you’ve used in the past five years in order to apply for a US visa. Failing to disclose social media handle or posting content that could be seen as threatening can affect your ability to qualify for a visa.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site