Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare motorcycle insurance in Texas
Round up insurance options to save on the high premiums here.
Texas has a high average cost for motorcycle insurance on its risky roads. Yet you will find multiple choices of bike insurers, which could help you find the best insurance deal.
Motorcycle insurance providers in Texas
Average motorcycle insurance in Texas
Riding in Texas costs motorcyclists an average $749 per year, well above the national average of $518.
Inflated rates may be attributed to the scores of accidents that happen across both cars and bikes — in 2018, there was one vehicle crash every 58 seconds, according to the Texas Department of Transportation. This increased risk means even more danger for motorcycle riders. In addition, Texas requires a high amount of insurance and may see an influx of claims because of its large number of motorcycle owners.
Minimum motorcycle insurance requirements in Texas
Riding Texas roads requires liability insurance. You can show financial responsibility before facing an accident by:
- Liability coverage. You’re required to have at least 30/60/25 in liability coverage, which is high compared to many states.
- Surety bond. Get a surety bond with at least two people who own property, backing you if you can’t fulfill accident liability out of pocket. File the bond with your county clerk.
- Security deposit. Deposit $55,000 with the county comptroller or judge to prove financial responsibility.
- Self-insurance. Apply for self-insurance with the Texas Department of Transportation.
How to save on motorcycle insurance in Texas
Riding Texas roads doesn’t have to mean paying high premiums. Try these four ways to save:
- Balance location with mileage. Texas has a wide range of premiums based on rural, suburban or highly populated cities. Small towns or suburbs in the state tend to draw the best premiums, but that could come at the cost of a longer commute, which could raise premiums.
- Take a safety course. Since the state ranks high for bike fatalities, a safety course could reassure your insurer enough to offer a discount.
- Go slow and steady. Despite the Texan tendency toward backroads and top speed limits, stay on guard with steady pacing and defensive riding. This could help you avoid claims.
- Opt for liability-only coverage. The state already has high liability standards for bikes, which should cover you for numerous accidents. But consider whether you really need comprehensive, collision or medical payments to round out your coverage.
Riding in Texas could mean a high premium because of its robust insurance requirements and high bike fatalities. But you can consider all your provider options to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
Frequently asked questions about Texas motorcycle insurance
More guides on Finder
Lemonade car insurance review for 2021
Safe drivers and electric car owners could see cheap rates, but its claims process isn’t perfect.
How much does umbrella insurance cost?
Get a low-cost policy for liability expenses that exceed your car or home insurance coverage.
Best umbrella insurance
Receive extra liability coverage with an umbrella policy from these top insurers, though they may require you to have car insurance through them.
Most dangerous roads in the USA
Do you drive on one of the 30 most dangerous interstates, highways and state routes?
Lemonade life insurance review
This fintech just branched out into low-cost life insurance — but its lineup is limited.
Compare free life insurance
No-cost options are available, but these policies may not offer the coverage you need.
Permanent life insurance policyholders can now funnel more money into cash value
A new change to the tax code quietly went into effect on January 1, lowering the minimum interest rate for permanent life insurance policies.
Get a new smile in as little as six months with SmileDirectClub. Learn about treatment, costs and whether it’s covered by health insurance.
Compare full coverage vs. liability car insurance
Which type of car insurance policy fits your car and driving needs?
Whole life vs. variable life insurance
Two permanent life insurance policies that provide lifelong coverage, though variable life is a riskier investment option than whole life.
Ask an Expert