Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Compare motorcycle insurance in North Carolina
Stick to the state’s high minimums or pick a policy with extras included.
Despite North Carolina’s high state requirements for motorcycle insurance compared to other states, its average cost sticks close to the nation’s standard. Your best bet for quality, low-cost coverage is to search for companies that offer free perks and discounts, making your protection worth every dollar.
Compare North Carolina motorcycle insurance providers.
Average motorcycle insurance in North Carolina
In North Carolina, the average motorcycle premium is right around $46 a month or $551 a year. That cost lands $31 above the US national average of $520 per year.
Insurers may offer lower premiums in North Carolina because riders cruise with less danger through the state’s many small towns. For example, you might see a mile-high premium if you live in Charlotte, but a lower premium in Leland or Monroe.
Minimum motorcycle insurance requirements in North Carolina
North Carolina beefs motorcycle protection with its requirements — $30,000 for bodily injuries per person, $60,000 for bodily injuries per accident and $25,000 for property damage. However, motorcycles don’t need underinsured and uninsured motorist protection like cars do.
Cheapest motorcycle insurance in North Carolina
- Erie comes with many free perks that are similar to Progressive, such as $3,000 in safety gear coverage. This regional provider also receives high praise from customers and offers unique benefits like locking in your premium if you qualify.
- Geico could serve as your cheap go-to in North Carolina since it’s known for its low bike insurance premiums. While the company offers the necessities to get you on the road, Geico doesn’t include many extras, which means you end up with a low-fuss policy.
- Progressive stands out as a low-cost company with its basic policies starting as low as $75 per year. You get a variety of add-ons as well as free protection included with collision and comprehensive coverage. However, you’ll pay more when adding extra coverage to your cart.
If you’d like to see how more local businesses stack up in the North Carolina market, consider these companies:
- Affordable Insurance Service of NC
- Protective Agency Insurance
- Superior Insurance
- Trapp Insurance
Assuming you live outside one of North Carolina’s major cities, you can expect a reasonable premium for bike insurance that’s in line with other states. You also get your choice of national and local motorcycle insurance companies, so you can find the best protection for you and your bike.
Frequently asked questions about North Carolina motorcycle insurance
Ask an Expert