Compare motorcycle insurance in North Carolina
Stick to the state’s high minimums or pick a policy with extras included.
Despite North Carolina’s high state requirements for motorcycle insurance compared to other states, its average cost sticks close to the nation’s standard. Your best bet for quality, low-cost coverage is to search for companies that offer free perks and discounts, making your protection worth every dollar.
Compare North Carolina motorcycle insurance providers.
Average motorcycle insurance in North Carolina
In North Carolina, the average motorcycle premium is right around $46 a month or $551 a year. That cost lands $31 above the US national average of $520 per year.
Insurers may offer lower premiums in North Carolina because riders cruise with less danger through the state’s many small towns. For example, you might see a mile-high premium if you live in Charlotte, but a lower premium in Leland or Monroe.
Minimum motorcycle insurance requirements in North Carolina
North Carolina beefs motorcycle protection with its requirements — $30,000 for bodily injuries per person, $60,000 for bodily injuries per accident and $25,000 for property damage. However, motorcycles don’t need underinsured and uninsured motorist protection like cars do.
Cheapest motorcycle insurance in North Carolina
- Erie comes with many free perks that are similar to Progressive, such as $3,000 in safety gear coverage. This regional provider also receives high praise from customers and offers unique benefits like locking in your premium if you qualify.
- Geico could serve as your cheap go-to in North Carolina since it’s known for its low bike insurance premiums. While the company offers the necessities to get you on the road, Geico doesn’t include many extras, which means you end up with a low-fuss policy.
- Progressive stands out as a low-cost company with its basic policies starting as low as $75 per year. You get a variety of add-ons as well as free protection included with collision and comprehensive coverage. However, you’ll pay more when adding extra coverage to your cart.
If you’d like to see how more local businesses stack up in the North Carolina market, consider these companies:
- Affordable Insurance Service of NC
- Protective Agency Insurance
- Superior Insurance
- Trapp Insurance
Assuming you live outside one of North Carolina’s major cities, you can expect a reasonable premium for bike insurance that’s in line with other states. You also get your choice of national and local motorcycle insurance companies, so you can find the best protection for you and your bike.
Frequently asked questions about North Carolina motorcycle insurance
More guides on Finder
Lemonade life insurance review
This fintech just branched out into low-cost life insurance — but its lineup is limited.
Compare life insurance wellness programs
Get an incentive to meet your existing health and fitness goals with a discounted premium.
Compare living benefits riders for life insurance
Use your death benefits to help pay for medical expenses while you’re still alive.
Compare free life insurance
No-cost options are available, but these policies may not offer the coverage you need.
Compare decreasing term life insurance
Save money by targeting your coverage to your largest debts.
Workers’ compensation vs. life insurance
These coverage options serve different functions but have one benefit in common.
How much does health insurance cost?
Most working Americans pay around $1,489 in premiums each year. Compare costs now.
How to get life insurance as a freelancer
As a freelancer you may have unpredictable cashflow, but you can still find income protection with term life insurance.
Driving without car insurance
Since driving uninsured comes with steep penalties, look at your coverage options or consider alternatives.
Does home or renters insurance cover eviction?
Learn what your policy covers and how eviction affects your insurance.
Ask an Expert