Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare motorcycle insurance in California
Picking the right insurer could be your best bet for this high-cost state.
California may have excellent weather and scenery, but you’ll pay handsomely to ride in the Golden State. Yet you could find wide coverage with top-rated providers or the best value with insurance locals.
Compare California motorcycle insurance
Average motorcycle insurance in California
The average cost of a California bike policy is $665 per year, well over the usual $300 to $500 range you’d expect.
California sits high on the list of fatality rates by state, and this number continues to rise. California’s crowded cities leave bikers exposed to more risk of an accident — and could be an explanation for the influx of bike deaths.
Minimum motorcycle insurance requirements in California
This State keeps insurance simple with similar laws to its auto requirements. To meet requirements, you’ll need:
- $15,000 for bodily injuries per person
- $30,000 for bodily injuries per accident
- $5,000 for property damage per accident
California motorcyclists are not required to have uninsured/underinsured bike coverage and allows you to opt-out of this option.
How to save on bike insurance in California
Because California has higher-than-average insurance costs, be on the lookout on ways to save. Here are four ways to save:
- Shop local. Local insurers like Wawanesa and the Auto Club of Southern California Insurance Group might offer you lower premiums and stellar service compared to big-name insurers.
- Avoid major cities. The state can’t help its popularity, but riding outside of highly-populated cities could keep you from filing expensive accident claims.
- Keep continuous coverage. California vehicle owners have a tendency to go sans insurance with an above average uninsured driver rate of 15%. Keeping a continuous policy avoids a steep premium for reinstatement after canceling.
- Ride safely. Taking a motorcycle safety course and avoiding bike claims can land you a discount in this state overrun with bike fatalities.
Because of California’s major cities, high number of bike fatalities and above-average uninsured driver rate, you can expect a higher premium for bike policies. However, getting quotes from several California providers could save you on coverage.
Frequently Asked questions about California motorcycle insurance
More guides on Finder
Get a new smile in as little as six months with SmileDirectClub. Learn about treatment, costs and whether it’s covered by health insurance.
How much does pet insurance cost for cats?
Discover insurance costs for your cat’s specific breed, based on the 40 breeds we analyzed.
Heacock Classic car insurance review January 2021
Insure your classic car or race car at agreed value with Heacock Classic, but you’ll have to look elsewhere if you have recent claims or major violations.
Driving without car insurance
Since driving uninsured comes with steep penalties, look at your coverage options or consider alternatives.
Say car insurance review Jan 2021
Offers a transparent look at your premiums and rewards renewal with a better insurance score.
Compare bus conversion insurance
Find and qualify for the right type of policy when living in a skoolie.
How much does pet insurance cost for different dog breeds?
Track down your dog’s insurance cost and learn which characteristics play into your pup’s health risks.
Acceptance car insurance review Jan 2021
Consider Acceptance if you’re a high-risk driver, but prepare for the possibility of a negative customer service experience.
Accidental death statistics
Find out the top causes of accidental deaths and which states are the deadliest.
Lemonade pet insurance review
How does this insurer’s first foray into low-cost pet insurance compare to policies elsewhere?
Ask an Expert