Golden 1 Credit Union mortgage review
Explore loan options with down payments as low as 3%.
Golden 1 Credit Union offers FHA, conforming and jumbo loans for Californians. Borrowers in other states, or those looking for other government-backed loans should look elsewhere.
|Loan types||Conventional, Refinance, Jumbo, Home Equity, FHA|
|Available States||Only available in: CA|
- Low down payment options
- Multiple jumbo loan property types
- Fast closing
- Not available in all states
- Scarce branch locations
- Limited loan options
What types of loans does Golden 1 Credit Union offer?
Golden 1 Credit Union offers a limited suite of loans, and only one for low-income buyers.
- Conventional. Conforming fixed- and adjustable-rate mortgages with a down payment as low as 3% and rates as low as 3.375%.
- Jumbo. Owner-occupied or second-home purchases with loan amounts up to $2 million.
- FHA. Down payments as low as 3.5% with flexible underwriting guidelines.
Other loans offered by Golden 1 Credit Union
- Refinance. Conventional refinance loan options that may lower your monthly payments or shorten your loan term.
- Home equity loans. Fixed-rate equity loans up to $500,000 have fixed interest rates and fixed monthly payments.
- HELOC. A home equity line of credit lets you tap into the value of your home. Or combine home loans to create an 80-10-10 piggyback loan (80% home loan, 10% down payment, 10% HELOC).
Golden 1 Credit Union fees
Golden 1 Credit Union doesn’t publish its fees online, but you could expect to pay fees for:
- Fees to third parties like flood specialists and title companies
Golden 1 Home Loans Buyer Advantage Program
Buyers or sellers that use a realtor in the Golden Homes network can get up to 25% of commissions towards closing costs.
Golden 1 Credit Union doesn’t offer any information about its underwriting guidelines. However, for most loans, you’ll need a maximum debt-to-income ratio of 43% and a at least a 3% down payment.
Golden 1 Credit Union doesn’t clearly state on its site what documents it requires to apply, but could request:
- W-2 forms
- Recent tax returns
- List of assets, such as retirement accounts
- Recent pay stubs
- Bank statements
- List of debts, such as auto loans
- Government-issued ID
How to get a home loan with Golden 1 Credit Union
The get a home loan with Golden 1 Credit you can apply online, and save your application at any point.
- Go to Golden 1 Home Loan’s website and indicate if you’re looking to purchase or refinance. Click Get Started.
- On the home loan application page, you’re asked again if you want to purchase a home or refinance a home.
- Fill in your name and click Next.
- Click whether you’re applying for joint credit with a coborrower.
- Choose if you’ll be living in the property you’re purchasing. Click Next.
- Provide the estimated loan amount.
- Give details about the property location, for example, city, county, state and ZIP code.
- Select the property type – for example, single-family residence, single-family residence with a homeowners association, condominium, townhouse, two or more units.
- Input the number of units in the building and click Next.
- Choose whether you currently own or rent.
- Detail how much you have for a down payment and where the money is coming from.
- Fill out your current address and date of birth.
- Input your Social Security number and follow the prompts to submit your application.
Pros and cons of Golden 1 Credit Union
- Low down payment options. Both jumbo and conventional loans have down payment options as low as 3%.
- Multiple jumbo loan property types. Jumbo loans can be your primary residence or a second home.
- Fast closing. Customers report Golden 1 Credit Union closed on time or earlier.
- Not available in all states. Membership is required for a home loan, and only available for California residents.
- Scarce branch locations. Its only two branch locations and service home loans are in the Bay Area.
- Limited loan options. It only offers 30-year conventional, jumbo and FHA loans.
What is Golden 1 Credit Union?
Golden 1 Credit Union was founded in 1933 in Sacramento, California. It is a financial cooperative of a million members with assets totaling $13 billion. It offers bank accounts, auto and personal loans, on top of its mortgages.
Frequently asked questions
Kimberly Ellis is a writer at Finder. She hails from New York City with a BA from Queens College and a New York State teaching certificate. After teaching in both public and private schools, Kimberly decided to take the world by storm and dive into the media industry — where she covers everything from home loans and investing to K–12 education and shopping. She’s also an aspiring polyglot, always in a book and forever on the hunt for the perfect classic red lipstick.
With low down payments and high loan limits, Golden 1 Credit Union is a good option for conventional, FHA or jumbo loans for Californians. Unfortunately, many customers report billing issues. And while you can handle your mortgages online, home loan location are limited to the Bay Area. You may want to look elsewhere if you prefer in-person support.