Montgomery Ward Credit review
A simple line of credit without enough to offer for this online-only department store.
- Get this card if you frequently shop on Montgomery Ward’s website.
- Pick something else if you want a universal credit card.
- Apply with a poor to fair credit score of 300 or higher.
5.75% to 25.99%
Purchase APR (fixed)
Recommended credit score
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Montgomery Ward Credit card is an incredibly simple credit line for this online-only store and comes with a $0 annual fee and fixed purchase APR of 5.75% to 25.99% depending on your creditworthiness.
For what is essentially a store card, the Montgomery Ward Credit is extremely bare. Unlike other store cards on the market, the Montgomery Ward card offers no perks to incentivize you to shop at Montgomery Ward, such as rewards or free shipping. What you see is what you get: the ability to pay for a Montgomery Ward purchase and pay it off later. In fact, this card isn’t even associated with a major bank: the line of credit offered is through Montgomery Ward itself.
Approval for the card is easy, as you can apply at the time of checkout and get results nearly immediately. This, coupled with the low credit requirements and lack of annual fees, makes the card most appealing for someone looking to build their credit. Unfortunately, whether the card properly reports your purchases to the major credit bureaus seems unclear. While the site advertises credit reporting, the fine print notes that Montgomery Ward “may” report your usage, and customer reviews seem to suggest inconsistency in whether this card actually helps build your score.
As such, it’s hard to recommend the Montgomery Ward credit card. There are other cards on the market that can help you build credit or earn rewards that you can also use on all purchases, not just at a single store.
How to apply for the Montgomery Ward Credit
- Click Apply now.
- Shop through the Montgomery Ward site.
- Once you have the items you want, click Checkout.
- Enter your billing and shipping address and click Continue.
- Under Select payment method click Open & pay with new Ward credit account.
- Enter the required information and click Continue.
How long will it take to get my Montgomery Ward Credit?
Generally, approval only takes a few seconds. Once approved, expect your card to arrive within seven to 10 business days.
Can I be declined for the card?
Yes, you may not be approved if:
- You haven’t paid your previous Montgomery Ward Credit account.
- There’s a fraud alert or other restriction on your credit report.
- You have no established credit history.
You may need to make a down payment if:
- You have a bankruptcy or other blemish to your credit.
- You have limited credit history.
- Your checkout balance is too high.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the card, you only need to provide:
- Your name and birthday
- Billing and shipping address
- Social Security number
What credit score do I need?
You can apply with a poor to fair credit score of 300 or higher.
Montgomery Ward Credit benefits
- Easy approval. You’ll be approved quickly, even if you have poor credit.
- Credit limit increases. If you make on-time monthly payments, your $100 credit limit could increase.
- Pay your bill online. Easily manage your payments by logging in to your Montgomery Ward online account.
- Potentially low APR. You could qualify for APRs as low as 5.75% with excellent credit.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay each year to keep this card.
Montgomery Ward Credit drawbacks
- Only use at Montgomery Ward. This isn’t a regular credit card and you’re limited to using it only on Montgomery Ward’s site.
- No rewards. Many other credit cards offer rewards such as cash back, points or miles.
- Penalty fees and interest charges vary. How much you’ll pay depends on the state you live in.
- Unclear credit building capabilities. This card claims to report credit usage to major credit bureaus, but doesn’t guarantee this feature, noting that it “may” report use in the terms and conditions.
Compare store credit cards
If you’re curious what other store cards on the market look like, you can select and compare up to four store credit cards using our comparison table.
Montgomery Ward Credit reviews and complaints
Customers like how easy it is to get the card and are happy with Montgomery Ward’s customer service. Complaints are often about the one-sided reporting to credit bureaus. Paying your balance on time may not help you build your score, but missing a payment or a default can stain your credit score according to some customer reviews.
Whether you’re looking to build your credit score or you are interested in picking up a store credit card, we recommend you look at your other options first. The Montgomery Ward Credit Card doesn’t offer enough benefits to take up a space in your wallet. But if you often shop the Montgomery Ward website and struggle to get credit elsewhere, you might find the Montgomery Ward Credit helpful. If you apply for one, we recommend regularly checking your credit score to ensure the card is helping you build credit.