|Product types||Bars, Coins, Unallocated Bullion, Collectables, Notes|
|Available metals||Gold, Silver, Platinum, Palladium, Rhodium, Copper|
|Standard storage fees||N/A|
|Standard delivery fee||FREE for orders over $99|
Money Metals Exchange review
Buyers benefit from direct storage options and premade portfolios for beginner investors.
Money Metals Exchange offers live pricing and direct storage options for a variety of precious metals. But shipping delays have been reported and payment method restrictions may impact your checkout process.
- Consider Money Metals if you’re a beginner bullion buyer seeking premade portfolios.
- Look elsewhere if you want to purchase numismatic coins.
What's in this guide?
- What does Money Metals Exchange sell?
- How does buying from Money Metals Exchange work?
- How does selling to Money Metals Exchange work?
- How do Money Metals Exchange’s prices compare to competitors?
- Is Money Metals Exchange safe?
- Money Metals Exchange reviews and complaints
- Pros and cons
- How do I contact Money Metals Exchange support?
- Compare other providers for access to gold and other metals
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
What does Money Metals Exchange sell?
Money Metals Exchange has a respectable lineup of precious metals on offer:
- Gold. American Eagles, Canadian Maples, European Gold Bullion, rounds, fractionals, coins and bars in various weights.
- Silver. Coins, rounds, fractionals, bullets and bars in various weights.
- Platinum. American, Canadian and Australian coins with bars in various weights.
- Copper. Morgan Heads, Peace Rounds, Buffalo Rounds and more with 1-ounce copper bars.
- Palladium. Palladium Eagles and Maples are available alongside bars in various weights.
- Rhodium. Both 1- and 5-ounce bars are available.
How does buying from Money Metals Exchange work?
Money Metals product categories are arranged in tabs at the top of its homepage. Click the product you want, enter the quantity and add it to your cart. From there, you can continue shopping or continue to the checkout page.
Once you initiate the checkout process, Money Metals locks in the price for 10 minutes. A timer in the top right corner of your screen lets you know how long until your pricing expires. To complete the checkout process, enter your full name, shipping address and payment details.
Money Metals sends a confirmation email once you complete the checkout process.
Does Money Metals Exchange accept returns?
Yes, Money Metals Exchange accepts returns initiated within three days of delivery. To initiate a return or exchange, call customer service at 800-800-1865.
Return the product in its original packaging and pay for shipping. Payments made with PayPal or credit card will cost a 5% stocking fee. In addition to shipping costs, you’re also responsible for market losses. This means that if the price of your items is down from what you initially paid, Money Metals Exchange will refund you at the lower value.
What payment methods can I use?
The payment you choose depends on the amount you spend and how quickly you want your metals. And payments made with credit card and PayPal charge a 4% processing fee.
|ACH transfer||$0||$575||7–10 calendar days|
|Cryptocurrency||$0||$200,000||1–2 calendar days|
|Credit or debit card||$0||$575||1–2 calendar days|
|Money order||$0||$25,000||7–10 calendar days|
|PayPal||$0||$575||1–2 calendar days|
|Personal check||$0||$25,000||7–10 calendar days|
|Wire transfer||$3,000||$50,000||1–2 business days|
Money Metals Exchange states on its website that orders are typically shipped within 48 hours of payment clearance and take two to four business days to arrive.
Shipping costs vary by order value. Orders are fully insured and require a signature upon receipt.
|Order value||Shipping cost|
|Up to $149.99||$6.97|
How does selling to Money Metals Exchange work?
Sell gold, silver, platinum and palladium to Money Metals Exchange by following these steps:
- Call 800-800-1865 during business hours to receive a buyback price for your order from a Money Metals Exchange rep.
- If you’re happy with the price you’re quoted, confirm the order to lock in the price.
- Follow the shipping instructions and open the purchase order in your email.
- Ship your order to Money Metals Exchange.
- Once Money Metals Exchange receives and inspects your shipment, it releases your payment.
Before you contact Money Metals Exchange, make sure your metals adhere to the company’s buyback guidelines:
- Rounds and bars must be clearly marked with weight and purity.
- Bars must be labeled with manufacturer’s name or insignia.
- Metals must be clean, uniform and have a marketable design.
- Pre-1965 dimes, quarters and half-dollars must be clearly minted.
If you’re not sure whether your precious metals qualify for Money Metals Exchange’s buyback program, contact a rep by live chat, phone or email.
How do Money Metals Exchange’s prices compare to competitors?
Money Metals Exchange’s prices are slightly more expensive than some of its fellow bullion sellers — but if you’re planning to sell, it offers better buyback prices than its competitors.
When we checked on May 28, 2020, Money Metals Exchange advertised one-ounce uncirculated random year American Gold Eagle coins for $1,867.70 — which was more than the advertised prices from Golden Eagle Coins and JM Bullion — but only by $4 and $25, respectively.
Money Metals Exchange credit card and PayPal purchases are subject to a processing fee of 4%.
While Money Metals Exchange’s buy prices are slightly above average, it offers more than its competitors when purchasing precious metals from its customers.
On May 28, 2020, Money Metals Exchange advertised purchase prices on a one-ounce uncirculated American Gold Eagle coin at $1,776.70 — slightly more than JM Bullion’s buy-back price of $1,752.21 and Golden Eagle Coins’ price of $1,750.75.
Is Money Metals Exchange safe?
Yes. Money Metals Exchange was founded in 2010 and is headquartered in Eagle, Idaho. It’s an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and earns an A+ rating based on the BBB’s internal criteria that include years in business and customer complaint responsiveness. There are no registered complaints about JM Bullion in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s database.
How does Money Metals Exchange keep my money safe?
All Money Metals Exchange orders are insured for their full value and come with tracking information. The site uses SSL-encryption certified by DigiCert to protect sensitive data during the checkout process.
Money Metals Exchange reviews and complaints
There isn’t a ton of feedback about Money Metals Exchange — but what’s available is quite positive. As of October 2020, the BBB awards the company an A rating and it earns a 4.7- out of 5-star reputation based on the feedback of 78 customers. While the company doesn’t have a Trustpilot page, it averages 4.7 out of 5 from 56 Facebook reviews.
Customers speak highly of the company’s courteous, professional support reps but complain of intermittent shipping delays.
Pros and cons
- Live pricing. Money Metals Exchange prices are updated in real time.
- Storage options. Customers can have orders shipped directly to a depository account.
- Premade portfolios. For beginner bullion investors, Money Metals Exchange offers prepackaged gold, silver and multigram portfolios.
- News and resources. Access live and historical precious metal prices and set customized price alerts from its website.
- Transaction fees. If you pay for your order by credit card or PayPal, you’ll pay an additional 4% fee.
- Payment method restrictions. Minimums and maximums on payment methods may restrict your payment options.
- Limited support. Money Metals Exchange reps are only available on weekdays.
Storing your bullion with Money Metals Exchange
Money Metals Exchange offers depository services for customers seeking a place to store their precious metals outside their home. Open an account by phone and have your order shipped directly to the Money Metals’ depository building.
The building uses UL Class 3 vaults and depository accounts are fully insured by Money Metals Exchange’s Lloyds of London insurance policy.
Annual storage fees are billed quarterly and depend on the value of your holding. For holding values in excess of $3 million, contact Money Metals Exchange directly.
|Holding value||Annual fee|
|Up to $15,999||$96|
|$1 million–$2.9 million||0.39%|
How do I contact Money Metals Exchange support?
Get in touch with the Money Metals Exchange support team by:
- Phone. Call 800-800-1865 weekdays from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. MT.
- Email. Fill out an online form with your email address and query for a reply by email.
- Live chat. Speak to a Money Metals Exchange rep on its website weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. MT.
Compare other providers for access to gold and other metals
Money Metals Exchange sells a variety of precious metals and offers direct storage options alongside premade portfolios for new buyers. But payment method restrictions and transaction fees may impact your checkout process and customer support isn’t available on weekends.
If you’re looking to diversify your portfolio, explore your investment options to build your portfolio with precious metals, commodities and securities.