Millennials’ bucket lists features their grandparents, road trips and The Ritz
Pursuing intrepid adventures and local experiences.
Young travelers are keen to explore the world with older relatives, travel off the beaten path, learn a language, and chance a glimpse of the electric skies of the northern lights, according to the latest survey data.
A new research report, conducted by Hotels.com, found millennials’ travel bucket lists are steering away from the traditional travel landmarks, instead opting for more adventurous and exploratory sights.
The survey data is based on a September 2017 poll of 6,788 millennial respondents across 28 countries.
Two fifths of those surveyed said they wanted to complete their bucket list with a parent or grandparent (40%), significantly more than those keen to travel alongside siblings (28%), solo (25%) or with celebrities (11%).
One fifth (18%) of travelers under 30 take inspiration from the adventures of their grandparents and parents.
If given a free night of travel, millennials would prefer to visit New York (34%), Tokyo (24%), Las Vegas (23%), Paris (21%) or London (18%). However, discovering new experiences is more popular than ever.
The top 5 off-the-beaten path bucket list experiences around the world
- Amazing natural light show of the northern or southern lights (35%)
- Take a road trip through off-the-beaten-path towns (35%)
- Learn a language or skill abroad (33%)
- Try local street food on holiday (33%)
- Work or study abroad for a year (31%)
The survey also found travelers want to try unusual adventures, such as meeting Santa Claus in Lapland (14%), learning parkour (12%), watching a drag show (10%) or creating their own graffiti street art (11%).
Millennials leading bucket list stays are also luxurious and extravagant. Among them are overnight stays in castles (31%) and palaces (23%), nights in Dubai (24%), and visits to Las Vegas (23%) and Beverly Hills (22%).
Hotel Ritz Paris topped travelers bucket list for places to stay. The Paris hotel, popular with novelist Ernest Hemingway, recently re-opened in June 2016 after undergoing a four-year, multimillion-dollar renovation.
The top 10 bucket list places to stay
The Ritz, Paris (34%)
A castle (31%)
The Plaza, New York (29%)
An underwater hotel (26%)
Burj Al Arab Jumeriah, Dubai (24%)
The Savoy, London (24%)
Bellagio, Las Vegas (23%)
A palace (23%)
The Beverley Hills Hotel, Beverley Hills (22%)
A treehouse hotel (22%)
- Litecoin weekly price analysis 17 August: LTC slumps, rebounds and tests resistance
- Zcash readies for Sapling hard fork, releases software upgrade
- Nvidia’s quarterly sales results hint at a downturn in crypto mining efforts
- Energi Token (ETK) cryptocurrency as a reward for saving the world
- Oustanding bitcoin shorts on Bitfinex have doubled in August