Mile Auto car insurance review
Find basic coverage and savings with this pay-per-mile policy.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re a low-mileage driver in Illinois or Oregon
- Pick something else if you’re outside its service area
- Low-mileage drivers get the best savings
New car protection
|States served||Illinois, Oregon|
|New car protection||No|
- Savings for low-mileage driving
- No tracking devices needed
- Your choice of repair shops
- Illinois and Oregon only
- Basic coverage options
- No discounts
- No online account
- Lack of website info
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Mile Auto is an up-and-coming service meant to help low-mileage drivers in Illinois and Oregon save money. You could save hundreds of dollars a year if you don’t drive much, and you won’t even need a telematics device installed in your car. Because rates are so low, coverage is fairly standard, without many bonuses.
However, it currently lacks some features its competitors offer, such as online account management. It’s more hands-on too, since you have to submit a picture of your odometer every month. If those are both turnoffs, consider other mileage-based insurers, especially if you’re looking for a streamlined digital experience.
What car insurance coverage does Mile Auto offer?
Mile Auto offers the basic protection you need when you choose to drive:
- Property damage liability. Meet or go above state requirements to pay for vehicle damage after an at-fault accident.
- Bodily injury liability. Help other drivers and passengers get the medical attention they need without worrying about costs.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Take care of vehicle damage and bodily injuries in situations where the at-fault driver is unable to pay.
- Personal injury protection (PIP). Make sure your medical bills get paid, no matter who’s at fault.
- Collision. Protect your car if it gets damaged during an accident.
- Comprehensive. Cover non-collision incidents, such as theft or storm damage.
- Roadside assistance. Opt for coverage to take care of minor roadside needs like fuel delivery or a battery jumpstart.
- Rental reimbursement. Get the convenience of a rental car while your own is getting accident-related repairs.
What discounts can I get with Mile Auto?
Because Mile Auto is a pay-per-mile company, there are no discounts on top of its rates. However, the company claims to save its customers 30% to 40% off their premium, rewarding their low annual mileage.
Pros and cons of Mile Auto car insurance
- Savings for low-mileage driving. According to the company, its policy makes sense for you if you average 10,000 miles or less per year.
- No tracking devices needed. You don’t have to worry about installing a black box.
- Your choice of repair shops. Go anywhere you choose for accident repairs.
- Few service areas. Mile Auto only services Illinois and Oregon but will expand to other areas soon.
- Basic coverage options. The company keeps options simple, possibly because their customers drive less often.
- No discounts. Special groups and safe drivers don’t get the discounts they would with standard insurance.
- Lack of website info. Mile Auto lacks detail about its coverage or claims process online.
- No online account management. The company provides nothing in convenient tech options, like an online account or mobile app.
Alternatives to Mile Auto
How to apply for Mile Auto car insurance
Jumpstart the process for a Mile Auto policy through an independent agent. You’ll need to call the company to connect with an agent near you at 888-645-3001.
What info do I need to apply?
Help the application process go smoothly with several key pieces of information:
- Home address and phone number
- Driver’s license
- Vehicle make, model and license plate or VIN
- Driving record
- Coverage needs and policy start date
- Payment information
How to make a claim with Mile Auto
Let Mile Auto know you need to file an accident claim by calling the company at 888-645-3001.
Frequently asked questions about Mile Auto car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you. We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.