MetLife home insurance review
Wrap home and auto in a discounted package with only one deductible.
- Get a quote if
- Pick something else if you need top-rated customer service.
- Many homeowners can apply, including those with high-value homes.
All 50 states
- Customized policies
- Single deductible for home and auto
- 24/7 claims
- Low customer satisfaction
- You’ll pay out of pocket first for replacement cost
- No online policy changes
- Some misleading advertising
- Needs more information on its website
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
MetLife benefits customers who bundle their home and auto policies the most because it reduces the premium and only requires one deductible for both policies.
On the downside, the insurer scores low ratings for customer service, and there are caveats to some of its most important coverage — like home replacement cost.
This fine print may affect your decision. If so, it’s worth exploring your options by comparing home insurance providers.
What home insurance coverage does MetLife offer?
MetLife may offer more coverage, but its website has a bare list available. Basic coverage noted includes:
- Personal contents.
- Free identity protection and expenses.
- GrandProtect for high-value homes with higher limits, a blanket property limit and worldwide liability.
- Landlord coverage plus lost income, identity protection, $1,000 of medical payments and personal belongings coverage, even if used by tenants.
- Condo coverage including replacement cost, loss assessment for shared spaces, worldwide personal belongings coverage, identity protection and water backup.
What home insurance discounts can I get with MetLife?
You can score a few discounts with this insurer, including:
- Bundle home and auto with a shared deductible.
- Employee or association discount if your group or employer has a partnership with MetLife.
- Safety features discount toward your home’s automatic sprinklers, central theft alarms, deadbolt locks, fire alarms, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.
Pros and cons of MetLife home insurance
- Customize policies. MetLife can adjust your coverage and limits to fit your needs, with policies designed for standard homes, high-end homes, landlords and condos.
- Single deductible for home and auto. You get the extra benefit of one deductible for home and auto when you bundle these policies.
- Round-the-clock claims. Use the app or 24/7 phone number to file a claim at your convenience.
- Low customer satisfaction. Customers give poor ratings for MetLife on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot for billing issues and slow claims responses.
- You’ll pay out of pocket first for replacement cost. MetLife covers you at actual cash value — first you pay to replace your covered item, then MetLife reimburses you.
- No online policy changes. You can view your policy information online but can’t make updates yourself.
- Few coverage details online. Home insurance coverage details online are lacking. Talk to an agent to find out if there are other coverage options.
How to apply for MetLife home insurance
This insurer personalizes its quoting process over the phone. You can call 844-577-4579 for a quote, or go online first and fill out a quote form to speed up the process.
- From the home insurance page, click Request a quote.
- Fill in basic personal information, read the disclosure about marketing calls and click Submit.
- A representative will contact you by phone or email.
- Answer additional questions about your home, safety features and coverage needs.
- Choose your limits and deductibles.
- Receive your quote, give payment information and finalize your policy.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with MetLife?
Breeze through your application with these details about you and your home:
- Phone number
- Preferred time of contact
- Basic home details, like square footage or year built
- Home safety features
- Coverage needs
- Bank account or credit card information