MetLife car insurance review
Get complete protection with extra perks from a reliable, well-rounded insurer.
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want robust coverage and great online experience.
- Pick something else if you want the best customer support and the lowest rates.
- Safe drivers will find the best discounts.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Great website
- Lots of discounts
- MetLife CARE program
- Roadside assistance reimbursement
- Low customer satisfaction rating
- Online applications not available everywhere
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for finder.com, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on car, life, home and other insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a Bachelor of Arts in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade on topics ranging from technology and pets to finance and insurance.
MetLife offers an array of policies and coverage options, plus a few nice perks like no-deductible glass coverage and a quick online claims portal. It’s also transparent about potential discounts that could help you save.
But if you’re looking for top-tier customer service, you might find your best fit with another provider. While MetLife isn’t at the bottom of the barrel, it does score below average for customer satisfaction, even compared to similar insurers. Safe drivers might be the only ones saving much with MetLife, so consider skipping this one if you have a few claims or crashes on your record.
What car insurance coverage does MetLife offer?
- Liability protection. Pays for instances where you’re at fault in an accident that results in property damage or bodily harm.
- Collision coverage. Covers damage caused to your car if you hit another car or object.
- Comprehensive coverage. Offers protection beyond what’s available through collision coverage, including damage from fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization or even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed, no matter who is at fault in the accident.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for costs of damage or injury from a hit-and-run accident or an incident where the other driver is uninsured. This covers you and your passengers for medical expenses, lost wages and other injury-related losses.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. This covers the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
What extra benefits and add-ons does MetLife offer?
Besides MetLife’s standard insurance coverage, it also offers a number of special programs and features.
- Rental car coverage. Get coverage in the event that you get in an accident while driving a rental vehicle.
- New car replacement. If your new vehicle is totaled due to an accident within one year or 15,000 miles, MetLife will repair or replace it with a new car without any reductions for depreciation.
- Special parts replacement. MetLife will cover replacement costs of listed major parts, like tires, brakes and batteries, regardless of their value at the time of the accident.
- Deductible-free glass repairs. MetLife will repair or replace chipped or cracked windshields and waive the deductible.
- Roadside assistance coverage. This program reimburses costs of towing and other roadside-assistance expenses if your car breaks down while traveling,
- Legal defense costs. If you’re sued, MetLife will cover your legal fees and even lost wages if you have to attend a hearing or trial.
- Lease/loan gap coverage. If your vehicle is written off due to an accident, the lease or loan will be paid off, even if the amount exceeds the value of your vehicle.
- Identity protection services. Available in some states, MetLife offers an identity theft protection program.
- Mobile app. MetLife offers a convenient mobile app that allows customers to manage their policy, view ID cards and more.
- MetRewards. Get rewarded with better rates when drivers on your policy maintain clean driving records.
- MyDirect. An online claims portal that allows customers to easily file claims.
- MetLife CARE program. Customers have access to MetLife’s network of car repair facilities across the country. Repairs from these service providers are guaranteed for as long as you own the vehicle.
What discounts can I get with MetLife?
Unlike some of the other providers of its size, MetLife offers a number of auto insurance discounts that help keep prices competitive. From multi-vehicle to defensive driver discounts, here are some of the ways you can save with MetLife.
- Deductible savings benefit. Earn $50 towards your deductible for every year that you don’t make a claim, up to $250.
- Defensive driver discount. Receive a discount of up to 7% for completing a qualifying driver training course.
- Superior driver discount. Get up to 12% off if all of the drivers in your household have outstanding driving records.
- MetBenefits. Get up to 20% off if you are claim and violation-free for five years.
- Bundle and save. Save up to 10% when you have multiple policies with MetLife.
- Good student discount. Earn up to 15% off if you’re a student under 25 with a “B” average or better.
- Mature driver discounts. If you’re between 50 and 65 you may get discounted rates.
- Restricted mileage discount. Get a discount if you drive fewer than 7,500 miles per year.
- Anti-lock brake discount. Get discounted rates on vehicles equipped with computerized antilock braking systems.
- Safety discount. Receive a discount if your vehicle has safety features like airbags and automatic seat belts.
- Anti-theft system discounts. Receive better rates on vehicles with security devices like ignition and fuel cutoff systems, alarms and hood- and wheel-locking devices.
Availability of each discount may vary, so we recommend speaking with a MetLife agent to find out how you can save on your auto insurance policy.
Pros and cons of MetLife car insurance
- Great website. MetLife’s website does a great job of laying out all important information, making it easy to learn about auto insurance and compare your options.
- Lots of discounts. MetLife offers discounts for good drivers, defensive driving classes, bundling your insurance policies and deductible savings benefits for every year you drive claim-free.
- Roadside assistance reimbursement. You can be reimbursed for towing or other roadside assistance through certain MetLife plans.
- Low customer satisfaction rating. Customer reviews and complaints across various websites put Metlife are below average for an insurance provider of its size.
- Online applications not available everywhere. MyDirect, MetLife’s online platform for online applications and claims, isn’t available in every state. Visit the MyDirect page to check if it’s available where you live.
- Price. While MetLife’s prices are competitive, you may be able to find better priced coverage elsewhere depending on your coverage needs.
Alternatives to MetLife
How to apply for MetLife car insurance
MetLife offers customers the option to get coverage instantly through its MyDirect platform. Here’s how to get started:
- Visit the MyDirect website and enter your ZIP code to check eligibility.
- If MyDirect is available in your state, move on to step 3. If not, see below.
- Proceed by entering your personal information, then click continue.
- Vehicle and driver information may prepopulate, review your vehicle information then click continue to confirm.
- Add any groups you belong to in order to add to your savings.
- Add driver information for anyone you wish to insure, then continue.
- Add vehicle information for any vehicle you wish to insure.
- Review your details and choose your desired policy option to get a final quote. If you’re satisfied, continue to payment.
- Enter your payment info, then submit your application.
- That’s it, you’re covered!
Unfortunately, MyDirect availability is limited, so you may need to get a quote then purchase coverage via phone. Here’s what you’ll need to do if MyDirect isn’t available where you live:
- After entering your ZIP code into MyDirect, you’ll be directed to MetLife’s quote tool if you aren’t eligible.
- Enter your personal information, then continue.
- Enter your vehicle information, then proceed to the next step
- Enter your current insurance information and desired policy start date
- Enter driver information for anyone you wish to insure
- Enter driver history for each driver on the policy
- Select your desired policy options
- Review your quote and policy details, then call MetLife to purchase your policy
What do customers say about MetLife?
MetLife isn’t accredited on the official BBB website. It holds a “C-” rating, along with a composite score of 2 out of 5 possible stars. Additionally, there are lots of negative customer complaints, mostly about a refusal to pay claims, rate increases and canceling policies without notice.
However, this isn’t uncommon among insurance providers, especially considering most people only leave reviews if they had bad experiences. But if customer service is your top priority, you might want to consider other companies.
How to contact MetLife
Whether you’d prefer to reach out via phone, online or in person, you can find all contact information on the contact page, which you can find under the support tab on the top ribbon of the MetLife home page.
For individual policies, you can call 800-422-4272. If it’s a policy purchased through your employer you can call 800-438-6381. You can also reach MetLife on twitter @MetLifeCares for general policy assistance. If you’ve filed a claim and want to check your claim status, you can direct message MetLife on twitter with your name, policy number and zip code.
Frequently asked questions about MetLife car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.