Mercury car insurance review
Discover the smartest coverage options for you through a local agent, even for high-risk drivers.
finder.com’s rating: 2.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want to work with a local agent.
- Pick something else if you want to be able to file claims online.
- Drivers who need an SR-22 can get coverage.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Nearly 60 years of industry experience
- Strong A.M. Best financial ratings
- Accepts high-risk drivers
- Lifetime guaranteed repairs
- Personalized service
- Only serves 11 states
- Poor customer service
- No online quotes or claims
- High rates for high-risk drivers
- Android-only app
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
Mercury has standard policies available for every driver, even if you have prior accidents on record. You can get all the standard coverage from Mercury, plus nice extras like roadside assistance, rideshare and rental car coverage. Its huge network of independent agents offer a personalized experience, but your experience will depend on your agent.
While Mercury may accept less-than-perfect records, your rates can cost a lot without discounts. It could be worth getting a quote from Mercury if you can’t qualify for big brand insurers or if high-risk companies charge too much.
However, the company doesn’t have the best customer service. So compare your options to make sure you’re finding the best fit for you.
Mercury car insurance rates
|18 year old male||$1,680||$5,612|
|18 year old female||$1,470||$5,612|
|25 year old male||$874||$4,089|
|25 year old female||$894||$4,089|
|35 year old male||$768||$4,418|
|35 year old female||$802||$4,418|
|45 year old male||$772||$4,735|
|45 year old female||$794||$4,735|
|56 year old male||$830||$4,040|
|56 year old female||$874||$4,040|
Where is Mercury auto insurance available?
Mercury auto insurance is available in 11 states across the country. If you live in any of the following states, you may want to consider Mercury auto insurance coverage.
- New Jersey
- New York
What auto insurance coverage does Mercury provide?
Mercury offers the standard coverage you need to get on the road:
- Liability for bodily injury. Pays for injuries to other people if you’re in an at-fault accident.
- Liability for property damage. Pays for damage to third party property caused by your vehicle.
- Collision. This covers your car for damages caused by an accident.
- Comprehensive. Provides protection from incidents that are out of your control. While it doesn’t cover damage from collisions, you’ll be protected from things like theft, vandalism or severe weather.
- Medical payments. If you or a passenger is injured in a car accident, this coverage will help cover medical bills — regardless of who’s at fault.
- Personal injury protection. Helps pay for medical and rehabilitation expenses, work loss, funeral costs and even replacement services.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorists. When the driver at fault for your accident doesn’t have insurance — or enough of it — to cover your medical bills and damages, this coverage kicks in.
- Rental car reimbursement. Choose coverage levels up to $100 per day for a rental car if your ride is out of commission for accident repairs. It can reimburse you for a rental car for as long as 30 days.
- Roadside assistance. Protect yourself for roadside service needs like towing, locksmith, fuel delivery, battery jumpstart or changing a flat tire.
- Ridesharing. Make sure you have full coverage against liability and physical damage to your car if you get in an accident while waiting to pick up a passenger.
- SR-22. An SR-22 is often required after DUIs, license suspensions, multiple motor vehicle infractions or other severe driving offenses. Mercury can help you file for SR-22 insurance.
What benefits and discounts does Mercury car insurance offer?
Mercury offers a number of discounts on its auto insurance policies that keep prices competitive and provides incentives for safe driving. The discounts available:
- Anti-theft device. Receive better rates when your vehicle is equipped with anti-theft features.
- Good driver. Get discounted rates when you maintain a clean driving record.
- Good student. Students who maintain a “B” average or better can get lower rates.
- Multi-car. Receive discounted rates when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy.
- Multi-policy. Receive better rates when you have multiple types of insurance with Mercury like its home insurance.
- Associations. Members of certain associations can get discounts on Mercury’s insurance products.
- Paid in full. Receive a discount for paying your policy premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Telematics. Receive a discount after signing up for the RealDrive program and lower rates when you verify your mileage.
- Lifetime repair guarantee. Choose one of Mercury’s vetted repair shops and get a lifetime guarantee on the work done to your car.
Pros and cons of Mercury car insurance
- Experienced insurer. With nearly $3 billion in written premiums, this insurance company has earned many customers’ trust in protecting their vehicles.
- Strong finances. A.M. Best gives Mercury an A financial rating, showing the company’s ability to pay claims.
- Bad driving history OK. Although rates may go a bit higher, Mercury accepts drivers that other insurance companies deem too risky to insure.
- Lifetime guaranteed repairs. Mercury preferred repair shops make sure your repairs get you back on the road without extra charges for faulty repairs.
- Personalized service. A local agent can work with you on the right coverage, discounts or savings programs you qualify for.
- Limited states served. Mercury only services 11 states, limiting those who can buy insurance with this company.
- Poor customer service. Customers complain that independent agents lack follow-through for car accidents and general account questions. This could be problematic for a company best known for its personalized service.
- No online claims or applications. Mercury doesn’t allow you to apply for coverage or file a claim online.
- Expensive for drivers with previous claims. Mercury may charge more than competitors if you have a history of accidents. But safe drivers may see rates stay below other companies.
- Android-only app. While this company does offer an app, you can’t access it if you own an iPhone.
Compare alternatives to Mercury
If you’re not in Mercury’s service footprint or you simply want to learn more, check out our car insurance guide to compare your options and find the best policy for your situation.
Mercury car insurance reviews and complaints
Mercury Insurance holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, as of May 20, 2020. Despite its positive business ratings, it sees an above-average number of customer complaints. Customers express frustration with billing issues, denied claims, payouts and more.
Mercury’s complaints for private car insurance is rated at 1.29, according to the 2019 National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) complaint index. A 1.00 is the median complaint rating for the industry based on a company’s size.
But keep in mind the reviews may lean negative since satisfied customers may forget to leave a review. Many people only take the time to post a review when they have either an excellent or poor experience. Most customers won’t leave online reviews if service is as expected.
How do I apply for Mercury auto insurance?
You can start a quote online and purchase your policy through an agent or handle the entire process by calling in. How to apply:
By phone. You can reach an agent at 800-956-3728.
In person. Mercury’s claim to fame is personalized service through a network of independent agents. If you’d prefer to apply in person, you can use the agent locator tool on the website to find the nearest one.
Follow these steps when starting your application online:
- Visit the Mercury Insurance website, enter your ZIP code, then click Get a quote.
- Enter your personal information, including your name and address. Click Save and continue.
- Enter your vehicle details or identification number (VIN), then click Save and continue.
- Add driver details and click Save and continue.
- Enter any additional details asked and previous insurance information. Click Save and continue.
- Review all details, and if you’re satisfied with your quote, click Submit to agent.
- An agent should reach out to you to finalize your policy.
What documents do I need to apply?
Regardless of how you choose to apply, you can speed up the process with the following information on hand:
- Name and date of birth
- Social Security Number
- Residential address
- Vehicle information, including estimated annual mileage
- Prior insurance
- Claim and credit history
- Education history and employment status
How do I file an auto insurance claim with Mercury?
You can file a claim any time of the day or week by calling the claims hotline at 800-503-3724. The claims team will work to gather accident details from you, while helping you tow your car or locate a repair shop if needed.
How do I contact Mercury Insurance?
You can contact Mercury insurance by phone or in person. Get in touch by:
- Calling the customer service phone number at (800)-956-3728.
- Locating an agent near you. Click to find an agent from the Insurance tab on Mercury’s main website. Then, enter your ZIP code and search.
Frequently asked questions about Mercury auto insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you. We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.