Wherever the road takes you, Mercury car insurance protects you when you need it most.
Dedicated to personalized service and affordable rates, Mercury Insurance has a network of over 8,000 independent agents to help get you the coverage you need. Available in 11 states, this provider offers a selection of policy options, additional features, and discounts. Home to over $4 billion in written premiums and a number of awards from various publications, find out if Mercury is the right auto insurance provider for you.
|Name||Mercury Car Insurance|
|Description||Founded in 1961 under the guiding principles of service and security, Mercury has grown to offer a wide range of auto, home, renter and commercial insurance. It prides itself on providing complete coverage for an affordable price with a focus on stellar customer service.|
- Highly rated
- Multiple discounts
- Bad driving history OK
- Poor customer service
- Potentially high rates
What is Mercury Insurance?
Founded in 1961 in under the guiding principles of service and security, Mercury Insurance offers personalized service through its network of over 8,000 independent agents. Since its inception, Mercury has grown to offer a wide range of auto, home, renter and commercial insurance. It prides itself on providing complete coverage for an affordable price with a focus on stellar customer service.
Mercury believes that customers shouldn’t have to pay a premium for access to a dedicated local agent. Its dedication to personalized service and affordable coverage have earned it multiple accolades from the likes of Forbes, A.M. Best, and other reputable publications. From liability insurance to comprehensive coverage, this provider offers a wide selection of policy options with a number of available discounts.
Where is Mercury auto insurance available?
Mercury auto insurance is available in 11 states across the country. If you live in any of the following states, you may want to consider Mercury auto insurance coverage.
- New Jersey
- New York
Who is Mercury auto insurance best for?
With a commitment to personalized service and affordable rates, Mercury auto insurance is best for anyone who values the convenience of a local agent without the added costs. It also offers coverage to many “higher-risk” drivers who may not be able to find it elsewhere. If you live in any of the 11 states it’s available, Mercury auto insurance may be worth considering.
What auto insurance coverage does Mercury offer?
- Liability (Bodily injury). Pays for injuries to other people when the insured vehicle’s driver is legally at fault.
- Liability (Property damage). Pays for damage to third party property caused by your vehicle.
- Collision. This covers damages to your car caused by an automobile accident.
- Comprehensive. Provides protection from incidents that are out of your control. While it doesn’t cover damage from collisions, you’ll be protected from things like theft, vandalism, severe weather, and so on.
- Medical payments. If you or a passenger is injured in a car accident, this coverage will help cover medical bills — regardless of who’s at fault.
- Personal injury protection. Helps pay for medical and rehabilitation expenses, work loss, funeral costs and even replacement services.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorists. When the driver at fault for your accident doesn’t have insurance — or enough of it — to cover your medical bills and damages, this coverage kicks in.
- SR-22. An SR-22 is often required after DUIs, license suspensions, multiple motor vehicle infractions, or other severe driving offenses. If you need an SR-22, Mercury should be able to help.
Discounts on Mercury auto insurance
Mercury offers a number of discounts on its auto insurance policies that keep prices competitive and provide incentives for being a safe driver. Here are a few of the many available discounts:
- Anti-theft devices. Receive better rates when your vehicle is equipped with anti-theft features.
- Good driver discount. Get discounted rates when you maintain a clean driving record.
- Good student discount. Students who maintain a “B” average or better can get better rates.
- Multi-car discount. Receive discounted rates when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy.
- Multi-policy discount. Receive better rates when you have multiple types of insurance with Mercury.
- Association discounts. Members of certain associations can get discounts on Mercury’s insurance products.
- Paid in full. Receive a discount for paying your policy premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- RealDrive. Receive a discount for signing up for the program and even better rates when you verify your mileage.
Does Mercury offer and special programs?
- RealDrive. A program that tracks your mileage to help you get premiums that better reflect your driving habits.
- Personalized service. This provider has a network of over 8,000 independent agents that can provide personalized service for each of its customers.
- Mobile app. Mercury’s mobile app allows customers to manage their accounts, pay bills, and more.
- Associations. Mercury is part of a network of associations whose members benefit from better rates on coverage.
- Vehicle repair program. Mercury has a network of certified repair shops to help you get back on the road as soon as possible.
- Roadside assistance. With some policies, Mercury offers 24/7 roadside assistance in the event that you experience any car trouble away from home.
Pros and cons of Mercury auto insurance
Mercury auto insurance customer reviews
Mercury Insurance Group is NOT accredited on the official BBB website, but it does hold an “A+” rating and a composite score of 3.75 out of 5 possible stars. Despite its positive ratings, there are a number of complaints and negative reviews. Customers express frustration with billing issues, denied claims, payouts, and more.
When doing research on customer reviews, you should always keep in mind that they may be biased. Many people will only take the time to post a review or complaint when their experience is either very good or very bad. Most customers won’t bother to leave online reviews if service is as expected, which is why negative reviews often outweigh positive ones.
How to apply for auto insurance coverage with Mercury
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to apply for coverage with Mercury Insurance online. Instead, you’ll need to get a quote online and purchase your policy through an agent or handle the entire process by calling in. Here’s how to get started.
- Visit the Mercury Insurance website, enter your zip code, then click “Get a quote”
- When prompted to select an option, choose “Auto”.
- Enter your personal information including name, address, and so on. Click “Save and continue”.
- Enter your vehicle information or VIN number, add vehicle then click “Save and continue”.
- Enter vehicle details such as mileage, owned vs. leased, etc, then click “Save and continue”.
- Review your vehicle summary, then click “Save and continue”.
- Add driver details, then click “Save and continue”.
- Review all driver details, then click “Save and continue”.
- Enter any additional details and previous insurance information, then click “Save and continue”.
- Review all details, and if you’re satisfied with your quote, click “Submit to agent”.
- An agent should reach out in the following days to help you finalize your application.
If you’d rather apply by phone, you can reach an agent at (800) 956-3728.
Mercury’s claim to fame is personalized service through a network of independent agents. If you’d prefer to apply in person, you can use the agent locator tool on the website to find the nearest agent.
What do I need to apply?
Regardless of how you choose to apply for coverage, you can speed up the process by having the following information on hand:
- Name and date of birth
- Social Security Number
- Residential address
- Vehicle information, including estimated annual mileage
- Prior insurance
- Claim and credit history
- Education history and employment status
How to file an auto insurance claim with Mercury
In order to file an auto insurance claim with Mercury, you’ll need to contact an agent by phone to get started. You can file claims 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling the claims hotline at (800) 503-3724.
How to contact Mercury Insurance
You can contact Mercury insurance by phone or in person. Visit the “Contact us” page on the Mercury Insurance website for more details on specific phone numbers and ways to contact your agent.
Does Mercury offer other types of insurance?
Mercury offers a handful of other types of coverage. Its other insurance policies include:
- Business auto and umbrella
- Mechanical breakdown protection
Auto insurance providers similar to Mercury Insurance
Mercury Insurance has something for everyone — even if you’ve had prior accidents. It’s vast network of employees and independent agents offer a personalized experience, but keep an eye out for spotty customer service.
As with any major financial decision, don’t forget to compare your options before choosing your coverage and provider.
Get your personalized auto quote
Use our magical comparison tool to find providers with the best rates in your area.
Frequently asked questions about Mercury auto insurance