This product is discontinued and no longer available.
ShopKeep has been acquired by Lightspeed, a cloud-based omnichannel commerce platform. While existing merchants are able keep their ShopKeep accounts, new merchants will need to sign up for Lightspeed directly.
This article is out of date and no longer being updated. If you’re interested in learning more about Lightspeed, read our full review.
ShopKeep reaches beyond its POS solutions to offer an all-in-one processing service.
- Payment processing. ShopKeep Payments allows you to accept a number of payment methods, including cash, credit and debit cards, EMV-chip cards, Apple Pay and Google Pay.
- Merchant account. No need to source your merchant account from a third party — ShopKeep’s payment processing includes an integrated merchant account.
- Point-of-sale software. ShopKeep’s POS software comes with reporting and analytics, inventory management, staff management and QuickBooks Online integration.
- Point-of-sale hardware. ShopKeep offers a range of POS hardware options on its website, including terminals, card readers, printers, barcode scanners, cash drawers and more.
From niche industry offerings to merchant cash advances, ShopKeep has a unique collection of features available.
- Industry POS solutions. ShopKeep advertises a range of niche industry solutions for both the retail and food- and beverage-service industries, including gift shops, pet stores, bakeries, food trucks and clothing boutiques.
- Inventory management. Track, manage, update and reorder inventory with ShopKeep’s inventory management features.
- Employee management. Stay on top of your team with employee clock-in capabilities, scheduling and labor-tracking features.
- QuickBooks integration. ShopKeep integrates with QuickBooks Online to keep your business' POS solution and accounting under one roof.
- ShopKeep Loyalty. Use ShopKeep’s points-based programs to encourage customer loyalty and repeat business.
- ShopKeep Capital. ShopKeep advertises cash advances on future sales with ShopKeep Capital. While this is easier to qualify for than traditional business loans, it's more expensive and daily repayments can be difficult during slow seasons. You might want to see if you can qualify for financing with monthly repayments before committing to this type of funding.
- ShopKeep PocketApp. Keep track of business data in real-time using the ShopKeep PocketApp for Android and iOS.
What hardware is available?
ShopKeep is built to run on both Android and Apple tablets. Merchants who sign up for payment processing through ShopKeep Payments receive a free credit card reader and also have the opportunity to add the following to their setup:
- Tablet stand
- Cash drawer
- Barcode scanner
- Label printer
- Countertop screen guard
Any hardware purchased through ShopKeep's website can be shipped anywhere in the US or Canada for free. And should you have any issues with your hardware during the first year of service, ShopKeep will ship you a free replacement.
ShopKeep's software is also designed to integrate with the following POS hardware providers:
ShopKeep pricing and fees
Flat-rate processing through ShopKeep Payments is subject to the following rates:
- 2.5% + $0.10 per swiped transaction
- 2.8% + $0.10 per invoice
- 2.9% + $0.30 per online transaction
- 3.5% for mobile payments
Merchants can also opt in to interchange-plus processing, with rates that vary by business.
To access ShopKeep’s point-of-sale software, expect to pay a monthly fee. Plans are tiered with features that build on the offerings of the previous tier.
$69 monthly or $588 annually
$99 monthly or $1,188 annually
$199 monthly or $2,148 annually
Everything from the Basic tier, plus:
Everything from the Essential tier, plus:
Pros and cons
- 24/7 support. ShopKeep advertises day-and-night tech support by phone for its merchants.
- Month-to-month billing. ShopKeep’s services are available monthly so you don't need to sign up for a contract or worry about cancellation fees.
- Unlimited users and inventory. ShopKeep’s POS software allows you to add unlimited users and inventory items.
- No free trial period. While a free demo video is advertised on ShopKeep’s website, you won't be able to explore the software unless you pay for it.
- Long wait times. Multiple customer reviews across the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot report tech support wait times in excess of 30 minutes.
ShopKeep reviews and complaints
As of March 2021, ShopKeep is a Better Business Bureau (BBB) accredited business and boasts an A+ BBB rating — but its 25 customer reviews award it 1.17 out of 5 stars. On Trustpilot, ShopKeep maintains a TrustScore of 3.2 out of 5 based on 822 reviews.
Customers speak highly of its convenient POS software features and easy onboarding. But multiple complaints report buggy POS hardware and long wait times to reach customer service.
What I thought of ShopKeep’s customer service
I called ShopKeep to ask if it charges a cancellation fee. I found the phone number in the top right corner of its home page. While not able to fully answer my question, the rep I spoke to was quite pleasant and wished me luck in opening my store. Here’s a breakdown of the call:
- Did I get an answer? Sort of — the rep confirmed there are no cancellation fees for ShopKeep’s month-to-month service but wasn’t sure about fees for yearly plans. The rep suggested we talk to a product specialist to find out.
- How long did it take? The call lasted two minutes and 27 seconds.
- Was there an automated system? Yes, press 1 for sales. I was placed on a brief hold, but ShopKeep’s hold music is surprisingly fun.
How do I open an account?
To open an account, head to ShopKeep's website and select Get Started. Then follow these steps.
- Select your estimated monthly sales.
- Enter the number of locations your business has.
- Tell ShopKeep how many registers you require. Choose Next.
- Tell ShopKeep how long you've been in business and what type of POS system you currently use. Choose Next.
- Select how soon you'd like to install your ShopKeep POS system.
- Enter your business email address, full name, business name and phone number.
- Select Get My Free Quote.
A ShopKeep rep will be in touch within one business day to discuss your POS options.
What other products will I need?
While ShopKeep offers POS solutions and payment processing, you'll need an additional account before you can accept customer payments:
- Checking account. You'll be asked to link a business checking account to your ShopKeep account for transaction funds to be deposited.
What is ShopKeep?
ShopKeep was founded in 2008 in New York City as a desktop point-of-sale solution. In 2015, it acquired Payment Revolution, allowing it to offer payment processing in addition to its POS system. In 2020, it was acquired by cloud-based omnichannel commerce platform, Lightspeed.
Today, it supports over 25,000 merchants across the US and processes over $289 million in transactions annually.
How do I contact ShopKeep support?
The ShopKeep customer service team can be contacted by:
- Phone. Call 855-941-3311 to speak to a member of the ShopKeep team weekdays from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and weekends from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.
- Email. Fill out a secure online form on ShopKeep’s website for a reply from the support team within one business day.
- Live chat. ShopKeep support is available through the live chat feature on its website weekdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Compare other POS providers
ShopKeep bundles POS systems with a payment processing service to offer a cohesive merchant service with niche offerings for those in the retail and service industries. But it’s not up front about rates and fees, and there’s no option to try the software before purchasing.
Not sure ShopKeep is the right fit? Review your POS options with additional providers before you make a decision.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need an Internet connection to process payments?
For the most part — yes. ShopKeep’s software can handle cash sales, and Clover devices with enabled offline payments can continue to accept credit cards without Internet connectivity. But for all other processing, you'll need an active Internet connection to accept customer payments.
Is ShopKeep available internationally?
ShopKeep is currently only available to merchants located in the US and Canada.
What devices can I use with ShopKeep?
You can run ShopKeep’s POS software on the following devices:
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad Pro
- iPad Mini 4 running iOS 10 and above
- Tablets running Android v5.0 Lollipop and above