It offers customizable POS systems, but you’ll be saddled with a merchant account with a dubious reputation.Clover’s signature hardware is one of the most ubiquitous systems on the market, sold by a number of third-party processors across the US and backed by its parent company, First Data.
But purchasing hardware through Clover means you’ll end up with a First Data merchant account — a provider with a history of account holds, pushy salespeople and frustrating customer service experiences.
- Choose this provider if you want an all-in-one processing solution.
- Consider something else if you prefer to choose a payment processor.
Clover’s Point of sale (POS) systems are accompanied by a merchant account and payment processing:
- Payment processing. Clover’s software plans come with built-in processing, but rates hinge on the provider you choose.
- Merchant account. Clover’s point-of-sale solutions come with a First Data merchant account.
- POS software. Clover offers three software service plans with features that scale by industry and hardware type.
- POS hardware. Clover’s four signature hardware options, the Station, Flex, Mini and Go, can be purchased from its website.
Clover POS features
Along with standard sales reports and gift cards, Clover’s point-of-sale solutions come equipped with:
- Offline payments. Accept payments even when your Internet connectivity lapses and process outstanding sales when you reconnect.
- Staff management. Track and manage employee performance with sales reports, time clocks, tip pooling, payroll and calculated commissions.
- Customer management. Create customer profiles, build rewards programs and marketing campaigns, assemble feedback and reach out on social media.
- Virtual terminal. Log in to its dashboard from a smartphone, tablet or computer to accept credit and debit card payments on the go.
- Merchant cash advance. While this is easier to qualify for than traditional business loans, it's more expensive and daily repayments can be difficult during slow seasons. Consider all of your options before signing up.
- Scan to order. Invite restaurant guests to scan a generated QR code with their mobile device to digitally view your menu, place an order and submit payment.
- App market. Customize your hardware with free and paid apps for managing inventory, employees and customers, to market your business and more.
Restaurant POS features
Use Clover’s POS solutions across a variety of industries, but it has two unique offerings for restaurants:
- Counter Service Plus. POS bundle geared toward quick-service restaurants, like cafes and pizza parlors. It includes the Clover Station, a customer-facing Mini, a receipt printer and a cash drawer. Customer management tools come integrated with your hardware.
- Clover Dining. Helps full-service restaurants manage the ebb and flow of daily service with custom floor plans, table management, bill splitting and fire-to-kitchen features.
What hardware is available?
Clover’s hardware options range from a petite mobile card reader to the comprehensive Clover Station:
High-resolution 5" touch screen
High resolution 7" touch screen
14" high-definition touch screen
Pricing and fees
Choose from three service tiers for Clover’s software: Payments Plus, Register Lite and Register.
A Clover rep helps you choose the best plan for your business. The rep we talked to suggested customized plans and rates may also be available once you provide more detail about your business.
Payments PlusRegister LiteRegister
Businesses looking for a free plan with basic features
Businesses processing less than $50,000 annually
Businesses processing more than $50,000 annually
In-person processing rate
2.7% + $0.10
2.7% + $0.10
2.3% + $0.10
3.5% + $0.10
3.5% + $0.10
3.5% + $0.10
Includes all features of Payment Plus and:
Includes all features of Register Lite and:
Do I have to use Clover as a payment processor in order to use its POS system?
No — Clover processing is only required if you purchase your system directly through Clover. You can use a third-party payment processor with a Clover system, but you’ll need to order the hardware directly through that processor. Any equipment on Clover’s site is programmed to work with Clover Payments.
Pros and cons
- Accept any type of payment. Clover’s POS hardware allows you to process credit cards, debit cards, contactless NFC payments, paper checks and cash.
- 24/7 support. Clover's tech support team is available by phone around the clock.
- App market. Customize your Clover system with a range of popular software integrations including Gusto, QuickBooks, Nav, JazzHR and more.
- Limited merchant account. Clover systems are locked into a First Data merchant account: a merchant acquirer with a reputation for account holds and disappointing customer service.
- No free hardware. Clover products can get spendy in a hurry, and unlike its competitor, Square, it doesn’t offer any free hardware to new merchants.
Clover reviews and complaints
As of February 2021, Clover reviews are generally poor. It doesn't have a dedicated page with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but its parent company, First Data, does. First Data is not an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau and receives a B+ rating with 733 complaints to its name. Unfortunately, this doesn't tell us a whole lot about Clover. For a more in-depth look at how Clover is perceived by its customers, we turn to its Trustpilot page.
Clover has a TrustScore of 1.3 out of 5 based on the feedback of 323 customers. While customers speak highly of its speedy onboarding and customizable software, common complaints include hidden PCI-compliance fees, inexperienced tech support and multiple transaction holds.
How do I open an account with Clover?
You can purchase a Clover system through a third-party reseller, or start the signup process on Clover’s website:
- Click Get Started and select the industry that best matches your business. Or, click Shop All Systems.
- Select the Clover product you’re interested in purchasing. Click Buy Now.
- Select your software plan. Click Add to Cart.
- Select any additional hardware you’d like to add to your cart. Click Next.
- Enter your full name, business name, email address and shipping address. Click Continue.
- Complete your application by following the link sent to your submitted email address.
If approved, Clover ships your hardware and bills your next monthly statement.
What other products do I need?
With Clover, you have most of what you need to accept customer payments, including a POS system, payment processor and merchant account. But you’ll need a checking account to accept payments:
- Checking account. Your chosen provider asks you to link a business checking account to your merchant account for deposits.
What is Clover?
Clover was founded in 2012 and is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California. In the same year it was established, it was acquired by First Data — one of the largest merchant services providers in the US.
To date, Clover has sold more than a million devices worldwide. Its products are available in the US, Canada, the UK, Germany, Austria, Ireland, the Netherlands and Argentina.
How do I contact Clover support?
Reach Clover support by:
- Phone. Call 866-330-3392 if you don’t have a Clover account. If you have a Clover account, your help number can be found at the top of your device screen, on the homepage of your web dashboard and in the Clover Go app. Support is available 24/7.
- Live chat. The live chat feature on Clover’s website is available weekdays 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST, and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Compare other POS providers
Clover pairs sleek point-of-sale hardware with software that can be customized by industry. But you’ll be stuck with First Data as your payment processor and customers warn of frustrating tech support experiences.
Review your processing options with additional providers before making a decision.
Frequently asked questions
How do I sign up for Clover processing?
You must purchase a Clover device to submit an application for Clover’s payment processing service.
Can I lease Clover hardware?
Clover offers interest-free installment plans you can select when completing your purchase through its online store.
Which Clover products let me process offline payments?
All of Clover’s devices can process offline payments.