Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Mercari review: How it works, pros, cons and more
What to know about shopping this popular secondhand app.
- For sellers: Mercari takes 10% as commission when you sell pre-owned items through its platform, which is better than Poshmark and Ebay
- For buyers: Get up to 70% off the original price of pre-owned brand name clothing, electronics, beauty products and more. See our dedicated guide to learn more about selling on Mercari.
- If your purchase is not as described, cash in on a money-back guarantee
- Customers can shop products up to 70% off
- 350,000+ items added daily
- Get $5 when you list your first item
- Shop discounted designer brands, like Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors and Coach
- Listing your items is free
- Get same-day shipping on some items
- No financing options
- No on-call customer service agents
- Seller gets paid after the buyer rates the item
Mercari reviews and complaints
There are numerous complaints from customers about receiving items that were not as described, difficulty reaching customer service agents and an increase in shipping prices. Others complimented the online marketplace’s quick, easy selling process and appreciated the return policy that requires buyers to include photos of items they want to return.
What can you buy and sell at Mercari?
- Womenswear. You’ll find all kinds of products for women, including clothing, accessories, shoes and swimwear.
- Menswear: Shop shoes, blazers and athletic apparel. There’s also a bevy of accessories, including hats and watches.
- Kids apparel. Shop tons of kids clothing and accessories, including swimsuits, shoes and car seats.
- Electronics. Enjoy everything from DVDs, cell phones, laptops and much more tech gadgets.
- Toys. Discover plenty of goodies to keep kids busy, including games, puzzles and trading cards.
- Home. There are plenty of options for decorating your home — bedding, furniture, seasonal decor and much more.
- Beauty. Beauty junkies can purchase discounted products on brands like MAC Cosmetics, Bath & Body Works and Tarte.
- Vintage items. You’ll find a plethora of vintage bags, jewelry and antiques.
- Sports apparel. Athletes can shop all kinds of sports-related apparel including jerseys, trading cards and footwear.
- Handmade items. Want something really original? Discover handmade products like ceramics, woodworking and quilts.
Shipping, payments and returns
How can I get free delivery?
The seller determines if they or the customer pays for shipping. If they indicate that the customer will pay for shipping, the cost is added to the item. If not, the customer snags free delivery!
When a seller opts to pay for shipping, they’re given a prepaid label from Mercari, which includes $200 shipping protection.
Here’s how the price breaks down:
- Small packages — up to 1 lb: $4.99
- Medium packages — up to 5 lbs: $9.99
- Large packages — up to 40 lbs: $30
Important note: If you ship a package that exceeds the weight on the prepaid label, you’ll be responsible for paying the overage fees and won’t get shipping protection.
You can pay for your Mercari purchases with all major credit cards (Discover, Visa, Mastercard and American Express), PayPal and Apple Pay.
Returning your order
All sales are final with Mercari unless your purchase meets the following criteria:
- The item is not as described.
- The item is counterfeit.
- The item is prohibited from Mercari’s selling list.
- The item is damaged or defective.
- You received the wrong item.
Return requests must be made within three days of receiving the item and before you’ve rated the seller. You’ll submit a form, which includes the reason for the return and four clear pictures of the item.
How do I return an item?
If your request is approved, Mercari will send you a prepaid and addressed shipping label to send the returned item to the seller. Choose to receive credit through the site or get a refund directly to your card.
Mercari notes that lower priced items often cannot be returned and you’ll instead be issued online credit.
What sets Mercari apart?
Sellers will appreciate that Mercari takes a flat 10% fee when you’ve sold an item, in comparison to Poshmark, which takes 20% on items $15+ and eBay, which takes up to 12% of the item’s final value. They’ll also enjoy a super easy, efficient system for listing products.
Another bonus: Sellers can promote their items and bumping themselves up to a higher spot in the search results. They can also send offers directly to shoppers who have liked their items.
As a buyer, you can enjoy a wide variety of products you might not find from traditional retailers, like rare vintage items and handmade crafts.
How can I contact customer support?
You can email customer support directly through Mercari’s website via its contact form.
Mercari is a great option to connect buyers and sellers looking to list a wide variety of products, from unique handmade items to brand name apparel. If Mercari doesn’t quite sound like what you’re looking for, check out these similar alternatives to Mercari.
Frequently asked questions
How can I get paid if a buyer doesn’t rate my item?
If a buyer forgets to rate you after delivery, Mercari will give you an automatic five-star score which will factor into your overall rating and release your payment.
How can I modify my rating?
Unfortunately, you can’t. If a customer gives you a poor rating, your best bet is to figure out what went wrong with the purchase and then aim to improve your score with future positive reviews.
How do I price my items?
First, take a look at how similar items on the site are priced. Make sure you’re not setting your price tag too high or too low.
Also, be mindful about the season you’re selling your item. For example, if you’re listing snowshoes, adjust the price based on the time of year you have them up for sale. Price lower for summer and higher for winter.
If you haven’t sold your item in two to three days, consider lowering the price.
More guides on Finder
Get up to 90% off popular brands through ThredUp, a secondhand clothing website. Here’s what you need to know before you start shopping.
Should you sell on Poshmark or Tradesy?
Compare pros and cons of selling on Poshmark vs. Tradesy to help you get the most for your secondhand clothing, shoes and accessories.
Sites like Mercari
Looking for an alternative to Mercari? Here are some worthy competitors that offer high-end brands at steep discounts.
A guide to carbon offsets and how they work
Plus, 3 easy-breezy ways to reduce your carbon footprint.
Peapod is a delivery service that shops, packs and delivers your groceries to your home or business. See a step-by-step guide, customer reviews and what to watch out for.
Airweave mattress brand review
Learn more about an eco-friendly, customizable mattress backed by research. See trial and warranty information, shipping and more.
What to expect from the Overstock Customer Day sale
See when to start shopping for Overstock’s Customer Day sale, what the biggest bargains are and get style inspo from our top product picks.
Where to buy unique hoodies
7 sites to buy unique hoodies online.
Where to buy the PlayStation 5
With the PS5 set to launch November 12th, check in on new stock at top sites to put in your order today.
Mask Makers review
Learn about this Finder-verified company. See what you can buy, weigh pros and cons and get free shipping from Mask Makers — based in Michigan.
Ask an Expert