Why are households are changing mattresses? | finder.com

Splitting the sheets, but ditching the bed

14.1 million American households replace their mattress after a breakup or divorce.

Americans in roughly 12% of the nation’s households would say goodbye to their mattress following a breakup or divorce, according to the latest findings from finder.com.

That’s about 14.1 million American households left with tired mattresses after a relationship has exhausted.

Curiously, of those who are divorced, only 9% of women and 15% of men say they replaced their mattress after separating.

What’s the major reason for ditching your mattress?

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the top reason people give for replacing their mattress is that it’s been ruined, be it by bed bugs or broken springs, with 51% of those surveyed saying it’s the reason they switched it out.

Closely following as the reason for reconsidering a mattress choice is health issues, with 36% saying their bad back or other ailments required a change for better sleep. Health is followed by those who routinely change their mattress every 7 to 10 years.

These segments of people make up 95% of American households (113 million) that have switched their mattress at least once. That leaves roughly 5.6 million households (5%) who’ve never changed out their original mattress.

Gen X most likely to say ‘Bye bed’ following a breakup

At 15% of those surveyed, Gen X leads the generations who say they’ve ditched their mattress following a divorce or breakup. They’re followed by Gen Y at 14%, with boomers trailing at 5% — remarkable, because they’ve had more time to marry and divorce.

Here too, the main reasons generations say goodbye to their mattress is that it’s been ruined, followed by health issues and routinely changing their mattress every 7 to 10 years.

For media inquiries:

Jennifer McDermott
Jennifer McDermott

Consumer advocate helping people improve their personal finances.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder.com provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on finder.com are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site