Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
Learn your Mastercard’s security features
Multilayer security includes fraud monitoring and resolution if your ID is compromised.
Mastercard boasts that it’s the world’s fastest payment network, safely processing payments among banks and merchants. Banks and financial institutions issue each Mastercard in your wallet under their own safety regulations. But they’re all part of Mastercard’s multilayer security designed to help keep your card and account safe.
What security features come with Mastercard credit cards?
These are the main security features and services provided by Mastercard credit cards:
- Chip technology. A chip is embedded inside each credit card to enhance payment security. This chip creates unique data with each new transaction, and it also makes counterfeiting much more difficult.
- Zero liability policy. This policy protects you from unauthorised transactions made in stores, online, on your mobile device or over the phone. With reasonable care to protect your card against loss and theft and prompt reporting to your card provider, you aren’t liable for transactions at the hands of someone else.
- Identity theft resolution. Get help resolving identity theft 24/7 at 800-307-7309 or 800-MASTERCARD. Its certified resolution specialists help you notify relevant credit bureaus to cancel your compromised card and arrange for a replacement.
- SecureCode. Select card issuers offer this service that enhances the security of online transactions when you’re shopping at participating online stores. This extra step at checkout results in a code received by text that you enter before your purchase can be processed.
- Tokenization. Translate chip technology into the online environment with this process that replaces your Mastercard account number with a unique token good for an online, mobile or contactless payments.
Are Mastercard’s contactless payments secure?
Contactless payments come with encryption that is unique to every purchase. And since the card or your mobile device doesn’t leave your hand, it reduces the risk of loss or counterfeit. In case you tap twice by accident, Mastercard will make sure to bill you only once. This makes the payment method one of the safest ways to pay.
The most common contactless payment type in the US is the mobile payment. Smartphone technology and apps such as Google Wallet and Apple Pay allow contactless payments from your mobile phone or other smart devices. These methods are also covered by Mastercard’s zero liability policy and tokenization.
Other credit card security features
Security features offered by your credit card issuer can include a selection of features that include:
- Chips and physical security. Your unique account number, three-digit CVV code, signature panel, hologram and account name work together to keep your card secure.
- Fraud monitoring. Most card providers offer specialized teams that routinely monitor your account for fraud, reporting and investigating irregular transactions immediately. Many issuers also call or text to confirm it was you who swiped or dipped for a purchase.
- Chargebacks. If you discover an error or suspicious charge on your statement or fail to receive the merchandise you’ve paid for, you can start an investigation on your behalf. Your card provider may initiate a dispute with a merchant to reverse the transaction.
Compare Mastercard credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Mastercard adopts intelligent safeguards that protect your card, your purchases and your identity. If you lose your Mastercard credit card or notice something fishy on your account, contact your card issuer to report it. You aren’t held liable for unauthorized or fraudulent activity.
Find the best everyday, rewards or 0% intro APR option for your wallet and lifestyle by comparing credit cards on the market.
Pictures: Shutterstock/Getty ImagesBack to top
More guides on Finder
Revenued Business Card Visa® Review
A business card and credit line combo designed for small businesses and those with no credit.
Sable ONE Secured Credit Card Review
A user-friendly secured card with no credit check required.
Bread Cashback™ American Express® Credit Card review
A simple 2% cashback card that could benefit from extra features.
Aspire® Cash Back Reward Card Review
A credit building card held back by fees.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Unlimited Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card review
Earn up to 2.62% back depending on your Preferred Rewards membership.
7 financial experts reveal which credit cards they own
We asked 7 financial experts what credit card they have in their wallet right now. Here’s the skinny.
Corpay Mastercard® review
Earn 1.5% back on your eligible business purchases.
Aeroplan® Credit Card review
Chase’s new Air Canada card offers a big signup bonus.
Cleo Credit Builder card Review
A secured charge card with an unfortunate monthly fee.
Ask an Expert