MassMutual life insurance review 2021
This insurer offers various policies, but doesn't have the most competitive rates for those with health issues.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if… You want several policy options from a reputable company.
- Choose a different provider if… You have health problems or are a senior citizen only looking for final expense coverage.
18 to 80
$2,000 to $10,000,000
Depends on policy
Medical Exam Required
|Policies||Term, Whole life, Universal, Guaranteed acceptance|
|Term lengths||10, 15, 20, 25, 30 years|
|Medical exam required||Depends on policy|
|Available states||All states but Alaska|
|Issue age||18 - 80 years old|
- Immediate term life insurance.
- Online quote tool.
- Potential dividends.
- Guaranteed acceptance.
- Start a claim online.
- Medical exam likely required.
- Limited riders.
- Not competitive for everyone.
Accelerated death benefit rider
Guaranteed insurability rider
Andrew Flueckiger is a licensed insurance agent and Certified Insurance Counselor with experience in insurance and finance. A graduate of Indiana University, Andrew contributes a wealth of knowledge and experience to Finder. When Andrew isn’t writing, reading or practicing insurance, he can be found spending time with his family and playing the guitar.
MassMutual has an edge over its competitors with its consistent positive reviews and strong financial stability. Its many policy options and riders mean you may have a good chance of finding the coverage you’re looking for.
However, MassMutual’s rates aren’t as competitive for seniors, smokers or people with health problems. Before committing to coverage, compare life insurance companies.
MassMutual life insurance rates
According to MassMutual’s website, a $250,000, 20-year term policy for a healthy 30 year old male costs $160 per year. But the actual rate you’re offered will come down to many factors, including:
- Type of policy
- Height and weight
- Health issues
- Health history
- Tobacco use
What affects my rate with MassMutual
The best rates are reserved for those with the best health. To qualify for better rates, you’ll need to have:
- Minimal or no history of tobacco use
- No history of alcohol or substance abuse
- Personal and family health history free of specified diseases or impairments
- Clean driving record free of DWIs, DUIs, suspensions and other convictions
- Healthy blood pressure and BMI
- Low-risk occupation or hobbies
How to get a quote from MassMutual life insurance
You can apply for a policy online. Go to MassMutual’s website and follow these steps:
- Scroll down to the How much life insurance do I need? section.
- Input your date of birth, zip code and the appropriate box that asks what you need life insurance for.
- Click Get Started.
- Enter your family members ages, if appropriate, and other financial information such as how much you intend to pay for college and a mortgage.
- Click Calculate.
- Review the numbers and scroll down to hit Apply Now in the apply online section.
- Fill out the information card and select your policy and amount of coverage.
- Create an account.
- Complete the application and click Submit.
I’ve signed up. What happens next?
You may get an instant approval on your application. If you have any health concerns, it will likely be deferred to an underwriter who will look at your application.
Once approved, you’ll need to register to have an online account. You’ll also need to submit your first payment and can do so on your online account.
What types of life insurance coverage does MassMutual offer?
MassMutual offers term and permanent life insurance policies.
- Term life. This temporary policy offers protection for a period between 10 and 30 years. After the policy’s term, your premiums will substantially increase or you can convert some or all of it into a permanent whole life policy without an additional medical exam.
- Whole life. This permanent policy allows you to build cash value to tap into for college tuition, retirement or unexpected emergencies if needed. You’re also eligible for dividends.
- Universal life. These flexible plans allow for permanent coverage with flexible payments based on your accrued account value. Options for guaranteed death benefits can provide a lump-sum payment to your loved ones after death.
- Guaranteed acceptance life. MassMutual is one of only a few insurers that will write you a life insurance policy regardless of your health condition. Though premiums are considerably higher, and you must be between the ages of 50 and 75.
Can healthcare workers get free life insurance during the coronavirus?
Yes. Beginning July 30th, MassMutual is offering free life insurance to healthcare workers through its HealthBridge program. The coverage includes a three-year term policy worth $25,000 for applicants 18 to 50 years old, and $10,000 for those 51 to 60 years old.
The policy is open to doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners and physician assistants with an annual income of $250,0000 or less. Along with being a US citizen, healthcare workers must work or volunteer for at least 10 hours a month at a hospital or clinic that tests or treats patients with COVID-19 to be eligible. Eligible healthcare workers can apply via Massmutual’s website.
What riders can I add to my policy?
MassMutual offers a number of riders to enhance your policy for an additional premium. The availability of each rider varies by the type of policy. Some popular options include:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. A rider that allows you to take out most of your death benefit if you’ve been diagnosed with a terminal illness with less than 12 months of life expectancy.
- Conversion rider. This rider gives you the option of converting your term policy into a whole life policy before you turn 65 — or after 65 if you’ve had the policy less than 10 years.
- Guaranteed insurability rider. Allows you to increase your death benefit at certain ages without having to prove your health status. It’s often used on whole life policies bought on children, allowing them to increase coverage when they’re adults.
MassMutual life insurance reviews and complaints
MassMutual’s Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating is usually strong, but it was recently downgraded to a B- due to a failure to respond to complaints. The BBB has recorded 53 complaints in the past three years, many of which honed in on poor customer support and specific benefit payouts —problems shared by other life insurance companies.
|AM Best financial rating||
1.5/5 out of 12 customer reviews
|JD Power score||769|
|Customer reviews verified as of||22 January 2021|
Compare life insurance companies like MassMutual
More about MassMutual
MassMutual’s full name is the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company and was founded in Springfield, Massachusetts in 1851. In 2018, it came in at 93 on the Fortune 500 list.
In addition to life insurance, MassMutual also offers disability insurance, long term care insurance, retirement services such as annuities and IRAs, and investment services.
In 2015, it created a separate company called Haven Life, which caters more toward younger people and solely sells term life insurance policies.
Frequently asked questions about MassMutual life insurance
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor