MassMutual disability insurance review 2020
This plan is designed to bridge any gaps in your employer's disability coverage.
- Consider MassMutual if… You you’re looking to supplement your employer-sponsored disability insurance.
- Look elsewhere if… You want to apply for coverage online.
Built-in benefits and available policy riders
- Automatic benefits increase. Boosts your benefits over time so you don’t have to worry about manually adjusting your coverage.
- Retirement protection. Certain policies are designed to help you save for retirement, even when you can’t work.
- Coverage growth rider. Increases your coverage to make sure your benefit matches your growing salary.
- Extended partial disability benefits rider. Pays out a lower portion of your benefits if you go back to work to some extent.
- Future insurability option rider. Allows you to purchase more coverage later on without providing extra evidence of insurability.
- Group supplement rider. Supplements the disability insurance you get from your employer.
- Own-occupation rider. Pays benefits if you return to part- or full-time work in a different profession.
MassMutual disability insurance reviews and complaints
MassMutual isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it holds a B- rating for its customer engagement. Customers award the company 1 out of 5 stars. The BBB records 55 complaints over the past three years, many of which revolve around managing retirement accounts and issues with the claims process. We couldn’t find any complaints specific to disability insurance.
In J.D. Power’s latest study on customer satisfaction, MassMutual ranked tenth out of 23 life insurance companies surveyed. It earned three out of five circles, which indicates there’s room for improvement.
MassMutual’s financial strength
An insurer’s financial strength rating points to its ability to pay out claims. MassMutual scores stellar ratings with the four main rating agencies, which means it has the funds to meet its financial obligations.
|A.M. Best||A++, Superior|
|Moody’s||Aa3, High Quality|
|Standard & Poor’s||AA+, Very Strong|
|Fitch||AA+, Very Strong|
|J.D. Power||3 out of 5 circles|
Compare alternatives to MassMutual
How do I sign up for MassMutual disability insurance?
To get a free quote and start the application process, follow these steps:
- Go to the MassMutual website.
- Click Insurance then select Disability Income Insurance from the dropdown menu.
- Scroll down to Have Questions? and enter your ZIP code. Then, click Find a Financial Professional.
- Under Focus, click Insurance Strategies and choose a local agent to assist you by phone or email.
More about MassMutual
Founded in 1851, MassMutual has grown to be one of the largest corporations in the US by revenue according to the Fortune. In 2018, it came in at 93 on the Fortune 500 list.
Headquartered in Springfield, Massachusetts, the insurer also offers life and long-term care insurance, retirement products like annuities and IRAs, and investment services.
Frequently asked questions
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at finder.com who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
If your employer’s disability insurance doesn’t meet all your needs, MassMutual’s plan may be able to bridge those gaps with riders and extra built-in benefits. However, be aware that it might take a while to get a local agent on the phone.
To explore your options, compare other disability insurance companies before you sign up.