Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best massage guns
Wake up your workout — and your tired muscles.
Athletes and weekend warriors alike are picking up massage guns to knead sore muscles and boost recovery. To get on board with the popular wellness trend, take a look at our breakdown of some top models and find the best one for you.
Compare some of the best massage guns
|Name||Average price||Type||Speed settings||Battery life (minutes)||Attachments||Purchase|
|Theragun G3 Pro||$600||Percussive||2||150||6||Shop now|
|TimTam Power Massager Pro||$500||Percussive with vibrating attachment||3||40–60||3||Shop now|
|Hyperice Hypervolt||$350||Vibration||3||180||5||Shop now|
|AchedAway Massage Gun||$230||Percussive and vibration||5||300||5||Shop now|
|Vybe Deep Muscle Massager||$150||Percussive||6||45–60||3||Shop now|
Types of massage guns
Percussive massage guns provide enough pressure to reach deep layers of muscle tissue, releasing knots and tension, while vibration massage guns use surface-level vibration to relieve pain and discomfort with gentler pulses.
Generally speaking, percussive massage guns are best suited for athletes and people who participate in intense physical activity. If you’re looking for relief from the occasional tight muscle or chronic pain, a vibration massage gun might be your best bet.
How to compare massage guns
Consider these factors when narrowing down your search:
- Price. Massage guns range from around $60 to $600 depending on factors like power, speed and battery life. While the average user likely doesn’t need to spend $600 on a massage gun, it might make sense for an athlete or someone into intense physical training to splurge on a higher-end model. Both percussive and vibration massage guns come at a range of price points — although the most expensive models tend to be percussive.
- Type. Are you looking for a gentler, more relaxing experience or a more intense massage? Answering this question will help you decide on a vibration or percussive massage gun. And a few models are able to do both.
- Options. Many massage guns come with various speed and power settings, while some also come with removable attachments. If you’re looking to treat multiple areas of your body, more options may help you customize each massage.
- Battery life. A longer battery life comes in handy if you want to travel with your massage gun. Battery life typically ranges from 40 to 300 minutes on a single charge.
How to use a massage gun
Each massage gun should come with its own specific set of instructions. But these general guidelines can help you get started:
- Apply the device to sore areas for up to two minutes at a time.
- Don’t worry about applying extra pressure — the massage gun will do that for you.
- Work around tight knots in muscles — rather than directly on the knot itself.
- You can use the device before a workout to help activate muscle groups.
- Consult a doctor before using a massage gun on a sprain, strain or other injury.
More and more people are turning to at-home massage guns to help give their workouts and recovery a leg up. If you’re seeking relief from muscle soreness and enhanced muscle recovery, start comparing your options.
Take a look at our favorite home gym systems to bring your workout home, too.
How did we choose these products?
We considered the type, number of speed settings and attachments, battery life and price when creating our list of the top massage guns. We’ve selected options in a range of budgets that offer a competitive blend of value and price.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
13 of the best shoes for nurses
Shop some of the best nursing shoes to help you stay on your feet in comfort and style. We share our picks and tips and advice from nurses.
Compare drones: Your guide to choosing the right model
Interested in racing, recreational flying or aerial photography? This guide helps you compare and choose the perfect drone for you.
8 ways to spoil your pet for National Love Your Pet Day
Spoil your pet with these creative gift ideas, including a cozy set of pajamas, a fun art project and some hilarious socks. Save with top deals.
Singles Awareness Day self-care ideas
From yoga classes to a bestselling journal, here are some of the top gift ideas to give yourself for Anti-Valentine’s Day.
Best outdoor nativity sets
These nativity scenes will add an extra dose of cheer to your front yard, just in time for Christmas. Find the top sites to shop.
29 LGBTQ-owned businesses to support today and every day
Because being a true ally means putting your money where your mouth is.
8 best artificial Christmas trees
Kick up your slippered feet — we’ve rounded up the best pine trees that don’t need any TLC. See our faves for budget, realistic, small spaces and more.
Made in USA cookware
From cast iron skillets to stainless steel stew pots, whimsical bundt pans and more, support American manufacturing when you buy cookware produced in the US.
What I thought of the Theragun Pro for muscle recovery
Testing the professional-grade percussive therapy device from Therabody.
Top high-waisted joggers in 2021
See top picks for this fall/winter trend, starting at under $20. If these don’t suit your style, learn where you can shop for more — no matter your budget.
Ask an Expert