This nontraditional lender offers loans to low credit applicants in as little as one business day.
Mariner Finances offers a wide range of loan amounts for people who need a personal loan but don’t qualify for the terms offered by a bank. However, it comes at a cost — interest rates start high, and you may end up paying more than you expect each month just to keep up.
|Product Name||Mariner Finance Personal Loan|
|Min. Loan Amount||$1,000|
|Max. Loan Amount||$25,000|
|APR||As low as 24.99%|
|Interest Rate Type||Fixed|
|Minimum Loan Term||1 year|
|Maximum Loan Term||5 years|
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Age 18 or older
- Valid bank account
- Established credit history
- Live in a state serviced by Mariner Finance
What makes Mariner Finance personal loans unique?
Mariner Finance specializes in offering loan options to borrowers with less than stellar credit scores. Founded in 2002 and headquartered in Baltimore, it has over 450 branch locations spread across 22 states. And it offers more than just personal loans: You may also be eligible for a car or home loan through Mariner Finance.
What are Mariner Finance personal loans?
Mariner Finance offers secured and unsecured personal loans of up to $25,000. Interest rates start at 24.99%, and loan terms range from 12 to 60 months . Your loan funds can be used to cover a variety of expenses, including home improvement, medical expenses, vehicle purchases, car loan refinancing, vacations, weddings and debt consolidation.
Does Mariner Finance own Pioneer Credit?
Yes. As of November 2018, all Pioneer Credit branches have officially switched to Mariner Finance. Your loan terms will still be the same, but Mariner Finance will have taken over your loan. If you’re not comfortable with this change, you may want to consider refinancing your personal loan with a new lender.
What are the benefits of a Mariner Finance personal loan?
- Speedy turnaround. Average time to receive funding from a Mariner Finance personal loan is one business day, and its online application takes just minutes to complete.
- Accepts borrowers with low credit scores. As long as you have an established credit history, you could be eligible for a Mariner Finance personal loan.
- No prepayment fees. Repay your loan early without worrying about prepayment penalties.
What to watch out for.
- High APR. Interest rates with Mariner Finance start at a steep As low as 24.99% APR, which means you’ll be paying back more money in the long run.
- Limited availability. So far, Mariner Finance is only available to borrowers in 22 states, so loan availability with this lender is restricted.
- Lack of fee transparency. Mariner Finance doesn’t offer much by way of loan fee transparency on its website, stating that application fees and late fees vary by state.
- In-person application needed for loans greater than $7,000. While you can complete a prequalification application online, you’ll need to follow up with your application documentation in person at Mariner Finance location.
Compare personal loans from top providers
What does the Internet say about Mariner Finance?
Mariner Finance isn’t accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) but does have an A+ rating. However, positive reviews are limited — Mariner Finance only earns one and a half stars — and there are over 200 complaints filed against it. Borrowers complain that Mariner uses predatory methods to persuade borrowers into accepting additional funding and warn of deceptive preapproval offers by mail. Multiple customers complain that the company does not send statements, bills or late notices — which makes it easy to get behind on payments if you aren’t careful.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for a personal loan with Mariner Finance, you must meet the following criteria:
- Valid bank account
- Established credit history
- Live in one of the 22 states serviced by Mariner Finance
- US citizen or permanent resident with a valid visa
- At least 18 years old
How do I apply?
Filling out an application with Mariner Finance should only take a few minutes.
- Visit Mariner Finance’s website and click Apply Now.
- Select the loan amount you’re interested in and click Continue.
- Tell Mariner Finance more about yourself, including your full name, address, date of birth, phone number, email address, Social Security number, employment status and income information.
- Finally, create an account by entering a password and reviewing Mariner Finance’s Terms of Service. Solve the captcha, and click Continue.
Mariner Finance will assess your information and let you know if you prequalify for a loan. Then, you’ll need to visit your nearest Mariner Finance branch to provide your loan officer with the necessary documentation.
Step-by-step application with screenshots
I got the Mariner Finance personal loan. Now what?
Log into your online account. From here, you can make payments, set up automatic withdrawals, update your information and review the terms of your loan. Keep up with your payments and be aware of late fees. Loan fees with Mariner Finance vary by state, so review your loan agreement to familiarize yourself with potential penalties and fees.
Mariner Finance reports payments to TransUnion and Equifax.
Mariner Finance caters to low credit borrowers with flexible eligibility criteria, but its interest rates and potential origination fees could leave you with less money than you were hoping for.
If you’re having trouble securing a loan with a traditional provider, there are other lenders that may be able to meet your needs. Read about your personal loan options so you can make an informed decision.