Compare commercial car insurance for manufacturing businesses

Get coverage with a policy designed for your product delivery fleet.

Last updated:

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

You might need commercial car insurance if your business transports wholesale goods and equipment. Costs depend largely on how much coverage you need as well as the vehicles in your fleet. Look for discounted packages that bundle your insurance needs.

Compare car insurance for manufacturing businesses

Name Product AM Best financial rating Available states
Progressive commercial car insurance
All 50 states
This big-name lender offers general and specialized coverage for your drivers or fleet. But don’t expect top customer support.
Insurance321 commercial car insurance
Not rated
All 50 states
Insurance321 matches you with an agent or broker who can find the best commercial car insurance coverage for your business.
CoverWallet commercial car insurance
Not rated
All 50 states
Your customized business vehicle insurance starts with a quick expert assessment to find the best coverage for your company.
Geico commercial car insurance
All 50 states
Geico promises low premiums and high limits for your company cars.
Liberty Mutual commercial car insurance
All 50 states
Reduce the risk of fleet accidents with Liberty Mutual’s driver safety training and monitoring.
Allstate commercial car insurance
All 50 states
Thanks to customizable coverage and speedy claims, this big-name insurer can help protect you, your employees and your assets.
Esurance commercial car insurance
All states except AK, DE, HI, MT, NH, VT, WY
Esurance offers a modern online and mobile experience that helps you take your insurance on the go. Available in 43 states.
Farmers commercial car insurance
All 50 states
Backed by nearly 100 years in the business and an A+ AM Best rating, Farmers Insurance aims to help you find the coverage you need for your business.

Compare up to 4 providers

Which manufacturing businesses need commercial car insurance?

If you’re manufacturing and transporting wholesale products, you will likely need commercial car insurance. Business auto insurance is usually required if your vehicle is titled to the business, has equipment installed, is used by employees or has a rated load capacity of over 2,000 pounds.

Manufacturing businesses that may need commercial car insurance include:

  • Bottling or canning facilities
  • Coal manufacturers
  • Chemical producers
  • Clothing manufacturers
  • Electronics manufacturers
  • Fabricators
  • Food mills and refineries
  • Furniture manufacturers
  • Meat packing plants
  • Metal and metal works manufacturers
  • Mobile home manufacturers
  • Pet product manufacturers
  • Pharmaceutical companies
  • Plastic manufacturers
  • Printers
  • Publishers
  • Textile mills
  • Tobacco plants

What car insurance coverage do I need for my manufacturing business?

Manufacturers need liability coverage at a minimum. Other types of standard commercial car coverage include:

  • Liability. Pays for damages or personal injuries for the other driver when your company causes an accident.
  • Collision. Covers damages to your vehicle that result from an accident.
  • Comprehensive. Covers expenses related to natural disasters, theft and other situations outside of accidents.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorists. Covers damages and medical expenses if you’re in an accident with a driver whose liability limit isn’t high enough for your business.
  • Medical payments or personal injury. Protects your drivers and passengers by covering medical expenses not covered by health insurance or workers’ compensation.
  • Trailer coverage. Covers the trailers you use to transport wholesale goods to your retailers. Depending on your state, you might need separate liability insurance for your trailers.

Compare commercial car insurance

What additional coverage should I consider?

Depending on the type of industry you’re in, you may need to find packages that allow you to bundle such coverage as:

  • Equipment insurance. Protect your business equipment from damages or theft while on the road. You may not find it categorized under commercial car insurance.
  • Inland marine. Not just for property moved on boats, inland marine coverage protects your cargo in transit by land and by sea. Cover the full value of wholesale goods on your transport trucks, in case of an accident.
  • Roadside assistance. Don’t let minor roadside repairs slow down business. Get coverage for repairs and towing costs.
  • Loan/lease gap. Protect your business from paying on a car’s loan or lease after a total vehicle loss. This coverage applies to amounts not covered by the claim.
  • New vehicle replacement. Replace your much-needed business vehicles if they’re totaled in an accident.
  • Rental reimbursement. Cover the cost of a rental so that you can carry out basic business duties while your car is in the shop.
  • Income loss/downtime coverage. Bridge the gap on your risk of losing revenue when dealing with a commercial vehicle accident
  • Nontrucking liability. If you own commercial trucks, you may want to protect them for use outside of your business.
  • Trailer interchange. Cover non-owned trailers you use with your commercial trucks.
  • Fleet owner package. Many manufacturers own a fleet of vehicles to conduct business. Save on costs by bundling your commercial truck insurance coverage.
  • Manufacturer business package. For the exact coverage your business needs, you may be able to bundle commercial car insurance along with other industry-specific commercial insurance.

How much is car insurance for a manufacturing business?

Insurance prices can vary widely based on the type of manufacturing you do. Your rates will depend largely on how you’re using the vehicle, its weight and how much coverage you need:

  • Commercial car. Regular vehicles used for day-to-day business needs will cost an average of $1,250 a year to insure.
  • Semi-trailer truck. A bigger vehicle used to carry cargo, goods or equipment can run you an average $1,575 a year to insure.
  • Tractor trailer. Because of the vehicle’s weight, tractor trailers can cost more than $2,500 a year to insure. However, you may be eligible for discounts if you own a fleet.

Bottom line

As a manufacturer, you likely transport your goods and equipment with a fleet of cars, vans and trucks. Consider coverage beyond your liability minimum to protect your employees, your goods and your fleet. Opt for a business package to cover many needs at once.

Compare commercial car insurers to find the best fit for your business’s needs.

Compare commercial car insurance

Frequently asked questions

Image from: Shutterstock

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site