Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare manufactured home insurance
Back your home with dwelling, personal belongings and trip protection.
Insurance is similar for manufactured homes as it is for standard homes. However, your insurance could protect against a few specialized risks, like less weather stability or trip collision coverage during transport.
What manufactured home coverage do I need?
Insuring a manufactured home involves similar coverage to onsite homes, except that you might need extra coverage when moving the home to its location. Coverage options include:
- Belongings, also known as personal property
- Valuable belongings
- Detached structures
- Replacement cost for dwelling or belongings
- Trip collision for transporting the home to your land
- Medical expenses to others
- Loss of use
- Water backups
- Matching siding if your home only needs partial repairs
- Identity theft
Do different manufactured homes have different insurance requirements?
For the most part, manufactured homes require the same basic coverage no matter the size or customizations. However, you’ll see a different premium for smaller homes versus larger ones.
What’s the difference between manufactured homes vs. mobile homes?
Both manufactured and mobile homes are built at a factory in two sections and then transported to their location. These homes can be placed on a basement or crawlspace and include many customizations.
Some people consider smaller, trailer-like homes to be mobile homes. But the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) specifies that mobile homes are factory-built homes constructed before June 15, 1976. These homes are treated the same as manufactured homes for insurance purposes.
Where can I buy manufactured home insurance?
How can I get cheap manufactured home insurance?
Your manufactured home may cost less to insure because of its lower replacement cost. But you can still find easy ways to save even more on your homeowners insurance:
- Look at the coverage included. A few companies may include coverage like replacement cost in a standard policy, removing the need to buy extra coverage.
- Install home safety devices. Land discounts for making sure your home has deadbolts, smoke detectors or a theft alarm.
- Bundle with car insurance. Save easily when you use the same company for your home and car insurance.
- Save on payments. Set up automatic payments or choose to pay your premium in full for a discount.
What should I watch out for?
Insuring a manufactured home can be straightforward, but you can take extra steps to prevent damage. Situations to watch when insuring your home:
- Changing home value. Your manufactured home can appreciate or depreciate in value for similar reasons as homes built on site. You should update your policy frequently based on its current replacement cost.
- Weather safety. Consider reinforcing doors and windows and removing nearby trees to protect yourself from future claims for weather damage.
- Animal damage. To protect the underside of your house from animals, you can add skirting to your home, use a mesh wire net called hardware cloth or install motion-sensor lights to frighten critters away. Also, keep trash, debris, bird feeders or animal cages away from your house.
Manufactured homes face a variety of risks from weather to animal damage, although you can prevent some damage simply by taking a few precautions. To find the best protection when damage does befall your home, look at several home insurance companies that cater to manufactured homes.
Frequently asked questions about manufactured home insurance
More guides on Finder
Teladoc review 2020
Find out how this telemedicine app stacks up against its younger competitors.
Carpet cleaning services
Looking for a professional carpet cleaning service to remove stains and revive your carpet? Read our guide and learn how to find a reliable service.
Peapod is a delivery service that shops, packs and delivers your groceries to your home or business. See a step-by-step guide, customer reviews and what to watch out for.
How to take the life insurance exam blood test
Learn what to expect from the blood test portion of your paramedical exam.
How to get life insurance as a freelancer
As a freelancer you may have unpredictable cashflow, but you can still find income protection with term life insurance.
What is trip cancellation insurance and how do I get it?
A safety net for interrupted or canceled trips.
Asbestos and home insurance
Learn when your home insurance policy would and wouldn’t pay to remove this building material.
How much does pet insurance cost for cats?
Discover insurance costs for your cat’s specific breed, based on the 40 breeds we analyzed.
Is supplemental disability insurance right for me?
If you’re concerned your group disability insurance won’t replace enough of your income if you experience a disability, you can buy supplemental disability insurance.
Is credit disability insurance right for me?
Get your loan payments covered when you experience a disability and can’t work, but with limited coverage.
Ask an Expert