Macy’s American Express Card review
- Get this card if you’re a frequent shopper at Macy’s.
- Pick something else if you want the highest rewards on everyday purchases, or if you don’t shop much at Macy’s.
- Apply with a good to an excellent credit score of 670 and higher.
Up to 5%
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
|Welcome Offer||20% off eligible Macy’s purchases the day of and day following approval|
|Rewards||Up to 5% back at Macy's with Gold status, 3% back at restaurants, 2% at gas stations and supermarkets and 1% back on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||25.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
One of the card’s big benefits is it gives you immediate Silver status in Macy’s Star Rewards program. This gives you a 2% rewards rate on Macy’s purchases, while you’d get only 1% as an entry-level Bronze member. As you spend more at Macy’s, you can reach Gold and Platinum statuses — which offer 3% and 5% back, respectively.
- 3% back at restaurants. This is a strong rate you won’t find with most no-annual-fee credit cards.
- 2% back at gas stations and supermarkets. This is a solid rate, though you might get more out of cards like the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express and the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card.
- 1% back on all other purchases. This is a standard base rewards rate. Consider avoiding this earning tier, as you’ll earn more with flat-rate cashback cards like the Citi® Double Cash Card.
When you submit your application, you’ll be considered for both this card and the Macy’s Credit Card. The latter can be used only at Macy’s, and it doesn’t pay rewards outside of the retailer. You’re more likely to get the Macy’s Credit Card if your credit history isn’t great, though you may be able to upgrade to the Amex version in the future.
The day you’re approved for the card and the day after, you’ll get a signup bonus of 20% off eligible Macy’s purchases. Note that you’ll only get the discount if you receive immediate approval. If Citibank — the issuing bank — needs to review your application further, you won’t qualify for the signup bonus.
Also, watch out for the card’s 25.24% variable purchase APR — a very high rate. Try paying off your purchases each month to avoid interest that’d otherwise eat into your hard-earned rewards.
How to apply for the Macy’s American Express Card
- Visit the Macy’s website.
- Click Apply now.
- Complete the application form with details like your name, contact information, Social Security number and financial information.
- Review your information and submit your application.
What credit score do I need?
If you want the Macy’s American Express Card, consider applying with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
If your score is lower than that, you may still be approved for the Macy’s Credit Card. Some users have reported getting approved with credit scores around 600. However, approval is never guaranteed regardless of your score.
Star Rewards tiers and benefits
Here’s how much you must spend to reach certain tiers in the Star Rewards program.
|Status||Required spend within a calendar year|
|Silver||$1 to $499.99|
|Gold||$500 to $1,199.99|
Benefits based on Star Rewards status
|5% rewards rate on Macy’s purchases|
|3% rewards rate on Macy’s purchases|
|2% rewards rate on Macy’s purchases|
|1% rewards rate on Macy’s purchases|
|Free standard shipping with no minimum|
|25% off any day with Star Passes|
|Perks and offers|
|Star Money Bonus Days|
Compare store credit cards
The Macy’s American Express Card offers solid rewards when you spend at its affiliated retailer. It also offers good rewards for everyday purchases outside of Macy’s. However, you’re not guaranteed to get the American Express version, and there are great cashback cards that may serve you better if you’re not a frequent Macy’s shopper.