MACU Youth Savings review
Designed for kids age and younger who live in select Utah counties.
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
The Mountain America Credit Union (MACU) Youth Savings account comes with a low $5 opening deposit, a free piggy bank with each new account and an optional ATM card for cash withdrawals. But it only earns 0.05% interest, which is less than other kids’ savings accounts, and membership requirements are strict. You must live in one of four counties in Utah, be related to a current member or work or volunteer for select organizations to qualify.
$5 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
The MACU Youth Savings account is best for kids up to age 12 who live in select Utah counties and are ready to learn the value of money by making deposits and withdrawals. They’ll get a real piggy bank when they open an account in person, plus an optional ATM card. When they turn 13, the account will automatically convert to a Teen Savings account, where they’ll keep enjoying the same perks.
The biggest downside — aside from the strict membership requirements — is the 0.05% APY. It’s higher than the national average, but it’s nowhere near other popular kids savings accounts. For reference, Capital One Kids Savings Account earns 0.3% and Alliant Kids Savings Account earns 0.55%.
How do I open a MACU Youth Savings account?
Open a MACU Youth Savings account over the phone, at a local branch or online using these steps.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Hover over the Account tab and select Youth Savingbs.
- Select Open your account.
- Enter your email address and select Get Started.
- Select your membership status and follow the prompts to join if you’re not a current member.
- Select Child Savings from the account list and select Continue.
- Enter personal information for you and your child.
- Follow the prompts to complete your application.
Open an account for your child when you meet these requirements.
- Legal US resident
- At least 18 years old
- Your child must be at least 12 years old or younger
- Social Security number
- $5 opening deposit
- Active MACU membership
You’ll need this information when you sign up.
- Personal contact information
- Social Security number
- Government-issued photo ID number
- Personal identification for your child, including a birth certificate, Social Security card or school photo ID
- Bank account information for your minimum deposit
What are the benefits of a MACU Youth Savings account?
Parents can link the MACU Youth Savings account to their primary account to monitor everything in one place. You’ll also enjoy these benefits.
- Low opening deposit. You only need $5 to open a Youth Savings account for your child. You’ll earn interest as long as you maintain a minimum $25 account balance.
- Free piggy bank. Take home a free piggy bank for your child when you open this account in person at a local branch.
- Optional ATM card. Most savings accounts don’t come with ATM access, but with MACU Youth Savings, you can request an optional card for you or your child.
- Converts to a teen savings account. Your child’s Youth Savings account will automatically convert to a MACU Teen Savings account once they turn 13. They can keep this account until age 25, when it converts to a Primary Savings account.
What should I look out for?
Here are a few downsides of the MACU Youth Savings account.
- Low interest rate. The current rate for a MACU Youth Savings account is 0.05%, which is lower than other kids’ savings accounts that earn around 0.2% to 0.55%.
- Potential service fee. You’ll need to keep at least $5 in the account at all times to avoid a $5 service charge.
- Membership requirements. You can join MACU if you live in Salt Lake, Duchesne, Wasatch or Uintah counties in Utah, are a family member of an existing member or are an employee or volunteer of a Select Employer Group.
If you want your kid to earn a higher interest rate on their money, compare these kids’ savings accounts to see if there’s a better fit for your needs.
Compare MACU Youth Savings with other savings accounts
Compare savings accounts by APY, minimum opening deposit and more to see how MACU Youth Savings account stacks up against the competition.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
There are several ways you can access money in your child’s MACU Youth Savings account.
- Direct deposit
- Check deposit through the mobile app
- Transfer from another MACU account
- Transfer from an external account
- At an ATM
- Transfer to another MACU account
- Transfer to an external account
What other savings options does MACU offer?
MACU has two other savings options for kids and teens, plus five accounts for adults.
- Teen Savings. You’ll earn 0.05% on your savings, which is lower than other teen savings accounts that pay around 0.3% or more.
- Primary Savings. Open with $5 and enjoy no monthly fees when you keep at least $5 in the account. Plus, earn interest when you keep a balance of $100 or more.
- Secondary Savings. Open multiple Primary Savings accounts for all your short-term goals. Secondary accounts don’t have any minimum deposit requirements to open or earn interest.
- Money Market. You can open an account with $0, but you’ll need to keep at least $2,500 in the account to earn interest. Rates range from 0.05% to 0.1%, depending on your balance. The best money market accounts earn rates around 0.6%.
- Youth CDs. Anyone up to age 27 can open a youth certificate — and unlike most CDs, you can add up to $10,000 a year until maturity.
- CDs. MACU CDs start out at 0.2% for a six-month term and go up to 0.7% for a five-year term. These rates are competitive with other high-yield CDs.
- Christmas Club. Get a jump start on the holidays by stashing away money every month in a Christmas Club account. You’ll earn 0.5% on your balance and get access to funds on November 1 — just in time for holiday shopping.
How to contact MACU about my savings account?
There are four ways to reach MACU customer service.
- By appointment. Schedule an appointment to meet with a representative in person.
- Phone. Call 800-748-4302 to reach its service center.
- Live chat. Contact the support team on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. MT.
- Contact form. Submit a message through the website.
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.