Mountain America Credit Union personal loans
Skip up to 2 payments a year with its extension program.
finder.com’s rating: 4 / 5.0
- Best for fast, flexible funding if you live in a qualifying Mountain State.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for a competitive rate or higher loan amounts.
Max. Loan Amount
Starting from 9.24%
Anna Serio is a trusted lending expert and certified Commercial Loan Officer who's published more than 1,000 articles on Finder to help Americans strengthen their financial literacy. A former editor of a newspaper in Beirut, Anna writes about personal, student, business and car loans. Today, digital publications like Business Insider, CNBC and the Simple Dollar feature her professional commentary, and she earned an Expert Contributor in Finance badge from review site Best Company in 2020.
Mountain America Credit Union (MACU) could be a good choice if you’re looking for a fast loan and want to borrow from a credit union. This lender can get you funding as soon as the same day you get approved. It also has a program that allows you to skip up to two repayments a year for a $25 fee.
The downside is that it doesn’t offer the most competitive starting rates. And like most regional credit unions, you can only qualify if you live in a handful of states around Utah.
Not sold on MACU? Compare your other personal loan options below.
First, am I eligible?
To qualify for a personal loan, you must live in Idaho, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada or Arizona. You also must meet one of the following criteria to qualify for Mountain America Credit Union membership:
- Live in an eligible Utah county. This includes Salt Lake County, Duchesne County and parts of Wasatch and Uintah counties.
- Family member of a current member. This includes parents, children, spouses (including surviving spouses), siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, stepparents, stepchildren, step-siblings and any adoptive relationships.
- Live in the same house as a current member. You don’t have to be a direct relative in this case.
- Work or volunteer for an eligible organization. You can search for your employer or volunteer organization on the Mountain America Credit Union website.
- Fast turnaround for a credit union
- Skip up to two payments every 12 months
- Coapplicants welcome
- Join after you get approved
- More competitive rates elsewhere
- Low maximum amount
- Limited product details online
- Only available in select Mountain States
Compare other personal loan providers
How do I apply?
You can apply online through the Mountain America website, over the phone by calling 800-748-4302 or by visiting a local branch.
Follow these steps to get started on the online application:
- Go to the Mountain America Credit Union website.
- Hover over Loans in the main menu, and then click Personal Loan.
- Click Apply today.
- Enter your email address and any promo code if you have one. Click Get Started.
- Answer questions about your membership and the loan you’re interested in. Click Continue.
- Fill in the required fields with your personal information. Click Continue.
- Enter information about your income and expenses. Click Continue.
- Review your application and the disclosures.
- Check the box to agree to let Mountain America Credit Union check your credit and select how often you’d like it to check your credit report. Click Save and Continue.
- If you’re applying with someone else, click Add Co-Applicant. Otherwise, leave any comments and click Submit.
What information do I need to apply?
You must have the following documents and information on hand before you fill out the application:
- Contact information
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license number
What happens after I apply?
After you apply, your application gets sent to Mountain America Credit Union’s underwriting team. A representative should get back to you within one to two business days with a decision. In the meantime, you can call 800-748-4302 — option 2 — with any questions or changes to your application.
If approved, you might be asked to submit documents verifying your income, such as recent pay stubs or bank statements. You could get your funds as soon as the same day you sign your loan documents.
How do repayments work with Mountain America Credit Union?
Repayments on your Mountain America Credit Union personal loan are due once a month until your loan term is up. Look at your loan documents to get the specifics on how much you owe and how long your repayments will last. You might want to ask if you can sign up for autopay so you don’t have to worry about making manual payments each month.
Think you might miss a payment? Consider signing up for the skip-a-pay extension program. This allows you to skip up to two payments a year by paying a $25 fee. Otherwise, it’ll hurt your credit and you’ll still have to pay a $15 late fee.
If you have any questions about your loan, reach out to customer service as soon as possible.
See how Mountain America stacks up to other lenders with our guide to personal loans.
Frequently asked questions
Short-term loan ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze short-term loan providers and similar services to help you weed out predatory lenders and find a company you can trust. We rate providers on a scale of one to five stars. Our ratings are based on factors that are most important to you, which include: loan amount, application process, fees, customer reviews and borrower experience.
Read the full methodology of how we rate short-term loan providers and similar services.