First, am I eligible?
Mountain America Credit Union (MACU) doesn’t list any hard eligibility requirements, though you need to be a member of the credit union or willing to become a member during the application process.
MACU membership is open to residents of Idaho, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada and Arizona who meet one of the following criteria:
- Volunteer or work for an eligible organization. You can find a list of qualifying organization on the MACU website.
- Live in the same house as a current member. They don’t even need to be a direct family member to qualify.
- Family member of a current member. This includes children, siblings, parents, spouses (including surviving spouses), stepparents, stepchildren, step-siblings, grandparents, grandchildren and any adoptive relationships.
- Live in an eligible Utah county. Qualifying counties include Salt Lake City, Duchesne and parts of Wasatch and Uintah counties.
What types of car loans does Mountain America Credit Union offer?
MACU offers both new and used auto loans to purchase a car from a dealership or private party, as well as the option to refinance your current car loan. Unlike other lenders out there, it doesn’t have any limits to how much or little you can borrow. It offers terms from three to six years with competitive fixed rates starting at 3.24% APR, which includes a 0.25% rate discount for signing up for autopay from your MyStyle checking account.
- Dealership and private-party auto loans
- No limit to how much — or little — you can borrow
- Mobile app to apply and make payments on the go
- Apply at your local dealership
- Option to skip up to two payments a year
- Not up front about eligibility requirements
- Limited to residents of five states
- No option to prequalify
- Only offers fixed rates
Compare your other car loan options
Updated February 24th, 2020
How do I apply?
You can apply for a MACU auto loan in person at your local branch, through its mobile app, at your local dealership or online.
Follow these steps to begin the online application:
- Go to the MACU website, hover over Loans in the main menu and select Auto.
- Click Apply online.
- Enter your email address and promo code, if applicable.
- Click Get Started.
- Enter information about the loan you’d like to borrow. Click Continue.
- Enter your personal information and details about the car you plan on purchasing — if available.
- Submit the application and wait to hear back about a decision.
What information do I need to apply?
Have the following details on hand to speed up the application process:
- Personal contact info
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license number
- VIN, mileage, accessories and other details about the car you’re purchasing — if available
How do repayments work?
Mountain America Credit Union’s auto loans come with monthly repayments over three to six years. Your loan contract should outline your due date, loan term and any late fees you may be on the hook for. You might want to sign up for autopay from your MyStyle checking account. It’s a win-win: You’ll get a 0.25% discount on your interest rate, plus you won’t have to worry about remembering to make a payment each month.
You also have the option of making manual payments online or through the MACU mobile app. You might even be able to pay over the phone or in person at your local branch — reach out to a customer service member to see if that’s an option.
If you’re struggling to make a payment, MACU’s skip-a-pay loan extension program allows you to skip up to two payments every 12 months by paying a $25 fee.
See how MACU stacks up to the competition with our guide to car loans.