Mountain America Credit Union auto loans review
Flexible financing with competitive rates — but only for residents of 5 states.
- Best for low rates and flexible repayments if you live in a qualifying Mountain State.
- Pick something else if you want to prequalify before filling out a full application.
Starting at 3.24%
Jennifer Gimbel has over five years of experience informing editorial strategy at one of Disney’s digital media brands. Now as loans editor at Finder, she strives to create engaging, transparent content to help readers find products to meet their financial goals. On the weekends, you can catch Jenn at the dog park with her pup Olive or exploring the streets of Brooklyn — iced coffee in hand.
Mountain America Credit Union’s (MACU) auto loans are ideal if you’re looking for low rates and flexible repayments. You can borrow as much or as little as you like with APRs starting at 3.24% with autopay. And it offers the option to skip up to two payments a year by paying a $25 fee.
But you’ll need to be a member of the credit union or willing to become a member to qualify. On top of this, membership is only open to residents of a few Mountain States who meet other eligibility criteria.
And unlike other car loan providers, MACU doesn’t offer the option to check what rates and terms you might qualify for before submitting a full application. This is compounded by the fact that it doesn’t list any hard-and-fast credit or income requirements on its website.
Not sure about MACU? Compare your other options below.
First, am I eligible?
Mountain America Credit Union (MACU) doesn’t list any hard eligibility requirements, though you need to be a member of the credit union or willing to become a member during the application process.
MACU membership is open to residents of Idaho, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada and Arizona who meet one of the following criteria:
- Volunteer or work for an eligible organization. You can find a list of qualifying organization on the MACU website.
- Live in the same house as a current member. They don’t even need to be a direct family member to qualify.
- Family member of a current member. This includes children, siblings, parents, spouses (including surviving spouses), stepparents, stepchildren, step-siblings, grandparents, grandchildren and any adoptive relationships.
- Live in an eligible Utah county. Qualifying counties include Salt Lake City, Duchesne and parts of Wasatch and Uintah counties.
What types of car loans does Mountain America Credit Union offer?
MACU offers both new and used auto loans to purchase a car from a dealership or private party, as well as the option to refinance your current car loan. Unlike other lenders out there, it doesn’t have any limits to how much or little you can borrow. It offers terms from three to six years with competitive fixed rates starting at 3.24% APR, which includes a 0.25% rate discount for signing up for autopay from your MyStyle checking account.
- Dealership and private-party auto loans
- No limit to how much — or little — you can borrow
- Mobile app to apply and make payments on the go
- Apply at your local dealership
- Option to skip up to two payments a year
- Not up front about eligibility requirements
- Limited to residents of five states
- No option to prequalify
- Only offers fixed rates
Compare your other car loan options
Mountain America Credit Union reviews and complaints
|BBB customer reviews||1 out of 5 stars, based on 5 customer reviews|
|Trustpilot Score||3.1 out of 5 stars, based on 3 customer reviews|
|App Store Score||4.7 out of 5 stars, based on 18,207 customer reviews|
|Google Play Score||4.7 out of 5 stars, based on 8,829 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||19 October 2020|
Not much is available in the way of customer reviews online when it comes to MACU. It’s accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and receives an A+ rating from the company. But its BBB profile doesn’t have any customer reviews or complaints as of October 2020.
As for its Trustpilot profile, there’s not much more there. Three reviews leave it with a rating of 3.1 out of 5 stars, but no hard information about what it’s like working with MACU. And none of the three reviews mention its auto loan product at all.
How do I apply?
Follow these steps to begin the online application:
- Go to the MACU website, hover over Loans in the main menu and select Auto.
- Click Apply online.
- Enter your email address and promo code, if applicable.
- Click Get Started.
- Enter information about the loan you’d like to borrow. Click Continue.
- Enter your personal information and details about the car you plan on purchasing — if available.
- Submit the application and wait to hear back about a decision.
What information do I need to apply?
Have the following details on hand to speed up the application process:
- Personal contact info
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license number
- VIN, mileage, accessories and other details about the car you’re purchasing — if available
How do repayments work?
Mountain America Credit Union’s auto loans come with monthly repayments over three to six years. Your loan contract should outline your due date, loan term and any late fees you may be on the hook for. You might want to sign up for autopay from your MyStyle checking account. It’s a win-win: You’ll get a 0.25% discount on your interest rate, plus you won’t have to worry about remembering to make a payment each month.
You also have the option of making manual payments online or through the MACU mobile app. You might even be able to pay over the phone or in person at your local branch — reach out to a customer service member to see if that’s an option.
If you’re struggling to make a payment, MACU’s skip-a-pay loan extension program allows you to skip up to two payments every 12 months by paying a $25 fee.
See how MACU stacks up to the competition with our guide to car loans.