Lycamobile prepaid mobile plans review
Prepaid wireless plans designed for the international caller.
Lycamobile is advertised as a prepaid wireless provider that helps you “call the world for less.” It’s carved an interesting niche in the prepaid wireless industry with unlimited low-cost, high-quality international calling to a limited number of unique phone numbers in specific countries.
What is Lycamobile?
Lycamobile is a provider of preloaded SIM cards to customers who are already using a cell phone or smartphone on the network. Lycamobile’s strong focus on international calling options depends on parts of Telstra’s 4G networks.
What services does Lycamobile offer?
Lycamobile offers low-cost prepaid plans with unlimited talk, text and data from $23 a month. A cheaper plan limits your data but at a bargain price of $19 a month. Data add-ons are available postactivation.
- $19 a month — unlimited 1,000MB of data at up to 4G LTE and Unlimited International Talk and Text to 75+ countries, Bonus International Minutes
- $23 a month — unlimited data with 2GB at up to 4G LTE, Unlimited International Talk & Text to 75+ Countries and $1.50 Bonus International Credit
- $29 a month — unlimited data with 6GB at up to 4G LTE, UnlimitedInternational Talk & Text to 75+ Countries, $2.50 Bonus International Credit and bonus international minutes
- $35 a month — unlimited data with 7GB at up to 4G LTE and Unlimited International Talk & Text to 75+ Countries
- $39 a month — unlimited data with 15GB at up to 4G LTE, Unlimited International Talk & text to 75+ Countries, $10 bonus Bonus International Credit
- $45 a month — unlimited data with 10GB at up to 4G LTE and Unlimited International Talk & Text to 75+ Countries
- $50 a month — unlimited data up to 4G LTE, Unlimited International Talk & Text to 75+ Countries
How do I sign up for Lycamobile?
Buy a Lycamobile plan online or at a participating retailer in your area.
Pros and cons
- No contract. Pay as you go through prepaid SIM cards.
- International calling. If you’re area is included in Lycamobile’s coverage, you’ll have unlimited calls worldwide.
- My Lycamobile. Online access to your plan can be handy.
- Limited coverage. Using “parts” of Telstra’s network means a smaller coverage area and slightly slower data speeds.
- 28-day vs. 30-day service. “Monthly” plans run for 28 days, which means an increased overall cost for services over the course of a year.
Are there any other features I should know about?
Lycamobile offers a few features in addition plan pricing and international calling.
- Free calling Lyca to Lyca. Call other Lycamobile users across Europe, the US and Australia at no charge.
- Refer a friend. Get a $5 credit toward your next payment for each successful referral.
- Online recharge. Easily recharge your service online at any time.
- Online discount. You could score 20% or more off services purchased online with one of many promo codes out there.
- My Lycamobile. Monitor texts and calls online.
What to watch out for
If these international calling privileges sound a little too good to be true, you could be right.
- Limited coverage. Lycamobile uses “parts” of the Telstra network — meaning a smaller coverage map and slower data speeds. Check online for your area before signing up.
- 28-day plan expiration. Most other wireless providers consider a month 30 days. Not Lycamobile: Its 28-day plans increase the cost of services over the course of a year. Consider this when comparing your options.
Compare cell phone plan providers
Lycamobile appears to be a refreshing contender in the world of no-contract, prepaid wireless providers. Then there’s its international calling options. If you’re in the market for a way to keep in touch no matter where in the world you are, Lycamobile is a carrier to consider.