LightStream swimming pool loan review
If you're looking to add a pool to your home, this loan could be the solution to your financing needs.
With LightStream’s pool loan, you can eliminate the difficulty of finding financing and get to planning your new pool. And its low fixed APR and lack of fees can offer savings over other pool loans. But your funds can only be used for a pool, and you’ll need a credit card to qualify.
How does a personal loan through LightStream work?
Obtaining financing for your new swimming pool through LightStream is a simple online process. The loan can offer significant savings with a low APR and no fees. It can even be used to repair or update an existing pool. But not everyone qualifies. LightStream requires good to excellent credit. Loan amounts range from $5,000 to $100,000,
If you're approved, you must transfer the funds to your bank account within 30 days. After 30 days, you will need to reapply.
What will a LightStream swimming pool loan cost me?
Let's take a look at the details of the interest rate:
- The interest rate is fixed. It will not change over the lifetime of the loan.
- Interest accrues daily based on the unpaid principal balance. Your payment will first be applied to interest, with the remainder going toward principal.
- You'll save with AutoPay. If you choose to receive an invoice, your rate will be 0.50% higher.
Interest rates are based a combination of loan amount, loan purpose and length of the loan. Your exact interest rate is based on your credit profile and ability to repay the loan.
What are the benefits of a LightStream swimming pool loan?
- Uncomplicated process. You can apply online and receive approval without having to leave the comfort of your home.
- Competitive fixed rates. LightStream's loan also comes with its Rate Beat Program. This means LightStream will beat a lower APR from another lender by 0.10%.
- No collateral required. You won't have to put up any collateral to finance your swimming pool through LightStream.
- Rate beat program. Your loan is backed by LightStream's Rate Beat Program, which promises to beat another lender's APR by 0.10%.
- Complaints taken seriously. LightStream is so sure you'll be satisfied with the loan process, it comes with a guarantee: after initiating a complaint and completing a questionnaire, you could receive $100.†
What to watch out for
- Interest rates vary. If you choose to pay by invoice, your interest rate will be 0.50% higher*. Use AutoPay to avoid the higher rate.
- Credit card required. You must have a valid credit card. This is for verification purposes only, and no charges are applied.
- Specific loan purpose. You must use your loan funds for a swimming pool. Other uses, especially for business or secondary education, will violate your loan contract.
Compare more providers similar to LightStream
How to apply for a LightStream swimming pool loan
Applying for a home improvement loan through LightStream is a simple online process that takes about 10 minutes. You will receive a response quickly if you apply during business hours.
To apply, you’ll be asked for your:
- Personal info — your full name, home address, contact info, Social Security number, date of birth and driver’s license number, among other general information.
- Income and employment — work status, annual income and sources, liquid assets and retirement assets.
- Property info — total monthly housing costs, estimated equity in home, address, occupancy type and property type.
- Security info for account setup — user ID, password and security question and answer.
If approved, simply e-sign your documents, set up payment information and set up your loan for funding. You can even receive your funds that same day, if you meet certain requirements§.
What happens after I get the loan?
You can receive your funds the same day if you apply during a banking business day. If your application is approved, you must then complete the following steps by 2:30 p.m. EST:
- Review and electronically sign the loan agreement.
- Provide LightStream with your banking information and funding preferences.
- Complete the final verification process.
Before you start looking for contractors to build your new pool, understand how to make payments on your loan and take advantage of its features.
- AutoPay is automatically withdrawn from your bank account each month. Once you’ve set up this feature, you're good to go. Selecting autopay results in a lower APR.
- Invoice payments must be returned by mail. You cannot make payments at or through a SunTrust Bank branch. Invoice payments result in a higher APR, so set up autopay to avoid a higher interest rate.
Applying for a LightStream loan is a simple process for applicants with good to excellent credit. If your credit history enables you to qualify, this loan is a great option to finance your new pool. However, if you don't qualify or want to use your loan funds for more than just financing a swimming pool, you should compare your other personal loan options before making a final decision.
Frequently asked questions
Are there any prepayment penalties?
No. LightStream doesn't charge a pentalty or fee if you choose to pay off your loan early.
Is LightStream affiliated with SunTrust?
Technically, yes. LightStream is the online consumer lending division of SunTrust Bank.
Do I need to be an existing SunTrust customer to qualify for a LightStream loan?
No. LightStream serves customers across the United States.
How long will it take before I get an answer to my application?
Applicants typically receive an answer quickly during business hours. If additional information is required, a LightStream representative will follow up through email. The timing of LightStream’s response depends how quickly you provide the requested information.
*Payment example: Monthly payments for a $25,000 loan at 6.89% APR with a term of 12 years would result in 144 monthly payments of $255.63.
† After receiving your loan from LightStream, if you are not completely satisfied with your experience, please contact them. They will email you a questionnaire so they can improve their services. When they receive your completed questionnaire, they will send you $100. LightStream’s guarantee expires 30 days after you receive your loan.
LightStream reserves the right to change or discontinue their guarantee at any time. Limited to one $100 payment per funded loan. LightStream and Truist teammates do not qualify for the Loan Experience Guarantee.
§ You can fund your loan today if today is a banking business day, your application is approved, and you complete the following steps by 2:30 p.m. Eastern time: (1) review and electronically sign your loan agreement; (2) provide us with your funding preferences and relevant banking information; and (3) complete the final verification process.
With LightStream's pool loan, you can eliminate the difficulty of finding financing and get to planning your new pool. And its low fixed APR and lack of fees can offer savings over other pool loans. But your funds can only be used for a pool, and you'll need a credit card to qualify.