An adoption loan with no fees for soon-to-be-parents with good to excellent credit.
Known for: LightStream believes that consumers with good credit deserve a simple loan process with a low APR and no fees.
|Product Name||LightStream Adoption Loans|
|Interest Rate (p.a.)||From 0% (variable)|
|Comparison Rate (p.a.)|
|Interest Rate Type||Variable|
|Minimum Loan Term||24 months|
|Maximum Loan Term||84 months|
|Min Loan Amount||$5,000|
|Max. Loan Amount||$100,000|
- Finance the entire adoption process.
- Uncomplicated process.
- Fixed rates as low as 5.99% APR with autopay.
- If you choose to pay by invoice, your interest rate will be 0.50% higher.
Adoption is a wonderful option for many families and individuals. It is an exciting time filled with anticipation. But it can also be overwhelming, with many decisions to be made and procedures to follow. Will you adopt domestically or internationally? And what about the expenses associated with adopting? If you choose to finance the adoption, the process of securing a loan can be stressful and costly. But LightStream’s adoption loan, you can focus on the joy of adding a new family member, and not the stress of obtaining financing. The loan covers all aspects of the adoption process with no fees and a low fixed APR.
Applying for your adoption expenses through LightStream is a simple online process. In addition to simplicity, the loan offers significant savings with a low APR and no fees. All costs associated with adoption are covered under this loan. However, a LightStream loan does require good to excellent credit.
Loan amounts range from $5,000 to $100,000, with a maximum loan term of 84 months (7 years). Once approved, you must transfer the funds to your bank account within 30 days. After 30 days, you will need to reapply. Also, you must use the funds of the loan for the purpose stated on your application.
Let’s look at the interest rate:
- The interest rate is fixed. It will not change over the lifetime of the loan.
- Interest accrues daily, based on the unpaid principal balance. Your payment will first be applied to interest, with the remainder going toward principal.
- Rates are 0% p.a. with autopay. Your credit history determines the rate.
- You’ll save with autopay. If you choose to receive an invoice, your rate will be 0.50% higher.
Interest rates are based a combination of loan amount and length of the loan. Your exact interest rate is based on your creditworthiness. The lowest rates offered by LightStream require excellent credit.
What are the benefits of a LightStream adoption loan?
- Finance the entire adoption process. All adoption expenses are covered with LightStream’s loan.
- Uncomplicated process. It’s easy to apply and completely online.
- Fixed rates as low as 5.99% APR with autopay. LightStream’s loan comes with its Rate Beat Program, whereby it will beat a lower APR from another lender by 0.10 percentage points.
- No fees. Even if you’re late on a payment.
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
What to watch out for
LightStream’s loan has few faults. Most complaints are due to not being approved, but this is a great loan if you have good to excellent credit. LightStream is so sure you’ll be satisfied with the loan process, it comes with a guarantee: after initiating a complaint and completing a questionnaire, you could receive $100. The loan is also backed by LightStream’s Rate Beat Program, which promises to beat another lender’s APR by 0.10 percentage points. (Conditions apply.)
Be aware of the following:
- If you choose to pay by invoice, your interest rate will be 0.50% higher. Select autopay on loan acceptance to avoid the higher rate.
- You must have a valid Visa or MasterCard credit card. This is for verification purposes only, and no charges are applied.
- You must use loan proceeds for the purpose stated on your application.
Am I even eligible?
Qualifying for a LightStream requires good to excellent credit, and you must have sufficient income to repay any existing debt in addition to the loan.
LightStream considers good credit to be:
- Several years of credit history.
- Credit history with a variety of account types.
- Good payment history.
- Evidence of the ability to save.
What documents do I need to apply?
LightStream doesn’t always require documentation. If an applicant’s financial situation needs clarification, LightStream may follow up by email for:
- Pay stubs
- Bank statements
- Tax returns
- 401(k) statements
How to apply for a LightStream adoption loan
Applying for a home improvement loan through LightStream is a simple online process that takes about 10 minutes. You’ll learn if you are approved quickly during business hours.
To apply, you’ll be asked for your:
- Personal info — your full name, home address, contact info, Social Security number, date of birth and driver’s license number, among other general information.
- Income and employment — work status, annual income and sources, liquid assets and retirement assets.
- Property info — total monthly housing costs, estimated equity in home, address, occupancy type and property type.
- Security info for account setup — user ID, password and security question and answer.
If approved, simply e-sign your documents and set up your loan for funding. You can even receive your funds that same day, if you meet certain requirements.
I got the loan! Now what?
You’ve successfully qualified for a loan that requires great credit. But before you begin preparing for your new family member, understand how to make payments on your loan and take advantage of its features.
When you applied for your loan, you opted for either autopay or invoice:
- Autopay is automatically withdrawn from your bank account each month. Once you’ve set up this feature, you’re good to go. Selecting autopay results in a lower APR.
- Invoice payments must be returned by mail. You cannot make payments at or through a SunTrust Bank branch. Invoice payments result in a higher APR, so set up autopay to avoid a higher interest rate.
You can receive your funds the same day if you apply during a banking business day. If your application is approved, you must then complete the following steps by 2:30 p.m. EST:
- Review and electronically sign the loan agreement.
- Provide LightStream with your banking information.
- Complete the final verification process.
LightStream adoption loan summary
Applying for a LightStream loan is a simple process that results in savings for applicants with good to excellent credit. If your credit history enables you to qualify, this loan is a great option to finance the adoption of your new family member.
Are there prepay penalties?
No, you will not incur penalties or fees for paying off your loan early.
Is LightStream affiliated with SunTrust Bank?
Yes, LightStream is the online lending division of SunTrust Bank.
Do I need to be an existing SunTrust customer to qualify for a LightStream loan?
No, LightStream serves customers across the United States.
What if I make a late payment or have insufficient funds in my bank account?
There are absolutely no fees. If a customer falls behind on payments, LightStream can work out several remedies with the individual customer.
How long will it take before I get an answer to my application?
Applicants typically receive an answer quickly during business hours. If additional information is required, a LightStream representative will follow up through email. The timing of LightStream’s response depends how quickly you provide the requested information.