Haven Life insurance review 2023
Backed by MassMutual and C.M. Life, this online life insurance company issues term life coverage in minutes.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want immediate online coverage.
- Pick something else if you want whole life or customizable policies with riders.
20 to 64
$250,000 to $3,000,000
No exams for some applicants
Medical Exam Required
10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 years available to those aged 20 - 49 years old.
10, 15, or 20 years available to those aged 50 - 64 years old.
|Medical exam required||No exams for some applicants|
|Available states||All 50 states|
|Issue age||20 - 64 years old|
- Simple application
- Financially sound
- Fast approval
- Limited options
- Strict underwriting
- Online application only
Katia Iervasi is a lead writer and spokesperson at NerdWallet and a former editor at Finder, specializing in insurance. Her writing and analysis on life, disability and health insurance has been featured in The Washington Post, Forbes, Yahoo, Entrepreneur, Best Company and FT Advisor. She holds a BA in communication from Australia's Griffith University.
If you’re in the market for term life insurance, Haven Life offers flexible, affordable policies online — and issues coverage within minutes for most applicants. The insurer also has a selection of riders, which is rare for insurtech companies that operate fully online, and has an excellent reputation for customer service.
However, it has strict underwriting guidelines that may prevent those with pre-existing health conditions from getting cheap rates. To explore other options — including permanent policies — compare life insurance companies.
Haven Life insurance rates
We pulled 2021 sample quotes from Haven Life insurance online quote tool to get estimated monthly premiums for a $500,000, 20-year term life policy for a man and woman in great health. Haven Life’s rates trend on the cheaper side compared to the average cost of a policy of this size and length.
People over 50 aren’t eligible for a 20-year term
During Haven Life’s quote process we found that 20-year terms aren’t available for people over 50 years old. Most competitors allow people to select a 20-year term until at least 60 years old. So, if you’re over 50 and need a policy of this length, you’ll have to shop around.
What affects my rate with Haven Life insurance?
Regardless of your Haven Life insurance quote, living a healthy lifestyle is the best way to get the lowest insurance rates. And best rates typically go to those who fall within a few health and history markers:
- Blood pressure. Your blood pressure should be between 90/60 and 130/85 to get the best rates from Haven Life.
- Cholesterol. Life insurance providers measure your ratio of good to bad cholesterol and sometimes your overall cholesterol level when determining your rate. While Haven Life isn’t clear about its requirements, an overall level of 200 and an HDL ratio of 3.5 are good targets.
- Family history. Family history may affect your risk level as an applicant, so you can get the best rates at Haven Life if none of your family has died from heart disease, vascular disease or cancer before age 65.
- Tobacco. Tobacco and nicotine use greatly affect your overall health and life expectancy, so you’ll be excluded from the “Excellent” health class if you’ve smoked in the past five years.
- Driving record. Generally speaking, insurance providers expect a clean driving record for the best rates without any major violations or DUIs. While Haven Life doesn’t mention its requirements, you generally have a better chance of lower rates with three or fewer violations in the past three years.
How to get a quote from Haven Life insurance
You can get a quote and sign up for a policy on the insurer’s website.
- On the homepage, select Apply Now, and then Let’s begin.
- Answer basic questions about yourself and select the amount of coverage and term length you need. Then, choose Calculate.
- You’ll be presented with an estimate of your monthly rate. If you’re happy with the price and you’d like to apply, hit Continue.
- You’ll then need to create an account by entering your email address and choosing a password. Once you have an account, you can proceed to the application.
- The application requires answering an extensive list of questions about your health, medical history, lifestyle and occupation.
- Verify your email address and select Get my decision.
- Most applicants get an instant decision. If you need help at any time during the sign up process, you can use the live chat feature to communicate with a representative.
- If you’re approved, set up monthly auto-pay so you don’t miss a premium payment.
What info do I need to apply for Haven Life insurance?
As part of the application, you’ll need to provide:
- Your contact info
- Your Social Security number
- Details about your income
- Any risky behaviors or hobbies
- Your family and personal medical history
- Your beneficiaries
- Information about how you’ll be paying your premiums
What types of life insurance coverage does Haven Life offer?
This company offers term life insurance only. It’s available in 10-, 15-, 20-, 30- and 35-year terms with coverage up to $3 million.
Policies are available for people 20 to 64 years old, though age limits for which term and coverage maximum you can select apply. Most applicants don’t need to take a medical exam, but Haven Life will let you know if they need further information during the application process.
(If term life insurance isn’t the right fit for you, the insurer’s parent company, MassMutual, has a much wider selection of products.)
What riders can I add to my Haven Life insurance policy?
Customize your coverage with a range of add-ons, including:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. If you’re diagnosed with a terminal medical condition, you can access up to 75% of your death benefit before you die.
- Disability income benefit rider. This rider pays out an additional benefit if you become disabled.
- Long-term care rider. This rider allows you to pull money from your death benefit to pay for care expenses if you’re diagnosed as chronically ill.
- Return-of-premium rider. This add-on reimburses a portion of your premiums if you outlive the term of your policy.
Haven Life insurance reviews and complaints
Haven Life has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2016, and holds an A+ rating for its customer interaction. Customers award the insurer 1 out of 5 stars, though this is only based on a handful of reviews. The BBB has recorded two complaints in the last three years, which is low for an insurance company and points to good customer service.
On TrustPilot, Haven Life has 4.7 out of 5 stars based on nearly 1,000 reviews. Most TrustPilot reviews praise the easy online application and approval process as well as the level of customer support they received.
There are currently no NAIC complaints with Haven Life in the consumer complaint database as of April 2021.
|AM Best financial rating||
1/5 out of 3 customer reviews
|Trustpilot score||4.8/5 out of 948 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||05 August 2021|
Get free quotes from online life insurance companies like Haven Life
Frequently asked questions about Haven Life insurance
How do I purchase my Haven Life policy in person or by phone?
Haven Life is a fully online insurer. If you have questions, you can live chat with customer support or call 855-744-2836.
How do I file a life insurance claim with Haven Life?
You can only file a claim over the phone. These are the steps:
- Call Haven Life claims support at 855-744-2836.
- Answer questions about the policyholder’s death and your relationship. Be prepared with the policyholder’s Social Security number, date of birth and insurance policy number.
- The Haven Life agent will file the claim and reach out again to get the death certificate.
- Wait for the claims department to contact you with more info. The typical processing time is 10 days.
How do I convert my Haven Life term policy to a permanent policy?
Haven Life’s term life insurance policies don’t have a conversion feature — but you may be able to renew your current policy when it expires.
What’s the Haven Life Plus rider?
Marketed as a rider, the Haven Life Plus rider is actually not a rider at all and is instead a free, optional discount program for policyholders through Haven’s partners. It’s not available in all states.
You get discounted or free services at a few specific merchants, including online wills, fitness and sleep apps and clinics. The 2020 list of partners includes:
- Aaptiv — work out with a community of members.
- Timeshifter — combat the effects of jet lag.
- Trust & Will — create online wills.
- LifeSite — securely store electronic documents.
- MinuteClinic — see a medical professional at select CVS and Target stores.
How does Haven Life protect my data?
Haven Life collects your personal information in order to respond to your questions and requests for services, verify your identity, tailor content and offers, and provide you with certain services. Haven Life doesn’t share your info with unaffiliated third parties without your consent.
Your data is kept safe with physical and electronic and safeguards. Haven Life even contractually requires service providers to protect your data and use it exclusively for the purpose of performing certain business functions on their behalf.
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.