Aflac life insurance review 2023
One of the largest insurance companies in the industry with guaranteed issue policy options.
finder.com's rating: 3 / 5
- Get a quote if… You want to buy juvenile coverage.
- Choose a different provider if… You want more than $500,000 in coverage.
18 to 70
$20,000 to $500,000
Medical Exam Required
|Policies||Term, Whole, Juvenile|
|Term lengths||10, 20, 30 years|
|Medical exam required||No|
|Available states||AL, AR, AZ, CO, CT, DC, GA, HI, IA, IN, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, NE, NM, NV, OK, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, WI, WV, WY|
- Term and whole life options
- Guaranteed issue option
- $500,000 benefit maximum
- No online quotes
No info available
Amy Stoltenberg manages newsletters at Finder, gathering the best articles each week to help subscribers save money and stretch their hard-earned dollars. She also handles the Twitter account, dabbling in Instagram and Facebook too. When she's not on the computer, you can find her exploring Los Angeles with a good book in tow. She studied writing at Savannah College of Art and Design and has been featured on the Zoe Report.
Backed by financial strength, Aflac is a solid choice for life insurance. You might even qualify for a guaranteed issue policy that allows you to skip the medical questionnaire, depending on where you live and how much coverage you choose.
However, the coverage is limited to $500,000 and you won’t be able to get a sample quote online. If you have complex life insurance needs, this may leave your family underinsured.
What affects my rate with Aflac?
Aflac’s life insurance cost depends on how much coverage you want to buy. The amount you need depends on several different factors, including:
- Annual income
- Age you want to retire
- Amount you want to save for college funds
- Retirement fund
- Level of life insurance
- Expected end-of-life costs
How to get a quote from Aflac life insurance
If the company you work for offers Aflac coverage, you can add it through your workplace. But if you want to buy it independently — or you own a business and want to offer it to employees — you’ll need to start by requesting a quote:
- Go to Aflac’s website and hit Get a Quote.
- Indicate whether you’re An Individual or A Business Owner.
- Aflac will ask for your contact information, including your name, phone number, ZIP code and email. Then select NEXT.
- The next page, Call Time, will give you an estimate for when an agent will be in touch. Choose SUBMIT to give them the green light.
- After you submit your contact information, an Aflac agent will be in touch regarding next steps.
- For whole or term insurance, if you’ve purchased coverage through your employer, you’ll be directed to your employer to ask about what’s available.
- If you purchased coverage independently or are looking for juvenile insurance, an agent can walk you through your options.
What types of life insurance coverage does Aflac offer?
Types of life insurance you can typically choose from Aflac include:
- Term. The policy is set in place for a specific amount of time and premiums tend to be cheaper.
- Whole. Lasts for the rest of your life and rates are locked in.
- Juvenile. Guarantees your child’s insurability as an adult, regardless of future medical circumstances. Can be selected as term or whole life.
What riders can I add to my policy?
The types and features of policies vary widely by state, and unfortunately you’ll have to contact Aflac to get any info on which options you could qualify for. Aflac may offer these riders as optional add-ons for some policies:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. This rider pays out a portion of your death benefit if you’re diagnosed with a terminal illness.
- Accidental death benefit rider. The beneficiary receives an additional benefit if the policy owner dies from something accidental, such as a car crash.
- Spouse or child rider. Get additional coverage for your spouse or children. Your spouse is eligible for a death benefit of up to 50% of your death benefit, and your child can get coverage up to $10,000 with a term rider.
- Waiver-of-premium rider. Waives the entire premium amount if the policyholder is totally disabled due to an injury or disease for four consecutive months and throughout the duration of the disability. It also waives benefits due to loss of sight or limbs.
Aflac life insurance reviews and complaints
Aflac as a company isn’t rated by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) or Trustpilot. Overall, its reputation with consumers appears to be positive, and it’s known for paying out customers quickly.
While there are case-specific complaints regarding its health insurance coverage, it has a solid industry reputation when it comes to life insurance.
|AM Best financial rating||
1.11/5 out of 120 customer reviews
|Trustpilot score||2.1/5 out of 7 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||28 October 2021|
Compare life insurance companies like Aflac
How do I file a claim?
Follow these steps to file your life insurance claim:
- Find the appropriate claim forms on the File a claim page from Aflac’s home page.
- Download the forms.
- Fill them out.
- Send forms in to: PO Box 60676, Worcester, MA 01606.
Frequently asked questions
How does Aflac protect my data?
Aflac keeps your information located on servers in the US and uses firewalls, data encryption and access controls for protection. Your personal data is encoded so only Aflac can read your data. Aflac recommends only sharing personal information through your personal account using its safeguarded site.
Who is eligible to buy Aflac insurance?
To apply for insurance through Aflac, you’ll have to be at least age 18. Also, product availability varies by state, so check with your local agent to see which products and plan details are available to you.
What other policies does Aflac offer?
Aflac offers other supplemental and stand-alone policies, such as accident, dental, vision, cancer, critical illness, hospital and short-term disability.
How do I keep my coverage if I bought it through my employer?
If you terminate your employment, you can still keep your policy, though premiums won’t be automatically deducted from your payroll anymore. Instead, choose between automatic monthly payments from your bank account, or quarterly, semiannual or annual direct billing.
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.