Liberty Tax online software review
Make getting through tax season a breeze with online software by Liberty Tax.
You’ve made it through the chaos of the holidays, but sneaking around the corner is something that may beat out Uncle Mark’s awful stories for most-stressful annual tradition. Tax season. Liberty Tax can help ease the anxiety around paying your taxes by offering simple, online software and the ability to get in-person help.
Federal returns starting price
State returns starting price
Rhys Subitch is a former writer and editor at Finder who tackled topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing, and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university, and several independent publications, Rhys brought readers the most up-to-date and curated information on all things finance.
Expert reviewLiberty Tax gives taxpayers the option to file online or in person at one of 4,000+ locations. Each plan comes with daily live chat support and the option to import old returns from other tax filing services.
It may be an inexpensive option for business filers and those with complex returns, but simple filers and families may pay more to file with Liberty Tax than they would with competitors like TaxSlayer and FreeTaxUSA. Plus, some of its promotions only apply to those who file their taxes in-person.
How much does Liberty Tax cost?
With four separate tax-solution packages Liberty Tax has an option for filing Schedule B all the way to K-1. You can even import information for free from tax products with other companies if you’ve filed with them in the past.
|Plan and packages||Price||Best for||Features|
|Simple||$34.95 for federal$29.95 for state||Simple returns|
|Basic||$44.95 for federal$39.95 for state||Families|
|Deluxe||$44.95 for federal$34.95 for state||Investors|
|Premium||$44.95 for federal$34.95 for state||Small business owners|
How do I pay?
There are two ways to pay for Liberty Tax preparation fees:
- Debit or credit card
- Deducted from your refund
How do I get my tax refund?
There are three ways to claim your tax refund:
- Paper check
- Direct deposit
- Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard
How do I open a Liberty Tax account?
Signing up for and using the online software provided by Liberty Tax is simple, and free to start.
- Click Apply now.
- From the Liberty Tax website, select the “Start for free” button.
- Fill out your information as you’re prompted to, selecting “Next” when you’ve finished each section.
- Double check your work at the end to make sure you have entered everything in correctly.
- Submit your final forms and make any necessary payments.
Be sure to have any relevant documents on hand (like your W-2 forms) to make the process go faster.
Taxpayers may enjoy these perks from Liberty Tax:
- Multiple ways to file. Save time by filing your taxes online or visit one of Liberty Tax‘s more than 4,000 offices to file in-person.
- Robust customer support. Live chat and tech support is available online through the Liberty Tax website. You can also go into a local office and get help from a tax expert.
- Import information from competitors. If you filed taxes with a different preparation service in the past, Liberty Tax allows you to transfer that information over so you’re not stuck filling out fields you’ve already finished.
- Inexpensive business plans. Business owners pay $79.90 total to file a federal and state return with Liberty Tax’s Premium Plan, which is inexpensive compared to H&R Block, which costs $121.98 total, and TurboTax, which costs $130 total.
Must read: Free Double-Checking
At one of Liberty Tax‘s 4,000+ locations, you can walk in and have their tax experts double-check your online tax return for free. It doesn’t matter if you prepared it using their software or a competitor’s — they’ll double-check your work regardless.
Before you file with Liberty Tax, consider these potential drawbacks:
- No free plans. Families, investors and those with simple returns may be able to file for cheaper with TaxSlayer or FreeTaxUSA.
- Cash-in-a-flash restrictions. You don’t qualify for this instant $50 promotion if you file online and it’s not offered at every Liberty Tax store.
- You may need a higher tier. In the event that you’ve sold your house, there may be a jump in the package you need. Go over everything that’s included in each solution to ensure you’re getting everything you need to successfully file your taxes.
If you want a filing tax service that isn’t as costly, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, explore your options when considering an online tax filing service.
Liberty Tax reviews and complaints
Liberty Tax Service is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has a 1 out of 5-star rating based on 12 customer reviews. Of those reviews, many complain about its in-person filing services. Multiple people say their returns had mistakes that resulted in IRS penalties and fines. Others complain about expensive filing fees.Liberty Tax has been assisting Americans with their tax needs for the past 20 years. With over 4,000 offices in the United States and Canada and headquarters in Virginia Beach, Virginia, Liberty Tax has well-established itself. Over the years Liberty Tax has become known for both personal and business income tax preparation.
Compare services to file taxes online
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Liberty Tax customer supportLiberty Tax customer support representatives are available daily from 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. ET from January to April 20 and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET from April 21 through December. There are eight ways to get in touch:
- Email email@example.com
- Start a live chat on its website
- Fill out the contact form on its website
- Visit a Liberty Tax office near you
- Send a Facebook message to @libertytax
- Tweet @libertytax
- Send an Instagram message to @libertytax
- Mail your questions or concerns to:
Liberty Tax Service
1716 Corporate Landing Parkway
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454