Liberty Mutual commercial car insurance review
This major insurer makes safety a priority by offering driver training and monitoring.
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
When it comes to insuring, businesses vehicles are a different animal. Liberty Mutual’s commercial car insurance policies are designed to protect you, your employees and your fleet. A powerhouse in the industry, the insurer helps to reduce your risk behind the wheel with its driver safety training and monitoring programs for businesses. However, you’ll have to pick up the phone to file a claim, and there’s no lifetime repair guarantee.
Yes, cars under 1 year old & 15,000 miles
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
|Lifetime repairs guarantee||
- Risk-mitigating services
- Local agents
- Round-the-clock claims
- Guaranteed repair network
- Financially strong
- Can’t file a claim online
- Lack of business-specific features
- Not all coverage available nationwide
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Paid in full discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||Hybrid car discount, Newly married discount|
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
An industry stalwart, Liberty Mutual sells commercial car insurance across the country. While its coverage is comprehensive, some states miss out on key features, like the lifetime repair guarantee.
The insurer offers risk-mitigating services for businesses with lots of drivers on the road, which sets it apart from many of its competitors. However, if you prefer online claims you may want to review other providers.
What commercial car insurance does Liberty Mutual offer?
Liberty Mutual offers comprehensive car insurance coverage for its commercial customers. Most coverage comes standard with your policy, and there are several add-ons to choose from.
- Bodily injury liability. Mandatory in most states, this helps to pay for the medical costs, loss of income and funeral expenses of other people when you cause an accident.
- Property damage liability. This required coverage repairs or replaces another driver’s car or property after an accident.
- Medical payments or PIP. This covers the initial medical treatment, as well as legal fees and lost income if you or anyone in your car is injured in an accident.
- Collision. An optional add-on, this pays for the damage to your car if you collide with another car or object like a building or tree. It also kicks in if someone hits your parked car.
- Comprehensive. Also optional, this takes care of damage or loss caused by things out of your control, such as theft, vandalism, storms, floods, fires or animals.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist. This covers the injuries or funeral costs of you or your employees, and the damage to your vehicle or property if you’re hit by a driver with little to no insurance.
What additional benefits does Liberty Mutual offer businesses?
- Liberty Mutual deductible fund. Enroll in this and you’ll save up to $100 on your collision deductible for as long as you’re a customer. To maintain it, contribute $30 annually — the insurer covers the other $70.
- Rental car reimbursement. With this coverage, the insurer covers the cost of a rental car until yours is fixed. It’s unlimited, but comes with a caveat: you have to get your car fixed at an approved facility.
- Accident forgiveness. Sign up for this add-on and Liberty Mutual won’t raise your rates after your first accident.
- Lifetime repair guarantee. If you use a shop within the Guaranteed Repair Network, the insurer guarantees the repairs for as long as you own the car.
- Towing and labor costs. Opt into this coverage and Liberty Mutual reimburses you for roadside assistance and towing to an in-network repair shop.
- New car replacement. Is your totaled car under a year old? If it’s got less than 15,000 miles, this optional coverage gives you the money for a brand-new car — not the depreciated value of your old car.
- Better car replacement. A similar add-on, this replaces your totaled car with another that’s a model year newer with 15,000 or fewer miles.
Where can I get commercial car insurance from Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual sells commercial car insurance nationwide, but coverage varies slightly from state to state.
For example, the lifetime repair guarantee isn’t open to Rhode Island residents, and accident forgiveness isn’t available in California. One of the insurer’s most unique offerings — new car replacement — doesn’t apply in North Carolina or Wyoming. And in some states, the guaranteed repair network is only available for private passenger vehicles, which is a make-or-break exclusion for some businesses.
To learn what coverage is and isn’t available in your state, your best bet is to contact a local agent.
What features does Liberty Mutual offer for business?
While Liberty Mutual’s list of coverage is long, its business-specific offerings are slim compared to other insurers.
- Decision driving. Dubbed a “risk control service,” this mitigates the risks involved in commercial driving by offering driver safety training for your vehicle operators.
- Managing Vital Driver Performance (MVDP). For larger companies, this tool uses vehicle operator data to monitor and flag unsafe driver behaviors like speeding, sharp turns and sudden braking.
- Tow truck insurance. Liberty Mutual has partnered with Trinity Towing to provide specialized coverage for tow trucks. The program isn’t active in Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio or Tennessee.
Liberty Mutual commercial car insurance reviews and complaints
Liberty Mutual has been in business for over a century. Today, it’s a Fortune 500 company and one of the top 10 largest auto insurers in the US. It holds an A rating with A.M Best, which means it’s financially strong and has the cash reserves to pay out claims.
The insurer is accredited with the Better Business Bureau and has earned a A+ rating for its operations, customer service and satisfaction. The BBB recorded 996 complaints in the last three years, all of which were addressed or resolved.
Its JD Power ratings are mixed, with the insurer ranking 6 out of 24 providers for car claims satisfaction, though its customer satisfaction is higher in California, New York and the Northwest and Southwest regions.
Pros and cons of Liberty Mutual commercial car insurance
- Risk-mitigating services. For businesses, Liberty Mutual offers driver safety training and can monitor unsafe driving behaviors like speeding.
- Local agents. The insurer operates with a network of local agents, which means you have a direct contact for questions.
- Round-the-clock claims. Liberty Mutual’s claims department is open 24/7, 365 days a year.
- Guaranteed repair network. If you take your car to an approved facility, you’ll be privy to priority status and discounts.
- Financially strong. Liberty Mutual has an A rating with A.M. Best and the resources to pay out claims.
- Can’t file a claim online. Business policyholders can only report a claim over the phone.
- Lack of business-specific features. Unlike its competitors, Liberty Mutual only has a handful of customized coverage for its commercial customers.
- Not all coverage available nationwide. Some states are exempt from the insurer’s major selling points, like New Car Replacement and Accident Forgiveness.
How to contact Liberty Mutual
If you have questions, contact one of Liberty Mutual’s business insurance agents.
To find an agent, follow these steps.
- Go to Liberty Mutual’s business insurance portal.
- Enter your city, state or address.
- Press Search. A list of local agents and their contact details appear.
Otherwise, you can reach the insurer by:
- Phone. Call customer service at 844-669-3663 on Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., or Sunday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Twitter. Tweet your questions to @AskLiberty.
- Facebook. Liberty Mutual is active on Messenger.
- Email. Complete the form on the Contact page.
What info do I need to apply?
You’ll need the following info for your application.
- Business registration, contact details and type of entity.
- Driver’s license number.
- Driving history.
- Make, model and condition of the car(s) you need coverage for.
- Estimated annual mileage.
- Details about the employees who will be driving those cars, including driver’s license numbers and driving records.
Alternatives to Liberty Mutual commercial car insurance
Frequently asked questions
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.