Discovering what coverage fits your needs is made simple through Liberty Mutual.
Car insurance through Liberty Mutual will give coverage options for almost any situation. Passengers, family members, and you can be protected under the various features available, including times when your family rides with other drivers.
|Name||Liberty Mutual Car Insurance|
|Description||Car insurance through Liberty Mutual will give coverage options for almost any situation.|
- Roadside assistance
- Accident forgiveness
- Collision coverage
- Better car replacement
- Coverage for every location
- Discounts: Multi-policy, exclusive group savings, preferred payment methods, new to Liberty Mutual, vehicle safety features, hybrid vehicle, multi-car, teen driver, good student, new graduate, newly married, new move, newly retired
- Coverage minimums vary by state
What is Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual is a mutual insurance company that was founded in 1912 in Boston, Massachusetts. Today, it is the fourth-largest property and casualty insurer in the United States with over $100 billion in protected assets. Its structure as a mutual insurance company means that policyholders are also considered shareholders.
This provider offers a range of auto insurance coverage options, appealing to customers from all demographics. With a dedication to customer service, Liberty Mutual makes the process of purchasing auto insurance understandable and easy. Its website empowers visitors to easily get a quote, check coverage minimums by state, and even purchase policies online to get coverage within minutes.
Where is Liberty Mutual auto insurance available?
Liberty Mutual’s impressive size and vast network of sales professionals extend its reach to 18 different countries and markets across the globe. Its auto insurance policies are available in all 50 states including the District of Columbia.
Who is Liberty Mutual auto insurance best for?
Liberty Mutual auto insurance is available across the nation with policy options ranging from state minimums to comprehensive coverage. Its prices are competitive, but not quite as low as some of the budget auto insurance providers. With a wide selection of policy options on an assortment of vehicles, Liberty Mutual is best for those who value great coverage backed by excellent service.
What auto insurance coverage does Liberty Mutual offer?
Choosing the right auto insurance provider also means finding a policy that works for your situation. Liberty Mutual offers a range of coverage options to get you the protection you need.
- Bodily injury liability coverage. Medical expenses, legal fees, loss of income, pain and suffering, and funeral costs are covered for the other party when you are found legally responsible for an auto accident. Legal defense costs are also covered if you are sued by the injured party for damages.
- Property damage coverage. Covers the cost of repairing and replacing property that you’ve damaged with your vehicle. This can be anything from a tricycle in a driveway to another vehicle.
- Medical payments coverage. Whether or not you are at fault, initial medical coverage for you and your passengers will be covered. This also includes any injuries cohabitating family members sustain in another person’s vehicle or as pedestrians.
- Collision coverage. Any repairs needed as a result of an accident that involves a collision with another vehicle or an object, such as a pylon or a fence, will be covered under this optional feature.
- Comprehensive coverage. Covers the cost of any repairs needed due to fire, theft, or other non-collision damages.
- New auto replacement. Offered as a standard feature, this option covers you in the event that your auto is completely totaled. Liberty Mutual will pay for a new vehicle if your totaled vehicle is under a year old and has less than 15,000 miles on it.
- Better auto replacement. An additional feature that can be added, no matter the age or mileage on your auto. This feature provides a payout to replace your current vehicle with a newer model when yours is totaled.
- Teachers auto insurance. If you are an educator, there are extra features that come standard on your policy. One of these features include $0 deductibles if your vehicle is vandalized or damaged in a collision when on school property or attending school events.
Discounts on Liberty Mutual auto insurance
Liberty Mutual offers an assortment of discounts on its auto insurance policies. Here are a few of the many available discounts:
- Multi-policy discount. Get discounted rates when you have multiple types of insurance with Liberty Mutual.
- New vehicle discount. Receive a discount when you add or change a vehicle on your policy.
- Paid in full discount. Receive a discount for paying your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Safety features discount. Get discounted rates when insuring vehicles with safety features such as anti-lock brakes and airbags.
- Multi-vehicle discount. Receive a discount when you add multiple vehicles to your auto insurance policy with Liberty Mutual.
- Teen driver discount. Discounted rates reward teen drivers for responsible driving
- Good driver discount. Drivers with clean driving records can receive discounted rates.
While its prices are already competitive, these discounts might be the extra incentive you need to choose this provider.
Does Liberty Mutual offer any special programs?
Liberty Mutual offers a suite of additional programs and features to supplement its already impressive auto insurance coverage:
- Roadside assistance. Tows, jump starts, emergency fuel, changing flats, and unlocking vehicles are available 24-hours a day.
- Accident forgiveness. If you are accident-free and violation-free for 5 years your first auto accident will not raise your rates.
- Better auto replacement. Should your auto be totaled you can get money to cover a better auto with 15,000 fewer miles and a year newer.
- Coverage for every location. Liberty Mutual can assist with getting a policy that meets your state’s specific requirements.
- Coverage calculator. If you’re unsure of what types of coverage are right for you, Liberty Mutual offers a free system that allows you to determine what best fits your needs and your budget.
- Deductible fund. An additional feature that can be added, this allows you to keep a pool of money available to put towards your deductible in the event of an accident. Every year that you keep this feature, Liberty Mutual will add $100 to the fund.
- Rental auto reimbursement. This will cover the cost of rental auto as long as your auto is in a Liberty Mutual-approved shop for repairs from an accident.
- Mobile apps. Liberty Mutual offers mobile apps for both iPhone and Android. Use the app to manage your account, file claims and more.
Get your personalized auto quote
Use our magical comparison tool to find providers with the best rates in your area.
Pros and cons of Liberty Mutual auto insurance
- Comprehensive coverage. This provider is home to a wide range of coverage options backed by a lengthy list of additional programs. Its policies offer great coverage and a handful of features that you may not find with other providers.
- Great website. The website is convenient, informative, and easy to navigate. Visitors have easy access to policy details, educational resources, and account management.
- Convenience. Liberty Mutual’s online quote/application process and claims center make it convenient for those who don’t have a local agent nearby.
- Impersonal. This provider does have a network of sales agents throughout the country, but many of its policies are sold online and by phone. While many other providers strive to provide a personal experience through independent agents, this provider’s services are a bit more impersonal.
- Price. Though its prices are competitive, its policies are not always the cheapest option. Depending on your choice of policy, you may be better off with another provider.
Liberty Mutual auto insurance customer reviews
On the BBB website, Liberty Mutual holds an A- rating and is officially accredited since 1931. It has a composite score of 3.3 out of 5 possible stars, a rating that considers both its letter grade and its long list of customer complaints. Most issues with this provider involve a lack of communication, denied claims, and billing issues.
However, you should always keep in mind that most customers only leave reviews when service is either extraordinary or terrible. This means that there are likely thousands of customers who are satisfied with the service but never bothered to leave a review about it. Speak with friends and family or other customers to get a better idea of what to expect from this company.
How to apply for Liberty Mutual auto Insurance
Applying for auto insurance can be done online, by phone or in person. In many cases, you can even get covered within minutes. Here’s how to get started:
- Start by visiting the official Liberty Mutual website, hovering over the “Products” option in the drop-down menu, and clicking “Get a quote”.
- Choose auto insurance, then input your zip code and click “Get my price”
- Enter your address information, then click “Save & continue”.
- Enter your personal information, then click “Save & continue”.
- Add your vehicle information or VIN number, then click “Save & continue”.
- Enter any additional vehicle details, then click “Save & continue”.
- Enter your driver information, then click “Save & continue”.
- Enter any additional driver details, then click “Save & continue”.
- Review and enter any additional final details, then click “Save & continue”.
- Review your quote. If you’re satisfied, proceed to purchase your policy.
If you’d rather get a quote and apply for coverage by phone, you can start by calling 1-866-681-9325.
If you prefer to speak with an agent face to face, you can use the agent locator tool on Liberty Mutual’s website to find your nearest agent.
What do I need to apply?
Regardless of how you choose to apply, having the following information on hand can speed up your application process.
- Name and date of birth
- Social Security Number
- Residential address
- Vehicle information, including estimated annual mileage
- Prior insurance
- Claim and credit history
- Education history and employment status
How to file an auto insurance claim with Liberty Mutual
Convenience is a major selling point of Liberty Mutual’s services, and filing a claim is no exception. After an accident, you can report a claim online, by phone, or through the mobile apps. Here’s how:
- Visit the official Liberty Mutual website then scroll down and click “File a claim”
- Log in to your Liberty Mutual account
- Enter any necessary information, then proceed to submit your claim.
- A representative will reach out with more details or you can log in to check claim status.
Start by calling 1-844-825-2467 to speak with a representative. They can walk you through the entire process.
You can also file a claim directly through the iPhone and Android mobile apps. Simply open the app, navigate to the claims center, select file a new claim, and proceed through each of the steps.
What do I need to file a claim?
Regardless of how you file your claim, having the following information on hand can help speed up the process:
- Driver details for all parties
- Vehicle details for all parties
- Incident details
- Insurance information for all parties
How do I contact Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual makes it easy to get in touch with a number of options. Visit the “Contact” page on the official website for details on how to connect via email, phone, social media, mail, and more.
What other types of coverage does Liberty Mutual offer?
Liberty Mutual isn’t just an auto insurance provider, it offers coverage options for a wide variety of other types of property. Here are just a few examples of what’s available:
- Antique & classic car
- Boat & watercraft
- ATV & off-road vehicles
- Umbrella policies
- Mobile home
- Identity theft
What are some of Liberty Mutual’s top competitors?
Liberty Mutual offers a wide selection of coverage options backed by great customer service and a convenient online platform. From state minimums to medical payments coverage and beyond, this provider has something for everyone. However, if you’re looking for a more personal experience, you may want to look elsewhere.
As always, compare your auto insurance options to find a provider and policy that best suits your needs.
Frequently asked questions about Liberty Mutual auto insurance