LendingTree auto loans service review
This online loan marketplace may be able to help you find an auto loan with competitive rates.
LendingTree is a loan connection service that may be able to connect you to one of its trusted lending partners with a single online form. Letting LendingTree do the legwork means you can spend more time comparing offers — and getting one within your budget. But be prepared to field phone calls and emails from lenders in its network — even after you’ve taken out a loan.
Starting at 1%
What makes LendingTree auto loans unique?
LendingTree allows you to compare a wide variety of auto loan providers in one place, including potential offers for refinancing, new car purchases, used car purchases and lease buyouts. After inputting your information, you can see live rates based on today’s market. Even if you aren’t financing a car through LendingTree, it’s a great way to learn what to expect before negotiating with a dealer.
How does LendingTree make money?
LendingTree makes money by sharing your information and auto loan needs with its network of lenders. It may also get a commission when you ultimately choose a lender and sign a contract.
What are LendingTree auto loans?
LendingTree does’t offer auto loans directly. It’s an online marketplace that can connect you with lenders offering different kinds of car loans.
You may be able to get a loan for a new or used car or to refinance your current auto loan at a lower rate. You can also find financing to buy out a lease.
Loan amounts, rates and terms can vary by lender.
What are the rates?
The rate you get depends on your lender, the type of car loan and the loan term. Rates on new car loans typically start at 1%. Used car loans tend to come with slightly higher APRs, starting at 3.80% APR.
Generally, the longer the term, the higher the rate you’ll pay. Choosing a 36-month term comes with the lowest rates, while 72-month terms are the most expensive.
What other vehicles can I finance through LendingTree?
LendingTree’s partners also provide funding for the following vehicles:
- Boats. Finance a sailboat, bass boat, pontoon or aluminum boat through this lender. Financing starts at $1,000 for all credit types.
- Watercraft. Get financing or refinance a jet ski, superjet, wetbike, flyboard or wave blaster.
- Motorcycles. Find lender financing for a cruiser, moped, scooter sports bike, touring or dual sports vehicle.
- RVs. Funding for new and used campers, trailers, motor homes and toy haulers.
- Powersport vehicles. Pay for an ATV, UTV, side-by-side or snowmobile with loans from $1,000 to $100,000.
What are the benefits of LendingTree auto loans?
From its convenience to its wide range of options, here are a few perks of using LendingTree:
- One simple form. You won’t have to fill out multiple forms to get multiple offers.
- A lot of options. LendingTree’s network could open up options you may not otherwise have considered.
- Multiple financing types. Whether you’re looking to purchase a car or refinance an existing auto loan, LendingTree may be able to help you find a lender.
What to watch out for
Consider these potential drawbacks before using LendingTree’s car loan matching service:
- Shares your personal information. LendingTree connects you to lenders by sharing the information you provide, including contact information, financial details and your car model.
- Complaints about phone calls and emails. Even after you’ve accepted a loan offer through LendingTree, you may still receive phone calls and emails from lenders vying for your business.
- Not all options are good options. Depending on your credit history, you may receive offers that aren’t competitive. You may want to compare car loans outside of LendingTree to get a full picture of what you might be eligible for.
Compare more auto loan providers
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
LendingTree auto loans reviews and complaints
LendingTree gets mostly positive reviews when it comes to its auto loans service. As of June 2019, Trustpilot users give it a 9 out of 10 rating. Better Business Bureau (BBB) reviewers are slightly less favorable, giving it just over 3 out of 5 stars. LendingTree has an A- BBB rating due to the fact that it hasn’t responded to two complaints filed against the company.
Borrowers were happy with how quickly they could get funding through LendingTree. One mentioned that they had bad credit and had been struggling to find a car loan before visiting LendingTree.
Am I eligible?
Eligibility requirements vary by lender, but you typically must meet the following criteria:
- At least 18 years old
- US resident
- Good to excellent credit
- Qualifying vehicle
How do I get started?
After you’ve double-checked you’re eligible, follow these steps to compare your loan options:
- Choose the Go to site button on this page.
- Select the type of auto loan you’re looking for.
- Select the loan term you’re interested in.
- Follow the directions to fill in information about the type of car and car loan you’d like.
- Enter information about yourself and your personal finances.
- Create login credentials.
- Answer a few questions about your living arrangements.
- Enter your Social Security number and hit View Free Offers.
What do I need to apply?
After you submit your information to LendingTree’s site, lenders will contact you with potential loan offers. According to LendingTree’s website, your lender will likely ask for your:
- Social Security number.
- Driver’s license.
- Most recent income tax return.
- Bank statements.
- Information about your employer.
- Information about the type of car you’re financing.
- Legal documentation of residency.
The lender will review your information and approve or deny your request for an auto loan within several days to two weeks.
I got an auto loan using LendingTree’s service. Now what?
Once you’ve found a lender through LendingTree’s auto loan service, take the following steps:
- Carefully read through the contract before signing. Confirm the terms and conditions match with what you originally agreed to with the lender. Make sure you understand potential fees — like origination or early repayment fees — to avoid any surprises down the road.
- Sign up for automatic repayments. This can help you avoid late payment penalties and ensure that you don’t miss a payment.
- Contact customer service with questions. Reach out to the lender you’re matched with — not LendingTree — if you have any questions about your account or loan balance.
LendingTree could be a good fit for potential car buyers who want personalized offers through a streamlined process. However, some users complain about receiving calls and emails even after they’ve chosen a lender.
If you’re unsure about LendingTree, you can compare other options to find an auto loan that fits your specific needs.
Frequently asked questions
How do I pay off my LendingTree auto loan early?
Usually your can pay off your car loan early, but you may be subject to early repayment fees or required to pay any interest that would have accumulated if you hadn’t paid the loan off early. Reviewing your contract will help shed light on your terms and conditions.
Can I refinance an existing auto loan with LendingTree?
Yes, LendingTree offers auto refinancing that could save you money with a lower rate or better terms. Calculate your potential auto refinance savings with LendingTree’s online calculator.
How do I stop getting calls and emails from LendingTree lenders?
Start by requesting to be put on LendingTree’s Do Not Call list. You may need to contact lenders individually to be taken off of those lenders’ call lists as well.