LegalShield online legal services review
A basic retainer-style legal service for individuals, families and businesses.
LegalShield offers everyday online legal services. This subscription-based resource can give you peace of mind knowing that you can speak to an attorney on the phone for legal advice. But you may get stuck with a hefty legal bill if you have a unique and complicated situation.
What services does LegalShield provide?
LegalShield offers subscriptions to individuals, families and businesses for legal advice and representation. From personal matters to business disputes, LegalShield covers many areas of law.
An overview of LegalShield’s most popular services:
- Estate planning. Attorneys prepare wills to determine distribution of property and assets divided after your death. Or arrange a living will and durable power of attorney in case you’re ever incapacitated and can’t provide informed consent.
- Family law. Get representation for uncontested separation, annulment, divorce or adoption.
- IRS audit services. Advice and legal assistance if your tax return is audited. Members also receive pretrial representation for settlement conferences and legal counsel for trial appearances.
- Trial defense. Provides legal representation for you or your spouse in a civil suit.
- Debt collection services. Your attorney can send up collection letters to help collect debts owed to your business.
- Form a business entity. LegalShield completes and files all the paperwork required to help you form a business entity. It includes three months of legal support after you form your business.
How does LegalShield work?
Instead of paying a lawyer’s hourly fees that can add up quickly, you pay a monthly subscription to LegalShield for legal help — like a lawyer on retainer. They cover most scenarios that may require legal services, but if your situation is a bit more exotic, you can work with a specialized attorney at 25% off their standard hourly rate.
You can speak to a lawyer on an unlimited number of personal legal matters, get access to legal forms and have your documents reviewed by an attorney. A legal professional can also draft and negotiate contracts on your behalf at extra cost.
How much does LegalShield cost?
|Plan||Description||Price||Add-ons and upgrades|
|Small Business Legal Plan|
|Commercial Driver Plan|
Not available in HI, MA, NV, NJ, or NY.
|Identity Theft Plan|
Does LegalShield have a free trial?
No. But you can cancel your membership at any time, and LegalShield will refund the unused portion of your monthly fee.
- Coverage for your entire family. You, your spouse and dependent children are covered under your personal plan.
- 24/7 emergency access. Use the emergency line to speak to an attorney immediately if you’ve been detained by authorities, are injured in a car or motorcycle accident or are served with a warrant.
- Legal forms. Access state-specific legal documents for small businesses and personal use.
- Waiting period. Certain services, like a divorce, require membership for 90 consecutive days. After you apply, you’ll need to wait 12 to 24 hours for LegalShield to review your application and another four hours to speak to an attorney.
- Add-ons can get expensive. If your basic plan doesn’t cover your unique situation, you’ll pay 75% of an attorney’s hourly rate. But you won’t know how much it’ll cost you until after you sign up.
- Attorneys are assigned. LegalShield assigns a lawyer based on your legal needs. You may not work with the same attorney each time, but you’ll always work with the same law firm.
Compare online legal services
Tackling any legal situation can be tricky to navigate if you’re unaware of the laws surrounding the matter at hand. Consider reaching out to a legal service for professional guidance.
Alternatives to LegalShield
While you can always get on the phone with an attorney at LegalShield, it may be challenging to get a quick answer to a legal question. For a library of legal articles and a do-it-yourself approach, you may want to take a look at Nolo.
If you prefer to choose your own attorney, consider LegalZoom. Its database of licensed lawyers of different specialties from all over the country come with real customer reviews.
LegalShield reviews and complaints
As of October 2020, reviews for LegalShield are mixed. Some customers praise how their attorneys have gotten them out of legal pickles — one attorney drove 2.5 hours to represent a client in traffic court. Other users complain about poor customer service and difficulty following up with their lawyer after the initial call.
LegalShield may be a good option if you need simple legal forms and superficial advice. Make sure your plan covers your legal situation before signing up, or you may be left with extra costs and out-of-pocket attorney fees.