Leap Life review 2020
Get matched with an insurance provider and policy tailored to your specific situation.
finder.com’s rating: 5.0 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you need to be matched with an insurance provider that meets your specific needs.
- Choose a different provider if you live in New York or Massachusetts and want to work directly with a provider.
18 to 75
$100,000 to $5,000,000
Depends on provider and policy
Medical Exam Required
Julia Cameron is a writer and editor who has experience in finance, mergers and acquisitions, content marketing and immigration law. She has a passion for interior design and an affinity for Old Florida, where she lives with her family.
Leap Life cuts down on some of the legwork by connecting you with quotes from 10 life insurance providers. Most of the insurers in its stable only offer term life insurance, so if you’re looking for a permanent policy, you might be able to access more features and riders by going directly to a provider. Similarly, if you have a pre-existing health condition, you could find better rates elsewhere.
What types of life insurance coverage does Leap Life offer?
Leap Life is not a direct insurance provider. Instead, it matches you with the provider that best suits your situation. Because Leap Life works with over 10 providers, you’ll have access to all of the standard life insurance coverage, including:
- Level term
A level term policy guarantees that your premium remains the same throughout the duration of your policy. The policy expires at the end of the term and no benefits are paid out if you outlive that term.
- Accidental death
This is usually the least expensive option. Like a term policy, accidental death is for a set period of time. But the policy only pays out in the event of an accidental death and typically doesn’t cover death from an illness.
A whole policy covers you for life and your premiums will remain the same throughout the policy.
Universal life insurance also covers you for life, but offers more flexibility. With a universal policy, you can increase or decrease your death benefits and adjust your premiums accordingly.
What riders can I add to my life insurance policy?
The insurance provider you get matched up with will determine what riders you might be able to add to your policy. Some of the most common include:
- Accelerated death benefit. If you’re diagnosed with a chronic, critical or terminal illness, this rider allows you to tap into your benefits before death.
- Child term. This allows you to add term life insurance for your children.
- Waiver of premium. With this benefit, if you’re disabled or lose income because of an injury or illness, you will no longer have to pay your premiums.
- Disability income. This benefit supplies supplementary income in the event you are completely disabled.
How can I get a low rate?
The cost of your policy will be determined by several factors, including what type of coverage you’re applying for, your gender, age and the coverage amount. Other factors that affect the cost include:
- Medical history
- Family health history
- Nicotine use
Pros and cons
- Flexibility. Apply online and get a decision instantly, or speak with one of Leap Life’s specialists to get guidance selecting a policy tailored to your needs.
- More options. Because Leap Life works with a number of providers, you’ll have access to many types of policies and add-on options.
- Curated providers. Leap Life only works with insurance providers that have been rated “Excellent” or “Superior” with AM Best.
- NY and MA excluded. Leap Life’s services are unavailable to residents in New York and Massachusetts.
- Term bias. Most of the carriers that Leap Life only offer term life insurance.
- Limited options for pre-existing conditions. The amount of carriers available to you will vary significantly if you have a pre-existing condition, such as kidney disease.
Compare other life insurance companies
Leap Life reviews and complaints
Leap Life is accredited with the BBB and receives an A+ rating from the organization. Currently, Leap Life has zero complaints and zero reviews with the BBB.
On TrustPilot, 89% of 63 reviews fall into the “Excellent” category, with a TrustScore of 9.2/10.
How does Leap Life protect my data?
Leap Life uses physical, administrative and technological safeguards to protect your data. However, Leap Life notes that “no system is impenetrable.” If any of your data is compromised, Leap Life will notify you, investigate the breach and follow all applicable laws and regulations.
Personal information that could be collected by Leap Life includes your name, email address, phone number, your employer, income and health insurance coverages. Leap Life might share this info with underwriting, third parties and service providers that perform services for Leap Life, companies owned by Leap Life and third parties whose products or services you might be interested in.
How do I sign up?
To get a free quote, you can either give Leap Life a call or fill out some info online. Follow these steps to get an online quote:
- On Leap Life’s homepage, click Get Your Quote or Get Started.
- Fill out information about yourself like age, height, weight, gender, where you live and whether you smoke. Then click Get Your Rate.
- You’ll then be asked if the policy is for you or someone else, whether you’re a citizen or green-card holder, and questions about your health. Click Next.
- Answer questions about risk factors such as DUI, medications, bankruptcy and dangerous hobbies. If you’re taking any prescription medications, you’ll be asked to enter those on the next page.
- You’ll then be presented with quotes that you can customize. If you’re happy with the quote you’ve selected, continue to the application process, where you’ll answer questions about basics, health, lifestyle and payment.
I’ve signed up. What happens next?
Approval can be instant when you apply online, or it may take longer when applying over the phone.
Once you are approved, set up your online account, if one is available for your policy. There you can manage your policy and possibly set up auto-pay to ensure payments are made on time.
More about Leap Life
Leap Life has been in operation since 2017. It matches its customers with life insurance policies that fit their situation and needs. It serves all US states except New York and Massachusetts.
While it’s a good way to compare 10 providers at once, make sure you’re getting the best possible policy by comparing life insurance providers on your own.
Frequently asked questions
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.