Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.

Landlord insurance vs home insurance

Get protection for your home and your rental income.

Our top pick: USAA home insurance

  • Multi-policy discounts
  • Easy-to-use mobile app
  • ID theft coverage
Go to site

Home insurance protects your home against damage or accidents. Landlord insurance covers you for the same things, but a comprehensive policy can also protect you against a host of other problems.

What’s the difference between landlord insurance and home insurance?

A typical home insurance policy won’t cover you if you rent the house or apartment out. A landlord policy will cover renters, and it covers everything normal home insurance does along with extra protection for problems unique to landlords.

Like home insurance, landlord insurance covers damage to your building. If you choose to add personal property coverage, it’ll also cover any belongings you keep in the home — but it won’t cover your tenants’ belongings.

What will landlord insurance cover?

Most landlord insurance policies offer protection against:

  • Loss of rental income if your home is damaged and you can’t rent it out
  • Medical and legal expenses if someone is injured on your property

You may also be able to add on additional coverage for:

  • Loss of rental income if a tenant doesn’t pay their rent
  • Legal costs for wrongful eviction and unlawful entry lawsuits
  • Repair costs if a tenant or someone else vandalizes the property

Features included in landlord insurance vs home insurance

Coverage will vary from policy to policy, and a lot of insurance options are add-ons. But a premium policy can cover:

Type of damage or lossLandlord insuranceHome insurance
Liability for injuries
Liability for wrongful eviction or unlawful entry
Loss of rental income
Malicious damage by tenant

How to choose the right landlord insurance

As a landlord, there are three areas you need to protect: your building, the belongings that you keep in the building and your rental income from that investment. Here’s how to make sure you have the best landlord coverage:

  • Decide what needs to be protected. If you don’t keep much inside the property or if losing its contents won’t break the bank, you may be able to get away with just dwelling coverage.
  • Decide what type of dwelling coverage you want. Choose whether you want to insure your building for its replacement cost, which covers repairing or rebuilding the home after a covered event, or its market value, which is what you’d pay to buy it in current market conditions. Market value generally offers less comprehensive coverage, but is also less expensive.
  • Read and re-read the exclusions in your policy documents. These are the situations where you won’t be covered. For example, you won’t be covered for floods unless you buy a separate flood insurance policy, and you likely have a cap on liability costs. If you’re not familiar with your policy’s exclusions, it can be easy to overlook a key piece of information.

Compare home and landlord insurance policies

Name Product Storm & water backup Valuable property Enhanced rebuild Homeshare coverage Available states
USAA home insurance
All 50 states
Enjoy great rates and wide coverage with USAA. Available to military members and family.
Allstate home insurance
All 50 states
Protect your home and belongings and save even more by bundling insurance with Allstate.
Gabi home insurance
Gabi home insurance
All 50 states
Get free quotes from top insurers for the exact coverage you need in minutes.
Kin home insurance
Get coverage fast with policies designed to protect coastal homes.
Policygenius home insurance
All 50 states
This online marketplace does most of the work for you, matching you with quotes from 14 highly rated home insurers.
Progressive home insurance
All 50 states
Protect your home and auto insurance with Progressive to save a bundle.

Compare up to 4 providers

Bottom line

If you rent a home or apartment out to tenants, a home insurance policy won’t cover you. Compare landlord insurance policies to find one that offers coverage that fits your needs and budget.

Frequently asked questions about home and landlord insurance

Image source: Getty Images

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site