Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How does Kohl’s Cash work?
Get 5% back in Kohl's Cash after spending $100 — and up to 10% back during special earn periods.
- 5% back in Kohl’s Cash on all purchases
- $10 for every $50 you spend during “earn periods”
- No brand exclusions (except Kohl’s Cares items)
- Birthday gift
- Kohl’s Cash awarded during an “earn” period can only be redeemed during a specific 14-day period
- Regular Kohl’s Cash expires after 30 days
- Points that aren’t converted into Cash expire after a year
How does Kohl’s Cash work?
Kohl’s Rewards is a free loyalty program that rewards you with one point for every dollar spent. When you reach 100 points, you’ll get $5 in Kohl’s Cash — basically, a $5 coupon.
Kohl’s Cash is issued on the first Monday of every month. After you make a purchase at Kohl’s, the reward points will be reflected in your online account within 24 hours.
You’ll be notified via email when you’ve accumulated enough points to get that $5 coupon. If you download the app, it’ll also send you a notification. You have 30 days to spend those savings before they expire, and you’ll receive digital reminders that you have Kohl’s Cash available.
Kohl’s will also send you a birthday gift, personalized deals and additional perks like exclusive coupons when you join the program.
- If you were a part of the Yes2You loyalty reward program, your points will automatically be converted into Kohl’s Rewards.
Kohl’s has special “earn periods” a couple of times a month, during which you’ll earn 10% back in Kohl’s Cash. That means you’ll get a $5 coupon after spending only $50.
You’ll get an email when these periods begin, but Kohl’s hasn’t published an annual calendar of its earn periods. Expect that you’ll learn when the next earn period starts a couple of days in advance.
- Kohl’s Cash that you earn during an earn period can only be redeemed during a specific 14-day period during the next month.
- For example, Kohl’s had an “earn period” from February 24 to February 28 in 2021. Shoppers had to spend the Cash they earned during that period from March 1 through March 14, 2021— after that, the Kohl’s Cash expired.
What happens to my Kohl’s Cash when I make a return?
- If you return a product that you paid for using Kohl’s Cash, the value of the Kohl’s Cash will be returned to your account and remain valid for 30 days
- If you return a product that you earned Kohl’s Cash on, the Kohl’s Cash you earned will be deducted from your account and you’ll get a full refund to the original form of payment.
- If you return a product that earned you Kohl’s Cash and you already spent that Kohl’s Cash, then your refund will be the amount you originally paid, less the value of the Kohl’s cash.
Can I use expired Kohl’s Cash?
No. After it expires, it’ll disappear from you account and you won’t be able to use it.
How to sign up for Kohl’s Rewards
Here’s how to start saving every time you shop at Kohl’s:
- Go to Kohl’s Rewards.
- Select Enroll Now.
- Next, you’ll be prompted to sign in or create a Kohl’s account. After that, your points are automatically tracked with every purchase you make — but make sure you’re logged in.
- *If you enroll online then go shopping in person, you’ll enter your phone number at checkout to bring up your account.
After joining, you may want to download the Kohl’s app. From there, you can access a barcode that the Kohl’s cashier can scan to bring up your account whenever you make an in-store purchase.
How do I check my reward balance?
To check your reward balance, log into Kohl’s Rewards online or through the app. Go to your account — your balance will be displayed under Kohl’s Rewards.
Kohl’s Rewards vs. other loyalty programs
Compared to other popular shopping loyalty programs, Kohl’s Rewards is about as good as you can get with free membership and 5% back. Here’s the breakdown at a few leading retailers.
|Kohl’s Rewards||Free||5% back|
|Macy’s Star Rewards||Join for free as a Bronze member or open a Macy’s credit card for higher-tier rewards||Depending on your tier, choose between 1%, 2%, 3% and 5%|
|Target Circle||Join for free or open a Target credit card for higher-tier rewards||1% or 5% for shoppers with a Target credit card|
|Sears||Free||10 points for every $1 spent|
|Marshalls TJX Rewards||Must open a TJX Rewards credit card||5% back|
Current Kohl’s deals
There’s no downside to signing up for Kohl’s Rewards, because you’ll start racking up purchases with every point you make. But if you don’t feel like signing up for another loyalty program or won’t shop frequently enough to spend $100 in a year, consider a cashback app, rebate program or different loyalty program instead.
Can I earn Kohl’s Cash when I buy Kohl’s gift cards?
Nope. You won’t earn Kohl’s Cash when you buy gift cards. And you can’t redeem Kohl’s Cash on Kohl’s gift cards or Kohl’s Cares products.
Can I use Kohl’s Cash on sale items?
Yes! It can be used on sale items, full-priced items and applied to other promotions too.
Will I earn rewards on taxes and fees?
No. You’ll only earn rewards, and therefore Kohl’s Cash, on the price you pay after all other discounts are applied, not including taxes or fees like shipping.
What if I need help with my Kohl’s Rewards account?
Call its customer service team at 844-564-5704 to get help.
More guides on Finder
HMBradley account review
HMBradley is a hybrid checking and savings account that earns up to 3.0% APY.
AARP Travel Rewards Mastercard from Barclays review
A strong travel cashback card with no annual fee.
AARP Essential Rewards Mastercard from Barclays review
A solid rewards card with a few particular strengths that make it stand out.
Quontic Bank High Interest Checking account review
This Quontic Bank checking account has a seriously competitive APY — 25 times the national average.
Best credit card combinations
Use these credit card combinations to boost your rewards earnings.
Stash debit card review
The Stash debit card earns fractional shares as rewards, but balances don’t earn interest.
Sephora Credit Card review
Sephora regulars get to earn rewards on their purchases.
How to start investing in your 20s: 7 tips for beginners
7 tips for starting a portfolio if you’re new to investing.
Top 6 colognes handpicked by our team
Whether you’re looking for a gift or a new signature scent, check out these top men’s colognes our team swears by. Plus, learn where to get free samples.
How to deal with debt when you have bad credit
Credit counseling, debt relief programs and more options to consider.
Ask an Expert